does anyone else think half-orcs get gypped?

Seeten

First Post
Not in my opinion. Scent would be fine.

Further, Strength is a poor ability. Yeah, +1 more dmg and +1 more hit is moderately nice, but as we all know, Int and Wis and Cha are the power stats for the real classes, you know, the ones that are actually powerful, like Druids, Clerics, and Wizards. Even Sorcerors and Psions.

Is someone arguing Strength is powerful because it lets the Fighter do +1 hit and dmg?

And that a race is ok, because it has +2 to this spectacularly potent ability?

Dwarves, as noted, have a vaunted physical ability without -2 to 2 mental stats. Just silly.

Half-Orc is a terrible race.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Seeten said:
Further, Strength is a poor ability. Yeah, +1 more dmg and +1 more hit is moderately nice, but as we all know, Int and Wis and Cha are the power stats for the real classes, you know, the ones that are actually powerful, like Druids, Clerics, and Wizards. Even Sorcerors and Psions.

It depends on level.

Low level Druids, Clerics, and Wizards are relatively weak. Low level Barbarians and Fighters are strong. That gradually changes as levels advance, but in order for a high level Cleric or Wizard to be mega-powerful, he has to survive low levels (assuming a campaign where PCs start at low level).

Klaus

First Post
Of course, the 3.0 DMG already suggested allowing gnomes and half-orcs to take Scent as a feat, with, IIRC, a prerequisite of Wis 13+.

Woot! It's a Rules Forum question again!

Seeten

First Post
KarinsDad said:
It depends on level.

Low level Druids, Clerics, and Wizards are relatively weak. Low level Barbarians and Fighters are strong. That gradually changes as levels advance, but in order for a high level Cleric or Wizard to be mega-powerful, he has to survive low levels (assuming a campaign where PCs start at low level).

Thats true. Since we arent balancing the other races based on level 1, why are we balancing the Half-Orc based on level 1?

Since Wizards are great at level 9, should races with +2 int get a -2 on 2 physical stats?

Its silly. Strength is in no way more powerful, 1-20, then any other ability. Lots of classes use Cha as a dump stat, I grant you.

Wait for it.

Lots of classes use Str as a dumpt stat.

Races can be multiple classes.

Half-Orc is not balanced, and Str is not better than any other stat, including Cha. Despite arbitrary claims about +1 melee damage to the contrary. Further, I think posters making this claim know that it isnt balanced when they say it.

Enforcer

Explorer
Seeten said:
You mean "Strength is a poor ability for a caster?" 'Cause I agree with that. For a melee person, as I mentioned above, Strength is the bee's knees.

Is someone arguing Strength is powerful because it lets the Fighter do +1 hit and dmg?
No, because a half-orc's Strength lets the Fighter do +1 to hit and damage compared to non half-orc Fighters. And more with two-handers, and even more with Power Attack while having the same chance to hit.

And that a race is ok, because it has +2 to this spectacularly potent ability?
I think half-orc melee characters are perfectly fine, yes, because Strength is the most important ability for melee outside of builds specially crafted (i.e. that make trade-offs) to mitigate a mediocre Strength (e.g. Swashbuckler from Complete Warrior or TWF builds that try to do more damage through more attacks).

Dwarves, as noted, have a vaunted physical ability without -2 to 2 mental stats. Just silly.
Because Con isn't as good as Strength in melee. Which is better in melee, a few more hp (hardly any increase at low levels) or the ability to kill a guy faster so he gets to make fewer attacks--any one of which can totally destroy the Con hp bonus and then some?

Half-Orc is a terrible race.
For non-melee characters, most certainly. For melee characters, I disagree. For those that want to pick up a sharp piece of steel and do the most damage possible with it from day one, half-orcs can't be beat by any race in the PHB.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Seeten said:
Half-Orc is not balanced, and Str is not better than any other stat, including Cha. Despite arbitrary claims about +1 melee damage to the contrary. Further, I think posters making this claim know that it isnt balanced when they say it.

What core race has +2 to Int, Cha, or Wis?

So, why is a mental stat boost overpowered and a Str stat boost weak? Answer, it's not. The reason Half-Orcs get -2 to two mental stats and not a lot of other abilities is because for classes where +2 Str is good, it is great. Just like races for which +2 Int is good, it is great.

Remove ads