• No, we show our appreciation at other times

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 77 65.3%

• Poll closed .

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
EricNoah said:
Although I have, of course, heard of it, I marked "never heard of it" because no one in my group has, nor do I think they would bother with it even if they did know about it.

I think people would be surprised by how much their players appreciate their GM and what the players would do if they knew about this burgeoning holiday. When I've mentioned it to people who only play (as opposed to doing any GMing at all), they've all said it is a great idea and they think it is a well deserved tribute. Though you might not want to mention it yourself to your own players, don't sell your players short by assuming they would not bother with it.

On a more general note, it isn't about buying anything (though I am grateful for the EN World dice bag that Barendd Nobeard gave me last year, and a bag of plastic bears I got from "The Toe") or even going out of your way (picking up the lunch tab is a really nice gesture, too). It's just about acknowledging all of the hard work a GM does for the group. A simple "Thank you" goes a really long way and probably doesn't get said often enough, or strongly enough, throughout the year.

For those who feel uncomfortable spreading the word, just don't do it with your own group. You can certainly make mention of it with other people at your local gamestore, online, and always mark your calendar (leaving it out in a prominent location ;) ). :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Mark said:
I think people would be surprised by how much their players appreciate their GM and what the players would do if they knew about this burgeoning holiday. When I've mentioned it to people who only play (as opposed to doing any GMing at all), they've all said it is a great idea and they think it is a well deserved tribute. Though you might not want to mention it yourself to your own players, don't sell your players short by assuming they would not bother with it.

Well you gotta realize that I'm the kind of guy who doesn't even celebrate his own birthday, and would love it if Christmas dropped off the calendar as well. :D I really am a big humbug in some ways.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
EricNoah said:
Well you gotta realize that I'm the kind of guy who doesn't even celebrate his own birthday, and would love it if Christmas dropped off the calendar as well. :D I really am a big humbug in some ways.

You have trouble accepting compliments and your due amount of credit, too, or so I've noticed over the years in regard to how much your little third edition heralding page has effected the hobby, online and elsewhere. Nothing wrong with being humble but I'm sure you don't wish your own humility to lessen anyone else's pleasure, good time, or well-deserved accolades. I think you just need to shift the focus from what you deserve to what you think other GMs deserve. Surely, as someone who has worn the hat (figuratively speaking ;) ), you know as well as anyone how much work it requires to do it well. I also know that you are someone who is not shy about praising someone else when you feel they deserve it. Use that as your reasoning and I'm sure you'll enjoy this new holiday (and perhaps more traditional ones, as well).

Mark said:
though I am grateful for the EN World dice bag that Barendd Nobeard gave me last year

Hey, it's the least I could do for the DM who gaves us the "exploding toilet" scene at a Chicago GameDay. :p

Glad you like the bag! And, again, thanks for all you do (both in and out of game)!

CarlZog

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
Never heard of it.

Any details on its origins or what it entails?

Dear GlassJaw;

It's nothing you're gonna use to hustle us into giving you presents or taking you out to eat, if that's what you're thinking. :)

Sincerely,
Your Tuesday group.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Considering the larger amount of money and time a DM has to spend to make a great game, the players should pay the DM's lunch (regular price, not caviar, and not booze) each game.

Joël

Wombat

First Post
Yep. Last year the group told me not to bring any munchies for the first one, they provided 100% of them. They also gifted me with new D20s, one from each of them (6 new dice to kill and maim with! HUZZAH!).

I am looking forward to another GM's Day :cool:

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
We celebrate. Although I wasn't playing with the group last year and had to thank my DM from afar, this will be the second year that the group lauds the DM. The players are encouraged to buy the DM things like minis, which he brings to all the games whether he's DMing or not, and we get extra XP for them. So he gets presents, the group has more minis at its disposal, and we get precious eeps. Everybody wins!

Remove ads