• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you roleplay in 1st or 3rd person - why?

Retreater

Legend
I normally switch between 2nd person and 3rd person when I DM. However, I sometimes during combat refer to the creature in the first person, e.g.: "I'm gonna move over here to flank you."

As a player, 1st person.

I

Immortal Sun

Normally I narrate. Though I've been trying to do more in first person. Sometimes it depends on the action.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It rose from the depths of a dozen years and more....

I switch back and forth, and it depends on context. In live-action play, it is mostly 1st person. At a tabletop, I try for mostly 1st person in in depicting the character's speech, and a mix when depicting action. Often enough there's a need to differentiate between the Character and the player, and then it is 3rd person - GM: "Are you angry?" Me: "Corven is angry, I think this is hilarious."

Henry

Autoexreginated
I switch back and forth, and it depends on context.

This pretty much fits me as well. In my case, it's about 75%/25% first person/third person, I prefer first person, but there are times where either I'm at a loss for specific words (I suck at seducing NPCs, I got no game ;)) or intent needs to be clearer.

AnnWa

First Post
I usually change into 3rd person when I want to speed the game up a bit. But I mainly use 1st person, perhaps, I'm just used to this style of narration xd

Remove ads