Doctor Who 28.13 Doomsday (SPOILERS)

Pseudonym said:
I thought it was great, but a few holes I need sorting out.

The Cybermen (steeped in background radiation that made them vulnerable) created a few other Cybermen on Earth that assumedly were not effected by the dimensional vortex as they had not crossed the barrier betweek universes. What happens to them?
A good question. We have only one visually confirmed conversion (that of the Torchwood Leader), but there were probably more. They might also have been sucked into the void, too, since the Cybermen-Transformation technology and especially the parts (probably) came from the other universe - That might have been enough.
But it is also not unlikely that is a deliberate loose end, just like the time-shifting Black Dalek.

When the Daleks do their thing and fight the Cybermen it looks like the Torchwood people were teaming up with the Cybermen. When did they come to an accord, or did everyone just focus on the greater threat?

A great episode overall. I can't wait until Christmas.
The doctor was "surrendering" a plan to the Cybermen - probably it involved allying with their former enemies to overpower the Dalek, though they certainly didn't know anything about the background-radiation-sucking-into-the-void-thingie. :)
It's quite possible that the Doctor didn't really believe pure firepower would be sufficient (in Doctor Who, it rarely is).

Felon

First Post
Brakkart said:
Did the Cybermen even manage to kill a single Dalek? I know I didn't see them take out any of the Daleks, as the pepperpots of doom's forcefields repelled just about everything the Cybermen, Preachers and Torchwood could fire at them!

I could've sworn I saw a torchwood soldier blow one up with a rocket launcher, but upon reviewing the episode I don't see it. As far as I can tell, there was no attrition among the four head daleks.

That obnoxious bride woman made for an unpleasant ending. From what Wikipedia has to say about her, Catherine Tate is apparently a latterday Tracey-Ullmanesque character actress. I hope we're not moving back into an era of companions that exist to complain and antagonize the Doctor. We don't need another Tegan.

Brakkart

First Post
Felon said:
I could've sworn I saw a torchwood soldier blow one up with a rocket launcher, but upon reviewing the episode I don't see it. As far as I can tell, there was no attrition among the four head daleks.

I know I saw a rocket launcher used to destroy a Cyberman on that bridge where we saw the military fighting them, but I've watched the episode twice now and I sure didn't see a Dalek get taken out by one. The Cyberman and Preachers etc almost took out a couple of the Daleks when they stormed into the room where the four of them had the Genesis Ark, but then the Daleks switched primary power to their shields and guns and wiped the floor with their foes!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Felon said:

That obnoxious bride woman made for an unpleasant ending. From what Wikipedia has to say about her, Catherine Tate is apparently a latterday Tracey-Ullmanesque character actress. I hope we're not moving back into an era of companions that exist to complain and antagonize the Doctor. We don't need another Tegan.

She's not the new companion - she'll be in the Christmas episode, "The Runaway Bride". Don't worry.

And yes. Catherine Tate is annoying. She has a sketch show which isn't funny in the slightest.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Brakkart said:
Did the Cybermen even manage to kill a single Dalek?

Nope. It almost looked like one of the Daleks got killed in the confrontation when Jake shot it, but I think there were still four when they headed out with the Ark.

I loved the Black Dalek's line about "Pest control." Heh.

I also liked that the Daleks recognized the Cybermen, despite that they are "new" Cybermen and unrelated to the alien Cybermen. I'm still hoping the original Cybes make an appearance at some point (especially now that the parallel universe is completely shut off).

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Brakkart said:
I liked how the Black Dalek managed to get away! Who knew they could time travel? I sure didn't.

They can't- it looks like the Ark isn't the only Gallifreyan device that got stolen during the Time Wars.

They still didn't explain how the Daleks managed to create that Voidship, though. In the last episode, the Doctor seemed to indicate that even the Time Lords couldn't create such a thing.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I liked it a lot, and I agree with MonsterMash that it was a good ending to a somewhat dicey season. The resolution was... bittersweet. I'm glad they didn't kill off Rose (I didn't think they would), but they pretty well ended her story and any chance of future returns, which was too bad. I was also a bit disappointed that they couldn't just let the Doctor say he loved her, but I suppose the outcry would have been too much for them to let it go.

Frankly, some points about the Doctor's solution seemed a bit off- why couldn't more than one person have hung onto those weights- he could have kept Mickey, Jackie, Rose, and Pete with him- Jackie wouldn't have been affected by the void suck thing, and could have kept the levers operating, and the other four could have hung on for dear life. Not as dramatic, I know, but it would have worked.

I liked the scene with Pete and Jackie- mostly because of Pete. He really does a wonderful job with that role. Good to see Mickey again, though he really didn't do much of anything... as usual. :)

Did it seem odd to anyone else that parallel-universe Resistance decided to lock the Cybermen up in the Torchwood Institute? Hm.

The Lost Bride bit at the end? Dumb. I'd much rather have had it end before that, and just do the Lost Bride intro at the beginning of the X-Mas episode, rather than here.

It would have been funny if Jack Harkness was in the dress. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Morrus said:
And yes. Catherine Tate is annoying. She has a sketch show which isn't funny in the slightest.

Quoted for truth. For some reason she has been 'flavour of the month' and lauded as a great comedy actress, but I just don't see it. Very unfunny, not even particularly clever.

glass

(he, him)
Cthulhudrew said:
They can't- it looks like the Ark isn't the only Gallifreyan device that got stolen during the Time Wars.
Sure they can. It was mentioned in 'Remembrance of the Daleks' that they had time travel technology but it was crude, which was why they wanted the Hand of Omega.

glass.

Remove ads