D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 250 54.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 211 45.8%

Faolyn

(she/her)
If I don't allow any feature or background, it won't be for a "random" reason. You may not agree with what I restrict or why, but calling it "random" is pretty inflammatory.
The reasons you've given thus far is because you think it's illogical or magical because of your interpretation, despite other people (not just me) pointing out ways that it can be very logical and mundane.

That seems incredibly random to me. If I were your player, I'd have to hope you find something logical enough to allow it.

Oofta

Legend
The reasons you've given thus far is because you think it's illogical or magical because of your interpretation, despite other people (not just me) pointing out ways that it can be very logical and mundane.

That seems incredibly random to me. If I were your player, I'd have to hope you find something logical enough to allow it.
You have not "proven" anything. You're just dismissive of anyone not playing your one true way.

Neither a sailor nor a criminal have contacts around the world in my games. If that doesn't work for you find a different DM.

soviet

Hero
You have not "proven" anything. You're just dismissive of anyone not playing your one true way.

Neither a sailor nor a criminal have contacts around the world in my games. If that doesn't work for you find a different DM.
It isn't necessarily that they have a global network of contacts. It's that 'game recognises game' and they can make those contacts.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Dude. When I disagreed with you, you called me a rules lawyer. How is that not dismissive and inflammatory?

Edit: I also didn't say "proven." I said "pointed out."

I don't care if they don't work in your game. That's your game. You're trying to claim that they're objectively bad because of the way you interpret them, and that my interpretations of them are illogical and rely on magic--which is also dismissive.

mamba

Legend
Sure, but once you do establish the new contact via roleplaying, the ability should now work within that domain in Ravenloft. It might take some time and travel, but you could eventually set up contacts in each domain.
yes, but at that point it is no longer so much a feature as a consequence of you roleplaying, and anyone could have done that (I allowed for it being somewhat easier for the criminal background, that was it)

mamba

Legend
Should backgrounds develop, or are they things that happened in the past and there they are? If the later, then should the game award backgrounds as players do things? If you literally save the peasants in the kingdom from the horde of slavers that tried to take over, then why aren't you a "Hero of the People"? If you've spent ten levels of advancement and a year in game time sailing the seas, do you get "Sailor"? If not, what exactly did your (possibly) late teen/young adult character do that was more!?
you kinda answer your own question in the last sentence. Of course you saving the kingdom essentially makes you the folk hero and you get similar benefits, I would not consider it a background however.

To me a background is what you did before the adventure starts, anything during the adventure of course has similar consequences, that is why I proposed making contact with the shady figures in Ravenloft in the first place

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Would it be accurate to say you lean on the side of it working if it is at all plausible, give them something even if its not what they want, and there are sometimes where it just won't but maybe signal that to the player before they invest a lot in it if you know its coming?

@Oofta and @mamba, upthread @Faolyn agreed with this? How does it sound to you?

Remove ads