• Yes, we love our GM

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • No, we show our appreciation at other times

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 77 65.3%

• Poll closed .
Umbran said:
Nice ad copy, but honestly, I think GM Day is pretty solidly a local phenomenon. None of my players read EN World, so none of them have ever heard about it. And it isn't like I'm gonna go tootin' my own horn to them about it. :)
What we need to do is get some gaming stores and WotC to acknowledge its existance. If WotC would put up even a 'Happy GM's Day!' on their main page, it would get the word out there.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yeah, he does. But I don't him to know that. You know how big-headed those GMs can get.

I will be running another game but Carl isn't in that group. But yes, I do deserve it (especially after letting them live tonight). :p

CarlZog

Explorer
spunkrat said:
Hmm - he does have a big head, doesn't he?! :p

I've been advised by my attorneys that it's in the best interest of my character's life that I not answer that question at this time. :p

All kidding aside, we're pretty lucky to have GlassJaw. He started our group, and I wouldn't be back in a weekly game without him. He's pretty creative and very diligent about the details. He's also been great about guiding our group, who aren't always well-versed in the rules. In addition to us and his other D&D group, he's working hard on a GT campaign, has some Shadowrun up his sleeve, and is now starting to organize an occasional "game night" get-together just to play one-shots of other genres and games. The hobby could use more guys like him.

Carl

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mark said:
Not ad copy but you'd have caught that if you had read and understood the rest of what I wrote.

Oh, I understand what GM's Day is about. I was merely reacting to the "burgeoning". Given the actual scope of the thing, "burgeoning holiday" comes across as pure Madison Avenue - specifically in the "everyone is starting to do it, so you should too" peer pressure sense. It's a phrase designed to sell it to folks based not upon it's actual merit, but upon how many of your peers are engaging in it. Sorry if I don't respond well to that :)

Local phenomenon? Sure, I guess. Of course that's changing and it only begs the question whether you'll be on the sidelines, embracing it down the road, or jumping on board now to be part of that growing phenomenon.

I don't think any such question is invited. At the moment, I am the only GM I work with - I run games but don't play in any. Right now, the only person I have to appreciate is myself. So it's rather like you're asking me to jump on the Secretary's Day bandwagon when I don't have a secretary.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would actively work against an idea like this.

Accurate description is actively working against it?

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
What we need to do is get some gaming stores and WotC to acknowledge its existance. If WotC would put up even a 'Happy GM's Day!' on their main page, it would get the word out there.

Yes, however, if the ones who sell gaming products are the ones to pick it up, it would look like an obvious ploy to sell more gaming supplies. More appropriate would be banners on fan sites - here, RPG.net, and so on.

Last edited:

CarlZog

Explorer
Umbran said:
Yes, however, if the ones who sell gaming products are the ones to pick it up, it would look like an obvious ploy to sell more gaming supplies.

It kind of is an obvious ploy to sell more gaming supplies, and that doesn't bother me in the least:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2021970#post2021970

More appropriate would be banners on fan sites - here, RPG.net, and so on.

You mean like these?

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/images/gmsday/gmsday_273_139.gif
http://www.creativemountaingames.com/images/gmsday/GMDbanner4.gif

Carl

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
CarlZog said:
It kind of is an obvious ploy to sell more gaming supplies, and that doesn't bother me in the least

That's very good for you. However a great many folks have a problem with commercial holidays designed to sell candy, toys, or what have you. And WotC already has to fight a money-grubbing reputation as it is. Many folks really find the dishonesty of saying "we want you to appreciate someone" when you really mean, "We want you to buy our stuff" to be distatsteful and self-serving.

You mean like these?

No, really not like those. The message those send is "buy stuff" first, and "appreciate your GM" second. If, as Mark says, it isn't about buying things and a "thank you" serves well, then the gift boxes are unnecessary and misleading. Encourage people to appreciate one who does work for them, sure. That's good. Telling them how they should go about doing so is less than good. More honest to give people the idea, and let them choose the method for showing their appreciation.

GlassJaw

Hero
I hardly think the point of having a GM's day is to sell product. I think that's going a bit overboard.

It's just about acknowledging all of the hard work a GM does for the group. A simple "Thank you" goes a really long way and probably doesn't get said often enough, or strongly enough, throughout the year.

Very nicely said. I just want to know that the players are having fun and they look forward to showing up every week. If I know that, then it makes the work that much easier.

All kidding aside, we're pretty lucky to have GlassJaw. He started our group, and I wouldn't be back in a weekly game without him. He's pretty creative and very diligent about the details. He's also been great about guiding our group, who aren't always well-versed in the rules. In addition to us and his other D&D group, he's working hard on a GT campaign, has some Shadowrun up his sleeve, and is now starting to organize an occasional "game night" get-together just to play one-shots of other genres and games. The hobby could use more guys like him.

Thanks! That's greatly appreciated. :D

Although I'm not sure if it makes me sound like I have no life. :lol:

And don't think for a second your words will atone for what you did to Prickles...

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Now that I've heard of it we'll probably go and celebrate. Since we all GM though it would probably just involve buying alot of beer and getting drunk.

CarlZog

Explorer
Umbran said:
That's very good for you. However a great many folks have a problem with commercial holidays designed to sell candy, toys, or what have you. And WotC already has to fight a money-grubbing reputation as it is. Many folks really find the dishonesty of saying "we want you to appreciate someone" when you really mean, "We want you to buy our stuff" to be distatsteful and self-serving.

Fair enough. You're right: It is self-serving and dishonest, and lots of people hate the commercialization of holidays. But as a culture of consumers, we shrug our shoulders and march off to the mall anyway.

I guess I'm not particularly bothered by it, 'cause even though I understand what's going on, I frankly still have fun participating by buying, giving and getting stuff.

But if it bothers you, just ignore it. Holidays are probably the least of the dishonest, distasteful and self-serving marketing messages in your face everyday. You can't let them all get to you.

Besides, if we truly appreciate our GMs or anyone else in our lives, we really don't need ANYBODY -- businesses or otherwise -- reminding us to express our gratitude on some designated day. We should be doing it regularly in whatever way works.

Carl

Remove ads