Does setting really matter in your games? (and how to make it matter more)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Sadly, I find too many of my players fall into the 'everything is Greyhawk' stereotype. Even the non-dungeon crawlers simply expect the panoply of anachronisms and cliches associated with core D&D. :\

Partly, I agree with Turanil - using a very different setting helps immensely. However, without the right players, even that won't be sufficient. Some players - and in my experience it's not just dungeon-crawlers - simply can't wrap their minds around the idea that an RPG can look different from core D&D. :(

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
In order to create the "feel" of a setting the rules need to hinge on the flavor text. All too often, its the other way around. Feats, skills, prestige classes, and races should all evoke the feel of the setting. Ideally, you should be able to have two neutral good human fighters who -- according to the game mechanics -- dislike each other intensely.

GlassJaw

Hero
Some players - and in my experience it's not just dungeon-crawlers - simply can't wrap their minds around the idea that an RPG can look different from core D&D.

That's why you need to use a different ruleset. Throw Grim Tales at them. While d20, the rules will create such a different feel than "traditional" D&D that your setting will instantly take on more importance.

Mystery Man

First Post
Well, I love the Forgotten Realms and I love running games there, but I get the feeling my players don't care what setting it is as long as they get to kill something. :heh:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
GlassJaw said:
That's why you need to use a different ruleset. Throw Grim Tales at them. While d20, the rules will create such a different feel than "traditional" D&D that your setting will instantly take on more importance.

Grim Tales, hell!

I'm talking about running people through SilCore, BESM d20 or Champions and they still have the D&D mindset. :(

Kanegrundar

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
Some players are simply focused more on the base system than anything else. It doesn't matter if they are playing GT, D&D, or GURPS. For some, the setting is merely something to endure until they get into the adventure.

Kane

Voadam

Legend
Active politics

Big setting organizations. Not just gods for the setting but church organizations that the PCs actually interact with.

In the campaign I'm running based off Ptolus from Banewarrens in a postapocalyptic Greyhawk world the Ptolus theocratic empire of Lothian dominates with old god churches around but much less prevalent and politically powerful. Being involved in politics, church politics, and war and having adventures deal with significant history stuff has really drawn the PCs into the setting and given it a distinctive flavor.

Psion

Adventurer
Setting is important to my game because a good setting sets the stage for the adventure. For me, if a setting does not almost write the adventures for me, it's not a good setting. A good setting has conflicts on which to base the adventure and situations and adversaries to make them interesting and involve the characters.

Afrodyte

Explorer
I agree with the previous posters who said that players who want standard D&D will try to play that no matter what setting you use. However, if the players do want something different, a great way to help them invest in the setting is to give them a little leeway in making up some of it. Give them a few pointers then see what they come up with. Have them design their character's home town, or at least the place where they live or like to visit. Encourage them to come up with NPCs from their background that the party could interact with sometime during the adventure. Emphasize that making connections in the world (even in the form of enemies and rivals) is a good thing since it makes everything more personal, which helps get players more involved without needing a generic threat or reward to lure them in.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Psion said:
Setting is important to my game because a good setting sets the stage for the adventure. For me, if a setting does not almost write the adventures for me, it's not a good setting. A good setting has conflicts on which to base the adventure and situations and adversaries to make them interesting and involve the characters.

Which is to say, bingo.

Remove ads