does anyone else think half-orcs get gypped?

All good points but I don't think the half orc got shirt changed at all. Not in 3.5 anyway. Look at all the good things they get. It also depends on the setting and campaign. The ability to go undercover amongst orcs can be good . The ugresh proficiency. The strength bonus plus if a Barbarian, rage str. And con. Goes up. Add power attack and orcs can do some greatsword damage! Half Orcs are tricky: who's expecting a half orc wizard, cleric , Monk, or bard. Half orc rogue/cleric/warlock/sacred outlaw/eldritch disciple is good(Eldritch glaive sneak attack does around 17d6 damage+ 1.5 strength bonus,plus interactives, every round), or Randedl Eldritch blast versus touch A.C., plus add cleric spells as effects to blast, and hell blast at range).

Half Orcs see in dark, speak orc language, can go unnoticed where Paladins would get jacked up, like into an orc camp. Half Orcs can be anti-inflammatory types, like the highly intelligent Hank McCoy/Beast of the X-Men. The thinking man monster. If you are like me you can think of cool ways to play a half orc. They make cool interactions with dwarves and elves in a party too! Good drama. Add a cool origin story about how he was conceived. Why he's a paladin of freedom on a quest to kill or incarcerate all evil orcs maybe

In version 5, you get
A half orc with: +2 Str.+1con, darkvision , move 30, Menacing, gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill, and Relentless Endurance, (if reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. Hslf orc cannot use relentless endurance again until after taking a Long Rest), and Savage Attacks,( if score a critical hit with a melee weapon Attack, roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit).

In 2e,Exceptional Strength,
*Half-orcs receive 1 more HP each time they roll hit die, to a maximum of the hit die size (so a half-orc fighter with a 14 Constitution will receive 2-10 HP per level, instead of 1-10)
*Half-orcs receive a +2 to saving throws against disease and to resist the effect of bad smells (such as a troglodyte or an otyugh). While they have a highly developed sense of smell, they are also robust and have a strong resistance to smells that would disgust a human
. If the DM is liberal, in a home brew game you could have half orc/,half monster hybrids...Medusa orc mix anyone? Just put a level adjustment on it.

The half-orc first availsble in the 1e Player's Handbook (1978) as a p.c. race.
A number of half-orc varieties were given in Dragon magazine #44 (Dec. 1980), including the orc-bugbear, the orc-gnoll, the orc-goblin, the orc-hobgoblin, the orc-kobold, and the orc-ogre. The mythology & attitudes of 1/2-orcs are described in detail in Dragon #62 (June 1982), by Roger E. Moore's , "The Half-Orc Point of View."
You could go through the monster manuals , etc. And make ore variations for fun.

In a 3.5 e. / Homebrew rules game, if I'm d.m. I am VERY liberal with all races. Any traits or perks from any version can usually be allowed by me . Not that big a deal.i would accept a half orc p.c. with all the benefits if a player wants to play it.+2 listen , spot, survival, add free scent( maybe at 30 foot range) , bonus to track with scent, infravision, dark vision, + ,str, + con, +1 hp/ level, free endurance feat, and more. But Elves get more in my games too.as do halflings and dwarves, etc.

Homebrew half orc

Here's one variant , thats homebrew.
Call it "Elite half-orc", and they get everything in the 3.5 phbplus, the following: 1)trollblood (like the trollblood regional feat, but I use it as a free racial feat), fast healing 1,3) scent ( equal to a dog), 3) proficiency in all martial weapons, 4)+4 listen for pointed ears, 5)+4 to riding and to handle animals (wolves, wargs, horses), 6) +2 hide in wilderness or caves,and 7) no experience penalty for multi- classing fighter,barbarian, ranger, druid, cleric,rogue,scout, or assassin

Remove ads