• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 259 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 227 46.7%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
and yet you were constantly looking for how to explain why the highly improbable is what is happening rather than even considering whether it actually should…
The highly improbable happens all the time, so what does probability have to do with logic, consistency, and interconnectivity with reference to setting details? I also don't see how this tangent relates to the timing of when setting details are made up by RPG participants.

Oofta

Legend
The highly improbable happens all the time, so what does probability have to do with logic, consistency, and interconnectivity with reference to setting details? I also don't see how this tangent relates to the timing of when setting details are made up by RPG participants.

The highly improbable happens on rare occasions (otherwise they wouldn't be highly improbable), but when it happens repeatedly it is no longer improbable. It's automatic and guaranteed. It's fine that it doesn't bother you, all we ask is that you accept that it's an issue with some people.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think this is an apples and oranges comparison. There's a world of difference between play by post which takes weeks to accomplish what can be done in 5-20 minutes in a sit down game, and a 5-20 minute sidebar. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't do sidebars that last longer than a few minutes out of respect for the other players, but they still aren't the same as a play by post game. The time frame differences are just too dissimilar.
Oh, that's absolutely true - I just meant that I can empathize with the concern about getting the game to its conclusion. That's the part that is similar.

It is very different when it comes to talking to NPCs and RPing your character's thoughts and words, which PBP is very good at. Exploration is a bit difficult in PBP (the usual 'herding cats' of D&D is made difficult by the format) and Combat can be even more of a slog in some ways. Frankly, D&D is not the best fit game for the PBP format, and the 5e Adventures are drastically too long for PBP.

Which is another similarity. The best D&D adventures to avoid the problem that @Hussar has, and the problems of PBP are the shortest ones, like old 32-pagers, game day/event adventures, Dungeon or DMs Guild adventures. That sort of thing. NOT the 5e "Adventure Path"-style hardcovers.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The highly improbable happens on rare occasions (otherwise they wouldn't be highly improbable), but when it happens repeatedly it is no longer improbable. It's automatic and guaranteed. It's fine that it doesn't bother you, all we ask is that you accept that it's an issue with some people.
How often does it happen repeatedly, though?

Going by things even you have said, these features rarely come up, if ever--which strongly suggests that "repeatedly" is a thing that never actually happens.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
let’s ignore the sailor here, because that is a completely different case and worded completely differently…

The problem with your ‘ought to succeed’ and ignoring what the world looks like is that it is the world that gets in the way of it succeeding, so your ‘I care about a logical game’ bit ignores the world it takes place in, which is a large part of why anything would be considered logical or not

So all you really care about is whether it is consistent with your interpretation of the rules, not with the world, at which point your

becomes empty posturing

Either you have to consider the world as described to achieve logic and consistency or they are not all that important after all. You cannot just ignore the world because it would be convenient for you and claim logic and consistency are not affected by that

So to get rid of the cop out (you do like those..) of ‘every world is different, so I ignore it in my answer’, let’s go with the Ravenloft as described by me. Vistani can travel the mists, they can decide what other domain in Ravenloft they go to (unlike anyone else…), but they can never leave Ravenloft.

Your character is from some other world and did not know of the existence of the Vistani, but has the criminal background.

In Ravenloft, you now meet a group of Vistani for the first time. Do these Vistani meet the description of messengers you know from the feature? If they do, can they get a message to your contact? If so, how likely do you think it is that the Vistani agree and that the message makes it to your contact?
I don't know. You tell me. It's unclear from your description how any of this is being established in the game's fiction. The point of your example seems to be if you force me to play in your railroad then I'm not allowed to make any meaningful decisions for my character, which isn't surprising at all.

Oofta

Legend

Going by things even you have said, these features rarely come up, if ever--which strongly suggests that "repeatedly" is a thing that never actually happens.

If it so infrequently matters, why does anyone care?

mamba

Legend
The highly improbable happens all the time, so what does probability have to do with logic, consistency, and interconnectivity with reference to setting details?
a lot, because it does not constantly happen to the same group of 5 people, it is spread around 8 billion

I also don't see how this tangent relates to the timing of when setting details are made up by RPG participants.
it has nothing to do with that, but that was either a strawman or nonsense anyway, so I ignored it. To be clear, the timing does not matter at all, I have no idea why you suddenly brought it up in the first place (only to never return to it)

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
more importantly, how often does it happen close to reliably.... it does not matter whether that is the only time the player wants to use the feature in the whole campaign, that does not suddenly make it more likely that they just so happen to stumble across someone they know just when they 'needed' it

mamba

Legend
I don't know. You tell me. It's unclear from your description how any of this is being established in the game's fiction.
this was not about how it is being established but about why your feature does not work in Ravenloft...

The point of your example seems to be if you force me to play in your railroad then I'm not allowed to make any meaningful decisions for my character, which isn't surprising at all.
as I wrote yesterday, so supposedly you will see this in a week or so, your feature not working when it does not make sense to / is highly unlikely to does not mean the game is a railroad

Last edited:

Remove ads