• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Ray of Frost + Piercing Cold + Sneak Attack = A decent option?

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
EVERYBODY. CAN. DO. IT. ALREADY.

So, if that's the only benefit of the PrC, it *is* worthless.
Wouldn´t be the first time this happened - I remember the Eagle Claw Attack feat, that allowed a Monk to sunder with his fists. But that was already possible according to the rules (just an older draft of the 3.0 rules allowed it only for slashing damage. But the later 3.0 books all said slashing and bludgeoning...)

I can imagine that the afromentioned PrC can do it with other spells (Magic Missile?), though I have no idea if that´s even remotely true (and it would seem overpowered - Magic Missile?)

MoonZar

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Wouldn´t be the first time this happened - I remember the Eagle Claw Attack feat, that allowed a Monk to sunder with his fists. But that was already possible according to the rules (just an older draft of the 3.0 rules allowed it only for slashing damage. But the later 3.0 books all said slashing and bludgeoning...)

I can imagine that the afromentioned PrC can do it with other spells (Magic Missile?), though I have no idea if that´s even remotely true (and it would seem overpowered - Magic Missile?)

I think the class i was refering transform spell in enery bolt anyway, i'll check this out at home, and i'm impatient to find where this writted that you can use spell to do sneak attack, i never see that since the 3.0 is release and this an important features for my players.

MoonZar said:
I didn't know that this was a official rules, can you point me out exactly where in the book this writed ? I'm very curious about it and i'll apply it to my campaign world also...

Sure! :)

SRD said:
Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Those are the rules for determining when you may make a Sneak Attack.

Note that it only applies to attacks. Therefore, the question is, which spells are actually attacks?

This has been clarified first in Tome and Blood (3.0) and then in Complete Arcane (3.5). A spell counts as an attack when:

1. It requires a to-hit roll
2. It does damage (ability damage, hit point damage (lethal or nonlethal), or energy drain)

Thus, Inflict Light Wounds is an attack (it requires a touch attack and does lethal hit point damage). Ray of Enfeeblement is not (it requires a ranged touch attack, but it imposes an ability penalty, not ability damage).

MoonZar

Explorer

Note that it only applies to attacks. Therefore, the question is, which spells are actually attacks?

This has been clarified first in Tome and Blood (3.0) and then in Complete Arcane (3.5). A spell counts as an attack when:

2. It does damage (ability damage, hit point damage (lethal or nonlethal), or energy drain)

Thus, Inflict Light Wounds is an attack (it requires a touch attack and does lethal hit point damage). Ray of Enfeeblement is not (it requires a ranged touch attack, but it imposes an ability penalty, not ability damage).

Thanks you, you had been very helpful !

VorpalStare

First Post
VorpalStare said:
First, fire creatures take + 50% damage from cold attacks rather than double.

Three_Haligonians said:
Spells affected by the Piercing Cold Feat increase this to double damage.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm not familiar with the feat and I think I partially misunderstood your question.

VorpalStare

First Post

And, from Complete Arcane p. 86:
Any weaponlike spell can be used to make a sneak attack, including ranged spells used against targets within 30 feet (just as with any other ranged sneak attack).

Remove ads