• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Death Ward protect against assassins?

Dundragon

First Post
The spell description states "The subject is immune to all death spells and magical death effects. The spell does not protect against other sorts of attacks, such as hit point loss, poison, petrifaction, or other effects, even if they might be lethal." (PHB 191)

My question, is the assassins Death Attack a supernatural ability that is not subject to this spell because it is non-magic, or is it some sort of magical enhancement that would be foiled by Death Ward? The DMG doesn't say what kind of ability it is, although I guess that means its supernatural.

That seems kind of deadly, because anyone death attacked by a mid-high level assassin with high INT needs to make a pretty nasty Fort save to avoid instant death.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
My question, is the assassins Death Attack a supernatural ability that is not subject to this spell because it is non-magic, or is it some sort of magical enhancement that would be foiled by Death Ward? The DMG doesn't say what kind of ability it is, although I guess that means its supernatural.

I understand it's not supernatural or magical - supernatural effects (like a monk's Stunning Attack) are usually defined as such. It's just a modified sneak attack, basically.

Death Ward is designed to combat save-or-die magic.

That seems kind of deadly, because anyone death attacked by a mid-high level assassin with high INT needs to make a pretty nasty Fort save to avoid instant death.

Have you come across the Coup-de-Grace Weapon Enhancement from the Psionics Handbook?

Potentially far worse... and no Death Ward either.

-Hyp.

Dundragon

First Post
Yikes... I sense uber-evil. :eek:

Have you come across the Coup-de-Grace Weapon Enhancement from the Psionics Handbook?
Actually no, I run FR and I'm not too keen on letting psionics play a major role in the realms. However it seems that the assassin class is far more useful than I have given it credit for...

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yikes... I sense uber-evil. :eek:

From the SRD:

Coup de Grace
Coup de grace weapons are exceptionally dangerous. Once per day, the wielder can use a full attack action to make one attack that, if it hits, strikes the foe as if the wielder had delivered a coup de grace. On a miss, the use is wasted for the day. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on their ammunition.

Manifester Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, Deep Impact, greater domination; Market Price: +5 bonus.

Automatic critical on a hit, sneak attack damage, Fort save vs damage total or die.

-Hyp.

StealthyMark

First Post
Re: Coup de grace weapons

Actually, IMO this gives the correct text, how a vorpal weapon should be handled. This makes them playable, at least.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Coup de grace weapons

Actually, IMO this gives the correct text, how a vorpal weapon should be handled. This makes them playable, at least.

Verbatim, including the once-per-day restriction?

Easy fix, then :) Just ban Vorpals and make CDG a non-psionic weapon enhancement.

-Hyp.

novyet

First Post
Dundragon said:
The DMG doesn't say what kind of ability it is, although I guess that means its supernatural.

I believe that the death attack is an extraordinary ability.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: Does Death Ward protect against assassins?

novyet said:

I believe that the death attack is an extraordinary ability.
I agree; otherwise, it would probably be labeled as "Supernatural."

Remove ads