• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this setting exist?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting akin to Kingdoms of Kalamar? Specifically, is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting that is 98% description and 02% rules content?

I'm not so interested in classes, feats, skills, etc -- I want rich, vivid, descriptions of the setting itself, not three chapters of rules and sixty pages of scattered mechanical references (obviously, this immediately makes things like Eberron a non-option).

Finally, and this is important -- I must be able to pick up/order this product from the FLGS. This means no PDFs or POD stuff (much as I'd like to snag a copy of Murchad's Legacy, financial difficulties prevent me from oredring things online).

So, what settting am I looking for?

Psion

Adventurer
Does it have to be explicitly d20 at all? Arduin sort of fits. Though "like Kalamar" isn't the first phrase I'd use to describe it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Psion said:
Does it have to be explicitly d20 at all? Arduin sort of fits. Though "like Kalamar" isn't the first phrase I'd use to describe it.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I already own the Worldbook of Khaas (in fact, prior to the server crash earlier this year, I had several reviews of products from the Arduin line in the ENWorld database). Yeah, I'm more interested in something else at this point in time. Preferably something marketed as a d20 or OGL product, though a completely "systemless" product may work, as well.

Drawmack

First Post
You cannot have what you want. By the licenses any d20 or OGL product must include 20% OGC, which in turn means 20% rules.

However, Bluffside did something really neat. They pilled all the OGC into an appendix thereby keeping the description and the OGC/rules completely seperate.

rebarton2

First Post
It's been a while since I looked at it, but Arcanis wowed me with the world - not the mechanics. There are some mechanics in it, of course, but the bulk is detailed history and regional descriptions. Really impressive.

I also would consider NG's Wilderlands. This is nothing but setting, IMO. You could buy the separate player's guide, which boasts races, classes, etc., but the boxed set itself is one huge pile of adventure seeds and descriptions.

my two cents,

Geleg

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Drawmack said:
You cannot have what you want. By the licenses any d20 or OGL product must include 20% OGC, which in turn means 20% rules.

Well, this isn't entirely true -- anything can be designated as OGC. Not just rules. In fact, I think Murchad's Legacy is 100% OGC, IIRC. Regardless OGC doean't mean "must contain many rules".

However, Bluffside did something really neat. They pilled all the OGC into an appendix thereby keeping the description and the OGC/rules completely seperate.

Bluffside has been out of print for a while, though, hasn't it? This might make picking it up at the FLGS problematic ;)

Huw

First Post
Drawmack said:

Or alternatively you just do 100% fluff in one book (which you don't need to put a d20 or in fact anything on) and save the crunch for another. AKA Iron Kingdoms (which I recommend).

Technomancer

First Post
The Codex of Erde from Troll Lord Games is their D&D (and now C&C) setting, and it is mostly description/fluff. There are rules at the end of the book for modifying races and classes, but most of the book is setting description.

It's on sale right now for $10

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Huw said:
Or alternatively you just do 100% fluff in one book (which you don't need to put a d20 or in fact anything on) and save the crunch for another. AKA Iron Kingdoms (which I recommend).

Oooo... I hadn't thought about IK. Does the World Guide describe all of the assumed classes and of the Player's Guide in the context of the setting? That is, are the default player entry points detailed in the World Guide? Could I play an IK using only the World Guide and, say, True20?

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting akin to Kingdoms of Kalamar? Specifically, is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting that is 98% description and 02% rules content?

I'm not so interested in classes, feats, skills, etc -- I want rich, vivid, descriptions of the setting itself, not three chapters of rules and sixty pages of scattered mechanical references (obviously, this immediately makes things like Eberron a non-option).

Finally, and this is important -- I must be able to pick up/order this product from the FLGS. This means no PDFs or POD stuff (much as I'd like to snag a copy of Murchad's Legacy, financial difficulties prevent me from oredring things online).

So, what settting am I looking for?

Neither D&D nor d20/OGL, but completely without any rules:

Hârn

See
www.columbiagames.com
www.kelestia.com
www.lythia.com
for more details

However it is not available from your FLGS.
Columbia is mail order only
Kelestia is pdf only
Lythia is for free fan downloads

Remove ads