Dragon 364 News at Gleemax [merged]

The Little Raven

First Post
Scholar & Brutalman said:
When the NDA is over they may intend to get freelancers to write articles.

The fact that Ari wrote one of the articles listed shows that they've already got freelancers on the job.

I worry that WotC's failure to meet their deadlines in DDI means they won't meet these more important ones.

That's funny, I get the opposite impression, since the books are priority number one.

Khairn

First Post
Mourn said:
That's funny, I get the opposite impression, since the books are priority number one.

I always thought delivering what they actually committed too would have been #1. But hey, that's not your #1 and that's OK. Different priorities and different perspectives are what makes this site so great.

The Little Raven

First Post
Devyn said:
I always thought delivering what they actually committed too would have been #1. But hey, that's not your #1 and that's OK. Different priorities and different perspectives are what makes this site so great.

When you've got "supplementary material" and "core material" and only time to get one or the other out on time, it only makes sense for your "core material" to be given top priority... because what good is the supplementary material if there's no core for it to build upon.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Mourn said:
When you've got "supplementary material" and "core material" and only time to get one or the other out on time, it only makes sense for your "core material" to be given top priority... because what good is the supplementary material if there's no core for it to build upon.

Like say, supporting the world's most popular RPG 3.5 D&D right? :lol:

Or having the supplementary work farmed out to another company leaving the "core company" all the time it needs to work on that "core material" while the "supplementary companY" works on that "supplementary material".

Hussar

Legend
Scholar & Brutalman said:
I have a rather Machiavellian theory that Wizards brought Dungeon/Dragon and the rest of their IP back in-house not because they wanted to do much with it themselves but mainly to make sure that no-one else was going to use it to support 3.5. If this is the case, they'll probably license it back out once 4e is firmly established.

They clearly don't have enough staff to produce content for DDI while writing their new editions. When the NDA is over they may intend to get freelancers to write articles. Right now they've produced nothing that makes me feel like spending money to subscribe.

I'm also wondering why we haven't seen more of the DDI Game Table and Character Creator applications that are supposed to be previewing in June.

/snip

On the latest GamerZero podcast, they said they would be previewing the Game Table and the Character Creator at Winter Experience. So, we should be getting some serious feedback in a couple of weeks.

One thing that's different between this rollout and the rollout for 3e is, instead of only snippets in Dragon, they're going to let several thousand people PLAY 4e several months before release and talk about it.

I'm thinking the dam on information is about to burst.

Khairn

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Like say, supporting the world's most popular RPG 3.5 D&D right? :lol:

Or having the supplementary work farmed out to another company leaving the "core company" all the time it needs to work on that "core material" while the "supplementary companY" works on that "supplementary material".

But Joe, if they did that they would ... I don't know ... be living up to their own stated commitment and supporting their current customers. But yeah, I could see where that would be something they would want to avoid doing. :D

Hussar

Legend
Devyn said:
But Joe, if they did that they would ... I don't know ... be living up to their own stated commitment and supporting their current customers. But yeah, I could see where that would be something they would want to avoid doing. :D

Yeah, I guess that several hundred pages of adventures doesn't count as any support huh?

Or a couple of hundred pages of 3.5 support either since October.

Granted, it's not as much as you'd get from a print Dragon, but, then again, it's free.

Mourn said:

I agree: the core books are by far the most important product they are working on. The problem is that the managers at WotC obviously thought that they had the resources to produce both the core and the supplementary material - otherwise, why would they have announced all these Dragon articles that aren't appearing? If they've misjudged the staffing levels needed, I'm worried they still may not have enough to produce the core books by June.

Mirtek

Hero
Hussar said:
Yeah, I guess that several hundred pages of adventures doesn't count as any support huh?

Or a couple of hundred pages of 3.5 support either since October.

Granted, it's not as much as you'd get from a print Dragon, but, then again, it's free.
However they promised to make the a seamless transition -> which they failed to do
Then they promised tp go bi-monthly as they admited thaty the are currently unable to do it monthly -> they once agan failed

Even counting what they released, it's not only less than Dragon/Dungeon, it's actually also less then the ordinary amount of ree stuff they used to release while the magazones were still in print

Last edited:

sckeener

First Post
Mirtek said:
However they promised to make the a seamless transition -> which they failed to do
Then they promised tp go bi-monthly as they admited thaty the are currently unable to do it monthly -> they once agan failed

Even counting what they released, it's not only less than Dragon/Dungeon, it's actually also less then the ordinary amount of free stuff they used to release while the magazines were still in print

agreed and what I was trying to say earlier about how much I use to frequent their site...now I don't even bother until someone posts here about an article.

Eventually people will stop posting that a new article has appeared...and I will miss it and not even care...

Remove ads