Doctor Who 28.13 Doomsday (SPOILERS)

glass

(he, him)
Plane Sailing said:
Quoted for truth. For some reason she has been 'flavour of the month' and lauded as a great comedy actress, but I just don't see it. Very unfunny, not even particularly clever.
Yeah, I'm just praying she doesn't spend the whole of the Christmas episode saying 'Am I bovvered?' *shudders*

glass.

Cthulhudrew said:
Did it seem odd to anyone else that parallel-universe Resistance decided to lock the Cybermen up in the Torchwood Institute? Hm.
It appeared to me as if the Cybermen infiltrated the (parallel-universe) Torchwood Institute (how ever they might have done that)

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Morrus said:
She's not the new companion - she'll be in the Christmas episode, "The Runaway Bride". Don't worry.

And yes. Catherine Tate is annoying. She has a sketch show which isn't funny in the slightest.
Awful, awful, awful show.

Catherine Tate isn't that bad, though, in other people's shows.

Hopefully, this trend continues next christmas.

Felon

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Frankly, some points about the Doctor's solution seemed a bit off- why couldn't more than one person have hung onto those weights- he could have kept Mickey, Jackie, Rose, and Pete with him- Jackie wouldn't have been affected by the void suck thing, and could have kept the levers operating, and the other four could have hung on for dear life. Not as dramatic, I know, but it would have worked.

Heh, clearly the Doctor didn't consider opening a hole into oblivion and then grabbing onto something and holding on for dear life to be a foolproof plan, and was only willing to risk his own life. And not just because of the hole, but also due to the danger of the daleks flying in and killing anyone there when they sensed the void engine starting (which they very nearly did). Rose came back, and then Pete took everyone else's transporters away.

EDIT--Oh, and having Jackie work the levers while Rose and Pete are having their socks pulled off? I can guess what Jackie would wind up doing, and so could the Doctor I suspect.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Morrus said:
She's not the new companion - she'll be in the Christmas episode, "The Runaway Bride". Don't worry.

And yes. Catherine Tate is annoying. She has a sketch show which isn't funny in the slightest.

Good to hear we didn't have a shrill new companion.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I thought it was a lot better than part one overall. With luck we will never see Rose, her family, or her ex-boyfriends again, but I bet we do. Anyway the main thing that I enjoyed was the Daleks, they really made the episode. Good to see the Black Dalek escaped so they can return in the future. Also I'm glad the Doc didn't say he loved Rose as well, that would have been a bit much. Overall a good end to a very inconsistant season. Hopefully next year they have a bit more consistant writing and branch out the stories with a few more epidodes set on other worlds instead of traveling through the history of Cardiff.

sniffles

First Post
glass said:
Sure they can. It was mentioned in 'Remembrance of the Daleks' that they had time travel technology but it was crude, which was why they wanted the Hand of Omega.

glass.
The Daleks had time travel all the way back to 'The Chase', in the First Doctor's era - that's how Barbara and Ian got back to London.

I loved this episode. What a great story!! And who can beat Cybermen vs. Daleks? The big battle scene in the hangar area with Daleks shouting "Exterminate!" and Cybermen grating out "Delete" was awesome. :)

I really enjoyed the farewell between the Doctor and Rose. It was appropriately emotional, but didn't include a kiss, which was what I feared. I just don't want the Doctor to go around smooching is companions on the lips on a regular basis. An occasional peck on the cheek is okay, but I want him to always have just that little bit of emotional distance.

If there was anything I would have changed, I wished that the revelation about the Genesis Ark had occurred earlier so we could have more battle scenes between the Daleks and Cybermen. The conclusion seemed just a tiny bit rushed. But really to do what I want they'd have had to make it three episodes, and that would have been too much. I've been watching a lot of older episodes recently and it really highlights how tight the pacing is in the new series. I like that. :)

glass

(he, him)
sniffles said:
The Daleks had time travel all the way back to 'The Chase', in the First Doctor's era - that's how Barbara and Ian got back to London.
I guessed it had probably come up before, but I knew it was mentioned in RotD which is why I cited that one.

glass.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
glass said:
Sure they can. It was mentioned in 'Remembrance of the Daleks' that they had time travel technology but it was crude, which was why they wanted the Hand of Omega.

Whoops! I stand corrected. (Gotta go back and watch Remembrance one of these days...)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Felon said:
Heh, clearly the Doctor didn't consider opening a hole into oblivion and then grabbing onto something and holding on for dear life to be a foolproof plan, and was only willing to risk his own life.

Ah- but he did grab two of those magnetic thingies.

EDIT--Oh, and having Jackie work the levers while Rose and Pete are having their socks pulled off? I can guess what Jackie would wind up doing, and so could the Doctor I suspect.

Good point. Needs to get a spine that one- what's more important, saving the universe or worrying about your daughter and parallel universe husband? :)

Remove ads