• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you trust the people you game with?

Do you trust the people you game with?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 78 24.1%
  • Yes, but I still check on rolls every now and again

Votes: 108 33.4%
  • Yes, but I want to see all the rolls anyway

Votes: 52 16.1%
  • some I trust, others I don't

Votes: 72 22.3%
  • No, but I'd like to be able to

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • No, and I enforce point buy because of it

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • No, and they prove I can't trust them all the time

Votes: 8 2.5%

Hammerhead

Explorer
I trust the people I game with. We're all friends, after all.

But I don't trust anyone absolutely. I've had some suspicions that one player occasionally cheats, due to his constant lucky rolls and very small, nearly unreadable baby dice.

Cedric

First Post
Missing Option:

Trust them for the most part, but never bother checking die rolls.

If I suspect a player is fudging die rolls, that's fine, I'll just adjust things accordingly. If they need to do that to have fun, as long as they aren't ruining other peoples fun, it's ok.

If they are ruining other people's fun, then I won't game with them.

As long as everyone is having a good time though, who really cares if that was a 3 or an 8?

*shrugs*

Cedric

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I have two DM that I'm pretty sure cheat with the dice. I don't mind TOO much when it's to keep us alive, but when it's to stop a clever plan or powerful spell from working (which it often is), it really gets to me. It's even worse if it's for initiative or monster hide checks. The sheer amount of critters that we meet who roll a 19 or 20 for their initiative is a bit ludicrous.

One of those two DM's continues cheating when he plays. Always very high rolls, often has rolled the action (and scored a 20 or so) before I asked him to, etc. I also have a player who seems to have only ever missed 2 hitpoints when levelling up - and he's never whooped and hollered about a hit die roll, which to me seems out of character. I'm sure if he really had got that many HPs, he would have made something of it.

Crothian

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I have two DM that I'm pretty sure cheat with the dice. I don't mind TOO much when it's to keep us alive, but when it's to stop a clever plan or powerful spell from working (which it often is), it really gets to me. It's even worse if it's for initiative or monster hide checks. The sheer amount of critters that we meet who roll a 19 or 20 for their initiative is a bit ludicrous.

One of those two DM's continues cheating when he plays. Always very high rolls, often has rolled the action (and scored a 20 or so) before I asked him to, etc. I also have a player who seems to have only ever missed 2 hitpoints when levelling up - and he's never whooped and hollered about a hit die roll, which to me seems out of character. I'm sure if he really had got that many HPs, he would have made something of it.

You obviously don't like it, so why put up with it?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I prefer seeing the actual rolls, but then I also prefer to have them see my rolls.

The compromise is that I get to see their rolls and I hide mine behind the screen - they trust me to be honest most of the time, and to lie when telling the truth would screw them up. They do not want me to be completely honest. They went so far as to ask me to please roll behind my screen.

This is after more then a year where my big baddies would miss while goblins would roll crit after threat three rolls running. They trust me to try to make the big baddies the threat when it helps, and to tone down the goblins when they are rolling hot.

Mostly I just tell the truth, but they don't need to know that. :p They have no problem with letting me see the rolls, knowing that I am willing at any time to roll in the open if they ask me to.

The Auld Grump

Steel_Wind

Legend
Thornir Alekeg said:
I trust every one of the people I game with...except one. He is a powergamer and I am pretty sure I have seen him cheat a few rolls when he has had a night where nothing is rolling right and as a result he cannot be the killing machine he enjoys playing.

Are you the other DM for my group too? :cool:

Mark???

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Cedric said:
Missing Option:

Trust them for the most part, but never bother checking die rolls.

If I suspect a player is fudging die rolls, that's fine, I'll just adjust things accordingly. If they need to do that to have fun, as long as they aren't ruining other peoples fun, it's ok.

If they are ruining other people's fun, then I won't game with them.

As long as everyone is having a good time though, who really cares if that was a 3 or an 8?

*shrugs*

Cedric

That's a nice sane point of view. Not the one that I use, but if it keeps everyone happy including you then keep it up! It is supposed to be fun after all. :)

The Auld Grump

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Crothian said:
You obviously don't like it, so why put up with it?

I'm intending to institute an open rolls rule at my games. Why do I keep playing under the DM's? No real alternatives... Either I live with it, or I dm another two times a week. And I really want to play.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

TRUST NO ONE
TALK TO NO ONE
YOU WERE NEVER HERE
YOU NEVER TALKED
THIS NEVER HAPPENED

The truth is out there, Mulder.

Edit: I game with a bunch of girls. Of COURSE I don't tust them Our friendship is built upon that. :D

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Sure, absolutely.

And even if I didn't, I really don't care if they're cheating on their die rolls as long as it doesn't impact on anyone elses fun. As a general rule, someone fudging a roll to do something spectacular on a night when the dice hasn't been their friend is okay by me - heck, I'd do the fudging for them if I noticed it happening.

Remove ads