Do you roleplay in 1st or 3rd person - why?

The_Universe

First Post
A combination. Some stuff it's easy to just say it, and at other times, the delineation is necessary. I don't see it as something that desperately needs to be enforced, one way or the other. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
I always roleplay in the third person.

"Hong says his archer is going to shoot the giant!"

"Hong says the bloodmage casts fireball, for 30 points of damage!"

etcetera.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
A mix. I tend to slip into 3rd person when I want to speed the game up a bit.

Of course even in "first person" you have to describe things, so it's not truly first person the way the term is used in literature.

That sums it up nicely.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Except for one NPC who speaks in the third person while being played in the first person... 'Caldor is very hungry, Caldor wants to get something to eat!' For some reason I just picture barbarians that way...

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
My group is about 90% first person. We're all very possessive of our characters - I can't imagine saying "Tallask will say "Hello"" - I'll either simply say "Hello" or more often, "I'll approach the Litorian and say "Hello."" So it's basically 1st person.

Our DM is a bit more waffling - he'll sometimes switch on the fly, but is about half and half. "The priest approaches you, and raises his hand in greeting. 'Hello.'" Then once we get rp'ing, it turns to back and forth conversations.

Ranes

Adventurer
hong said:
I always roleplay in the third person.

"Hong says his archer is going to shoot the giant!"

"Hong says the bloodmage casts fireball, for 30 points of damage!"

etcetera.
Now this I have to try.

irdeggman

First Post
I've always found games with more 1st person playing to be more enjoyable and less about mechanics.

This doesn't mean I haven't played characters that refer to themselves in the 3rd person - always fun.

Remove ads