Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC- Alpha Group

Dr Simon

Explorer
This is the new OOC thread for the "Alpha" group of my CotCT campaign.
That's the group with:

Shayuri
Kinem
Leif
Walking Dad
(Formerly: airwalkrr, rpgramen)

Using the Pathfinder RPG Beta rules (free download!) with the following variants:

- 20 point buy (see the first chapter of the rules)
- starting hit points are Constitution + Con modifer + maximum class hit die.

Other options:
-Scribe Scroll becomes Craft Spell-Completion Item. Mechanically identical, but you can choose the form that the item takes.
-Brew Potion becomes Craft Single-Use Item. Again, mechanically identical but you choose the form that the item takes. These allow for a bit of customisation to your crafter-type casters.

Download the (free) players guide PDF from paizo.com, use any options therein that you like including traits to align your character background with the campaign start.
Posting guidelines:

- Choose a colour for IC speech.
- I'm a bit haphazard about OOC stuuf, if it's bit I put it in spoiler blocks, otherwise not.
- Generally in my games I do the dice rolling (using the engine at Pen, Paper and Pixel) but I don't complain if you give me Invisible Castle rolls sometimes.

Houserules:

- I'm using the "fast" experience rate from the Pathfinder Beta rules.
- I'm using the Disabled and Dying variant from Arcana Evolved. You are Disabled between 0 hp and your Con modifier as a negative number (if modifier is normally positive). If you have a Con higher than 10, you are Dying until you reach -Con hit points. The Half-Orc Ferocity racial trait increases your Disabled range by 1.

Example: Con 14 (+2 mod) means you are Disabled between 0 and -2 hp, Dying from -3 to -14 hp, and dead from -15 hp onwards. If you have Ferocity, you would be Disabled between 0 and -3 hp, Dying between -4 and -14 hp.

Brief campaign setting summary for those who have not yet read the PG:

Korvosa is a sprawling city, roughly 300 years old settled by the old Chelaxian Empire. The Empire may have crumbled, but the former colony remains vibrant, a city of extreme wealth and extreme poverty. The majority of the human population are of Chelaxian descent (kind of European as far as I can tell) although many are now of mixed descent with the indigenous Varisian humans (kind of Romany Gypsy). Full Varisians are treated with suspicion as thieves and witches. The city was originally won from land settled by the Shoanti humans (kind of Native Americans), and Korvosa Castle is built upon the remains of an ancient Shoanti pyramid.

The rulership of Korvosa is considered something of a curse - the Curse of the Crimson Throne. No ruler of Korvosa has ever died of old age or left a clear line of succession. The current king, Eodred II, is old and, as rumour go, sick from an incurable illness. Everyone is poised to see what will happen when the old king finally succumbs to the Curse. Eodred is notorious for his love (or lust) of much younger women - his current (and only) Queen Ileosa is about a third of his age and although formerly unpopular due to her haughty demeanour towards Korvosa has garnered some sympathy as the devoted wife of an ailing man.

But all this is way above the sphere of your characters who all share one thing in common - a petty criminal by the name of Gaedon Lamm. Lamm is a bit player in the underworld of Korvosa, but an unpleasant* one nonetheless. He deals in the mind-bending drug known as "shiver", and has ruined many lives with it. He keeps a stable of orphans, known as his "Little Lamms" that he uses to steal for him to fund his business. The Little Lamms are not treated kindly. He has his fingers in other minor scams as well, a bit of extortion, a bit of blackmail, a bit of kidnapping. Most of this affects only the poor and dregs of society, so the city watch have neither the time nor the inclination to do anything about him. At some point in your past, Lamm has affected either you or somebody close to you (see Traits section of the Player's Guide). As the campaign begins, someone decides that it is time for payback....

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Nuts, I checked the area of effect but not the range. What do you want to do instead? Try the darkness effect again but centre it on something else (the alligator, a nearby pillar)? Or a completely different action?

kinem

Adventurer
BTW, is Tristan going to be able to act before the gator? He delayed his action to see what the other PCs would do (stay in the room or get out) but they all act before the gator.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You know, I've got this crazy idea, and correct me if I'm wrong, but rogues have this ability called sneak attack right? :hmm: And they get to use said ability on flat-footed creatures right? And said gator is flat-footed right? So call this a hair-brained scheme, but maybe Bael should try to attack the gator while it is flat-footed and get a sneak attack. :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
BTW, is Tristan going to be able to act before the gator? He delayed his action to see what the other PCs would do (stay in the room or get out) but they all act before the gator.

Yes, I think old Gobbleguts is last out of everyone in the initiative order, so you could still squeeze in an action before him. (Well, the poor old thing's got a brain the size of a walnut and he's had years of abuse from his master, no wonder he's slow :.-()

Walking Dad

First Post
The darkness was my brainfart, sorry. And I would have done the sneak attack thing if not for the really cool idea to let Lamm deal with his own enraged pet.

So, please retcon the darkness and keep my move out of the room.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Hey everyone, starting tomorrow, I will be away for the holidays and internet access will be sketchy. Should back by Monday though.

Leif

Adventurer
Dr. Si,

I see that you've recruited the one additional character that you asked for. Might you possibly consider taking on a Fighter or a Paladin as well?

Hi: Kinem, WD, Sharyuri! Hi as well, airwalkrr, although I'm not sure we've ever actually met here before?

Hmmm, maybe I spoke too soon, is airwalkrr still active in this game?

Last edited:

Remove ads