Doctor Who - no season 5 for 2009... but 2010

horacethegrey

First Post
This news was poster here . Transcript below:

BBC reveals Doctor Who 'gap year'
David Tennant's appearance in the fifth series of Doctor Who looks uncertain after it was revealed there will be no new series in 2009.

The fourth series, starring Tennant, is due to hit TV screens next year, but the fifth will not be seen until 2010.

Instead, Tennant, will star in three Doctor Who specials, written by Russell T Davies, on BBC One in 2009.

A spokeswoman for Doctor Who said she was unable to comment whether Tennant would return for the 2010 series.

Tennant, 36, will reportedly play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year, but this has not been confirmed by the RSC.

'Best loved'

Series four, which went into production in July, will hit UK screens in spring 2008 with a special episode scheduled for Christmas 2008.

Comedian Catherine Tate is set to return to the Tardis for the complete 13-week run, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Actress Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of assistant Martha Jones, is also set to return during series four.

BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter said: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas.

"Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, controller of BBC Wales, said: "This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience."
While I found this surprising news, I can't say I'm against it. I'm willing to wait for series 5, provided that these three specials are up to snuff. My one concern is that Davies is writing them. While I do admire what the man has done for the show, anyone with a discerning eye could tell that many of his episodes in season 3 were weak. I just hope he only writes one and hands the other specials to other writers, like Stephen Moffat. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Basically, my take on it is this - Doctor Who was preventing Tennant doing other stuff he wanted to do. The BBC didn't want to replace him, so the compromise is this gap year (still three episodes, at least) in 2009 whereby he has the time to do Hamlet or whatnot. With luck, he's then back for the next saeason of Doctor Who.

horacethegrey

First Post
Capellan said:
Fixed it for you
LOOK... I love Moffat as much as the next guy. The man has written the best episodes of the new series (next in line would be Paul Cornell), but let's not pile on the hate for Davies. RTD wrote some pretty good eps in the first season that helped usher in this new era of Who. Give the guy a chance, perhaps his writing in these specials will be inspired rather than tired like it was in Season 3.

I am concerned, but I'm holding out hope as well. :)

Morrus said:
Basically, my take on it is this - Doctor Who was preventing Tennant doing other stuff he wanted to do. The BBC didn't want to replace him, so the compromise is this gap year (still three episodes, at least) in 2009 whereby he has the time to do Hamlet or whatnot. With luck, he's then back for the next saeason of Doctor Who.
Yeah, that's my take on it too. Still, it's awfully nice of the BBC to accommodate him like that. Least this means he hasn't worn out his welcome with them like some other actors who've played the Doctor. (*cough*Tom Baker*cough*)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
RTD's writing is weak at best, and awful for the most part.

This break kind of blows but what can I do? I've still got a ton of audios so there is always more Who to enjoy.

Capellan

Explorer
horacethegrey said:
RTD wrote some pretty good eps in the first season

I'd rate RTD's season one episodes as ranging from poor (End of the World, Boom Town) to fair (most of the rest) with occasional good moments. I'd put his first two episodes in season two (New Earth, Tooth & Claw) as his most effective Who scripts. Again, the rest of his work in that season was fair, but not good. As for his third season work ... only Helen Raynor was worse.

horacethegrey

First Post
Capellan said:
I'd rate RTD's season one episodes as ranging from poor (End of the World, Boom Town) to fair (most of the rest) with occasional good moments.
End of the World was one of my favorite episodes actually from Season 1, so I'd have to disagree with you that it was poor, as I disagree with your assessment that the whole of his work in season 1 was merely "fair". IMO, without Davies the new series wouldn't have gone past episode one, nor gain the new found success it has today.

Capellan said:
I'd put his first two episodes in season two (New Earth, Tooth & Claw) as his most effective Who scripts. Again, the rest of his work in that season was fair, but not good.
I hated New Earth personally. And Tooth and Claw wasn't anything special I thought.

Capellan

Explorer
I can stomach 'End' only because it leads to 'New Earth'. Tastes vary. There are even people who liked 'Evolution of the Daleks'. :)

I should also mention that I think RTD has done a good job as script co-ordinator, and that has really helped the show. I just don't think much of his personal writing. In particular, I think his conclusions have generally been weak.

I'll be interested to see if the lesser commitment of the three specials leads to stronger scripts as he has more time to focus on his writing.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm grateful for Dr. Who tuning me into David Tennant. I've fallen in love with his acting. He makes a great villain and hero.

Regardless of what the future of Dr. Who brings, I'll be watching Tennant's works until I die.

Remove ads