• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you want psionics in your D&D?

Do you want psionics in your 5e D&D?

• Yes. Psionics are cool, and I like cool things.

Votes: 85 53.1%
  • No. A rose by any other name does not smell as sweet.

Votes: 48 30.0%
  • My opinions are legion, and I will explain them in the comments.

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • I am not an animal, I AM A HUMAN BEING that does not answer poll questions.

Votes: 7 4.4%

• Poll closed .

Tony Vargas

Legend
The current release of the Mystic, IIRC, treats psionics as magic, aka spells. Which allows it to fit into the system well (counterspell, dispel magic, multiclassing maybe ..... can a sorcerer twin a psionic ability ....) but then, IMO, it's not really psionics. OTOH, if it is different, then it's really hard to retcon all the published materials to take it into account.
Nod. The 3.5 approach of leaving it to the DM to decide whether psionics-is-magic or psionics-is-different was better. It was also out of character for RAW-uber-alles 3.5 and, by the same token, coming down officially on 'psionics is magic' (let alone 'psionics comes from the Far Realm') is out of character for 5e.

But, even so, what's the big obstacle to declaring it different? Psionics works in anti-magic fields and wizards can't dispel mystics, and vice-versa (yeah, there better be anti-psionics fields).

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My $.02:

I don't really understand the need for D&D to have multiple types of magic. That applies to Divine and Primal as well as Psionics. I mean, to some extent magic doesn't exist in D&D...D&D worlds just have really weird physical laws compared to ours. AFAICT, all these different "magics" can only be people learning to manipulate those odd laws in different ways. So, have a psionic subclass for all the various psychic types, knock yourself out.

Flavor-wise, I'm perfectly fine with psychic-style flavor stuff in fantasy. Reading minds, psychic blasts... whatever, pour it on. (In many ways, its more "traditional" than Fireball, honestly.) I balk at the more techno-sounding names, and the occasional power seems a bit cheesy to me. I thought 3e overdid the crystal thing. ::shrug::

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The big obstacle is time. It's sort of like saying, "What's the big obstacle with changing all of the classes that depend on spells, like the Paladin and the Ranger, to spell-less classes? You can homebrew anything!"
But, really, magic or not needn't require such sweeping mechanical changes. 5e does make a lot of stuff magic (including Monk's Ki powers, for instance), and in a few situations, it really matters, the big/obvious ones being Beholders' central-eye-beams, anti-magic shells, arbitrary anti-magic zones, and, of course, dispel magic. 'Magic' Resistance in 5e, which just affects saves, maybe not so much.

So, if you want to declare that Ki isn't magic, it works in those situations, while magic doesn't. FWIW.

Same goes for psionics, just declare it 'not magic,' and it's not. Yeah, you have the teeny issue that, when you swing the giant rubber mallet that is anti-magic at your out of control high-level campaign, it misses the psionic. But, really, at that point, you're past the expiration date, anyway.

In a very simple way, this rule change would make a Mystic devastatingly effective in a world where everyone else is using magic.
How often does Dispel Magic, et al, come up, anyway? Is it really so much worse than casters in the first place, since most of the world doesn't get to use magic, either?

And it would also mean that many of the published materials (including adventure paths) would be unusable without a lot of work; more importantly, it would be hard to know what even needs to change. All of this because the system wasn't designed from the beginning with the difference.
I'm really not see'n the work needed. Sprinkling some psionic NPCs and monsters onto the setting shouldn't be a big deal, I'm sure we'll be getting some along with the mystic. Just flip the same switch for them, they'll be able to dispel the psionic's stuff, but not the wizards. As 'balanced' as anything else in 5e.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I love psionics. I wish the magic systems were more distinct, and restrictive. As they are now, they are bland to me. Same with racial stats. Flavorless.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like the addition of psionics to the game. I enjoyed the 2e version, wasn't happy with the 3e version due to how similar to magic it felt with powers having levels similar to spells, and am now looking forward to the inclusion of the mystic and 5e psionics. Of course, I'm also tempted to use the mystic as a base for a dragonlance style sorcerer and mystic since sorcery in that setting was quite different to the sorcerer of 3e or later and the choice of a discipline that grants multiple ways to channel that power really fits the original concept of the dragonlance sorcerer during the age of mortals.

Remove ads