• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Your Group Allow Homebrew or 3PP Material for D&D Games?

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on. So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on.

So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That's possibly part of the issue. But OP was always a thing, and always was official only. We're more aware of it, but I'm not certain *that* many more people are playing organized play.

I think three things had the strongest impact on homebrew:
1) The rise of official 3rd Party stuff during 3e
2) The wealth of official options during 3e
3 The rise of "balance"

Balance was the big one. Suddenly, things were either balanced or unbalanced and it was much more obvious what was good homebrew vs bad. Prior to 3e there was some element of "balance" but it was much more fluid. Designing good homebrew was harder.
This is paired with all the 3PP, which really introduced many people to bad products. The idea that there wasn't some minimum standard of quality and you couldn't necessarily trust a product to be good.
Added into this drama was the myriad of options which made it less necessary to homebrew. If you wanted to play certain things in 2e you simply had to homebrew. You didn't in 3e: you just needed to find the right book. And it was a simple matter to find options you wanted to play: it was easier to base a character around the options available than find options that fit the character.

The internet and even piracy likely made a difference as well. If you wanted an option in 1e or 2e and didn't have the book, finding out where that option would be could be tricky, and getting a copy of that exact book was hard. Then it was a Google search or eBay/Amazon purchase away. You were more aware of what options were out there.
And even if you didn't want to buy the book, it was possible to get the options through a PDF. Not having an unlimited gaming budget was less of an obstacle. It was easily to track down an illegal copy of a warrior prestige class than it was to design your own...

Spinning out of that, I think a lot of DMs pushed back against the options. Because there was so much power creep in the game, it became desirable to get "back to basics" and focus on just the core rulebooks. I saw several DMs doing a PHB only campaign, with even official material requiring a stamp of approval.

Yes. This.

My personal experience has never had DMs that allowed homebrew or 3pp.

I started playing in 4E. None of us had ever played before, including the DM. Heck, we had a TPK (caused by the DM trying to homebrew Zergs from Starcraft) at around level 5 and I suddenly found myselfas the new DM about 3 months into playing the game.

I never would have even considered asking for homebrew, especially not as a player. I was handed the book. These were the rules. And there were plenty of options. More than I could ever play. Why would I need to go through the trouble of making my own and getting it right? My character ideas are flexible enough that I don't need to plead special snowflake. "Please, DM, take your precious time to make a game just for me!"

Then I played Encounters. Obviously official material only. Still way more options than I could think to play.

When I couldn't play Encounters anymore because of time (around the time the playtest started) I joined a Pathfinder campaign. It was Core only. As Jester David mentioned, the common theme is that even a lot of official stuff is broken (and 3.5 was worse, I hear). I certainly see a lot of this now that I play Pathfinder Society (again, official only). I have trouble imagining DMing for PFS (maybe a Core Campaign module). Hard enough to get all the rules right with just Core.

Right now, I currently DM for a group of college students who have never RPed before, much less played D&D. I don't even give them the option of SCAG. They had enough trouble with variant human.

Even playing on EN World, the first thing DMs do is say what is allowed. They don’t say, "Give me some homebrew monster you created and I will make time to evaluate it."

If I don't have the time to write my own adventures (this week I barely prepped by just reading through the first chapter of the adventure (where am I going to find time to give 3PP or homebrew the proper attention and consideration it needs to not wreck things? Not to mention I find a lot of the homebrew material to be covered just fine with official material, and it seems the content is being put out just because they feel the need to put it out, bot because something was missing from the game. If people criticize WOTC for putting out splat, why do we want more?

So no, I don't really appreciate the BadWrongFun vibe I'm getting from this thread because I would rather dedicate my efforts to story, or learning the published adventure well, and not crafting the monster, race, or class of the week for special snowflakes. I don't find that enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Thanks for making me feel like an old man.

I can't imagine a D&D group that was unwilling to consider homebrewed rules, or a DM who wouldn't even consider indulging a player who wanted to use a 3rd party class or spell. I doubt there are many DMs who would refuse to build a custom npc or monster, or to use one from an "unofficial" source, including posts from random people on the web. Any responsible, capable DM will look at any content and evaluate it for the campaign and the party, making changes where appropriate. The published rules are just a starting point, the framework upon which your game is built, and not a shell within which your campaign is forced to fit.

I can see the value in agreeing to stick to the basic rules and a module as written for a new group, or for an established group trying out a new game system. Beyond that, if you don't take ownership of the game and make it your own, you're doing it wrong. I know that sounds pompous in the extreme, but I honestly believe it. Sure, you can have a fun time playing the game without deviating from the published rules, using only the published adventures and even the published pre-gen characters. That's a pale shadow of the thrill you can get from the collaborative creation of a "homebrewed" game.

There is risk involved, to be sure. There's no "play-testing" and there's no one else to blame. Some of what you create will, inevitably, suck. That's ok, in fact some of the worst homebrew content winds up inspiring some of the best stuff later on. The important thing is to own it, to collaborate, to indulge your creativity and let your friends indulge theirs, too.

When a player says "I want to play a halfling barbarian," the correct answer is never "I don't think that's optimal, it won't be balanced with the other characters." As long as your campaign has halflings and barbarians, the correct answer is "We can totally make that work."
Badwrongfun. Got it. Good to know I'm also irresponsible and incapable. Thanks!

TonyP

Explorer
Put me down as a resounding - Of COURSE I use 3pp and homebrew and anything else that's fun. I too have a bit of a cringe reaction to use of the word "official" outside of AL play.

Funny thing is - the bulk of the "official" material, whether we're talking the first three hard cover adventures or the AL season adventures - were written by third party publishers/writers.

And - it's already been mentioned but it bears repeating that Gygax himself told us to mod the game to suit our needs. One could even make the argument that modding is an "official" part of the game!

Finally - here's a bit that hasn't been mentioned yet. A couple "amateur" game designers once modded their favorite game to their group's liking and called those mods Chainmail, Blackmoor, and Dungeons and Dragons! Thank Pelor for those amateurs, Arneson and Gygax!

I allow 3rd party content in my games pending my approval as the DM. I also have homebrew content that I have created myself, a few classes and archetypes primarily, and a few houserules. I do however, tell the player ahead of time that I reserve the right to make changes to any homebrew or 3rd party content pending playtesting/balance issues, and I will often try to encourage ahead player stick to RAW/houserules official content unless there is a good reason to branch out.

Mercule

Adventurer
Homebrew* yes, third party support no.

*As in we play in the DMs' own worlds with the odd made up item here and there.
This. I can't remember being happy with any 3pp stuff since the old Role Aids. I'm sure there's some out there, but the 3E glut finally turned me off from even trying.

Home brew? Heck, yes. That's implicit in playing D&D. It wouldn't be right if I didn't tweak something. I'm a lot more RAW than I was in AD&D, though.

Hussar

Legend
Hiya!

Just voted, and I am actually amazed that only a smidge over 70% are on the "allow" side! O_O Back in the day...yeah, I know....ahem...this sort of question wouldn't even be asked because it's like asking someone who goes to the Olympic games "Do you only eat officially sponsored food for the entire time of the Olympics?" ...it just seems...so...wacky.

Anyway, yeah, if something is cool or needs a smack with the Fix-It Stick, then that's what we do. Honestly, the thought of "official only" never enters into any of our minds. Huh... "The times...they are a change'n".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I gotta admit, I'm in the same boat here. 1 group in 3 is "Official material only"? Wow. That a LOT. I would never have guessed that it was that high.

KahlessNestor said:
So no, I don't really appreciate the BadWrongFun vibe I'm getting from this thread because I would rather dedicate my efforts to story, or learning the published adventure well, and not crafting the monster, race, or class of the week for special snowflakes. I don't find that enjoyable.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-homebrew-or-3PP-material/page7#ixzz4OWXoGFNW

It's not really a badwrongfun thing at all though. It's just such a very different way of approaching the game than what some of us experience. I mean, a lot of people here started in 3e (or at the very least played in 3e) where the d20 boom produced some SPECTACULAR products (and a whole boatful of really, really bad ones :p). These were products that entered the gaming zeitgheist to the same degree that some of the official books have. Things like Rappan Athuk or Freeport, or Ptolus were very, very popular and widely used.

Heck, the ... shall we say questionable? ... 3rd party license for 4e was contentious to say the least. It was a major issue at the time. Which, in my mind, led me to believe that 3PP material was being widely used at many tables. Granted, even in this poll, we're still talking a sizable majority using non-official material. But, I am surprised at high large the minority seems to be.

I don't even allow most first-party material. A reasonable game world doesn't need both vampires and dragons.

If someone wants to suggest something during the world-building phase, which takes places several months before the campaign starts, then I'm more than open to including things that they find in third-party material or come up with themself. Who came up with the thing has zero impact on whether or not it goes into the world.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes. This.

My personal experience has never had DMs that allowed homebrew or 3pp.

I started playing in 4E. None of us had ever played before, including the DM. Heck, we had a TPK (caused by the DM trying to homebrew Zergs from Starcraft) at around level 5 and I suddenly found myselfas the new DM about 3 months into playing the game.

I never would have even considered asking for homebrew, especially not as a player. I was handed the book. These were the rules. And there were plenty of options. More than I could ever play. Why would I need to go through the trouble of making my own and getting it right? My character ideas are flexible enough that I don't need to plead special snowflake. "Please, DM, take your precious time to make a game just for me!"

Then I played Encounters. Obviously official material only. Still way more options than I could think to play.

When I couldn't play Encounters anymore because of time (around the time the playtest started) I joined a Pathfinder campaign. It was Core only. As Jester David mentioned, the common theme is that even a lot of official stuff is broken (and 3.5 was worse, I hear). I certainly see a lot of this now that I play Pathfinder Society (again, official only). I have trouble imagining DMing for PFS (maybe a Core Campaign module). Hard enough to get all the rules right with just Core.

Right now, I currently DM for a group of college students who have never RPed before, much less played D&D. I don't even give them the option of SCAG. They had enough trouble with variant human.

Even playing on EN World, the first thing DMs do is say what is allowed. They don’t say, "Give me some homebrew monster you created and I will make time to evaluate it."

If I don't have the time to write my own adventures (this week I barely prepped by just reading through the first chapter of the adventure (where am I going to find time to give 3PP or homebrew the proper attention and consideration it needs to not wreck things? Not to mention I find a lot of the homebrew material to be covered just fine with official material, and it seems the content is being put out just because they feel the need to put it out, bot because something was missing from the game. If people criticize WOTC for putting out splat, why do we want more?

I don't think anyone is saying you are wrong, I certainly am not. Game on friend, game on!

I think the intent of the poll was to counter other people saying things like "most DMs don't allow 3PP", which apparently is not true.

Remove ads

Remove ads