Dragon Age 4 (Dreadwolf) now in alpha

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, and for people on the fence about DA:I, it does a really good job of setting up Solas so that while he might end up being the antagonist of this sequel, you can sympathise with his goals. He may be the antagonist, but whether or not he's a villain depends on your point of view, which is a credit to the DA storytellers.
Wait, does it depend? He...wants to end the world, basically?

pukunui

Legend
Wait, does it depend? He...wants to end the world, basically?
The way I see it is that he wants to save his people (the elves) from slavery (again). So his heart is in the right place. It's just that his methods are going to cause great devastation for the non-elven races ... but then he no doubt justifies that because of the continued ill treatment of the elves.

doctorbadwolf

The way I see it is that he wants to save his people (the elves) from slavery (again). So his heart is in the right place. It's just that his methods are going to cause great devastation for the non-elven races ... but then he no doubt justifies that because of the continued ill treatment of the elves.
You're describing an unambiguous villain.

Like I am literally all about the elves murdering their masters and taking their freedom into their own hands. But this dude views the Dalish as basically slaves because they...don't have enough information to accurately keep the old customs and faith of their ancestors...which he could literally just fix.

Not to mention the messed up dynamic wherein he craps on modern elves for losing their knowledge...which happened through no fault of their own.

Dude is 100% terrible. He's just hot because he looks like Lee Pace and he's mysterious in the first half of the game.

Davies

Legend
He wanted to save his people from slavery to other elves, so he separated the world from the fade. This created the circumstances under which the elves ended up in slavery to humans. So now he will remove the separation of the world from the fade, which restores the original circumstances under which his people were enslaved to other elves.

He doesn't have a good track record with these plans of his, is what I'm saying.

doctorbadwolf

He wanted to save his people from slavery to other elves, so he separated the world from the fade. This created the circumstances under which the elves ended up in slavery to humans. So now he will remove the separation of the world from the fade, which restores the original circumstances under which his people were enslaved to other elves.

He doesn't have a good track record with these plans of his, is what I'm saying.
Well, and humans have a stronger grasp of magic and dealing with spirits than modern elves, so like...Tevinter is much more likely to come out on top of all this than any elf faction!

I've started Inquisition about three or four times, but I never got much past the first open area. It's one of those where I keep thinking "if I can just get through this part, maybe it'll start to be enjoyable." I don't get the impression that I was missing too much.
Dragon Age: Inquisition has a great (if heavily railroaded) main story. Much better than the meandering soap opera of Dragon Age II. The problem is it hid the quests that mattered in a huge forest of some of the worst sidequests ever designed. Mass Effect: Andromeda did the same, apart from it had a worse main story. Hopefully they have learned their lesson.

Of note: The DA:I companion Vivienne is voiced by Indira Varma, who plays Tala in Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Dragon Age: Inquisition has a great (if heavily railroaded) main story. Much better than the meandering soap opera of Dragon Age II. The problem is it hid the quests that mattered in a huge forest of some of the worst sidequests ever designed.
You reckon? I felt like all the main quests were really obvious and I had to delay doing many of them in order to see what all the other ones.

What I will say is that it is overloaded with unnecessary customization options. The crafting gets a bit tedious after a while.

Of note: The DA:I companion Vivienne is voiced by Indra Varma, who plays Tala in Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Interesting! I didn’t recognize her voice. But then I didn’t really like Vivienne so only used her as a companion when I had to.

I played an elf mage and usually used Cassandra/Iron Bull, Varric/Sera, and Dorian/Solas. Didn’t like Black Wall and just never bothered with Cole.

You reckon? I felt like all the main quests were really obvious and I had to delay doing many of them in order to see what all the other ones.
Thery weren't well hidden. But anyone who is remotely completionist is going to be distracted by those side quests, in the hope that they might stumble across one that is interesting and relevant (and what's worse, a couple are, you just have to wade through a ton of detritus to find them).
Interesting! I didn’t recognize her voice. But then I didn’t really like Vivienne so only used her as a companion when I had to.
I didn't, it was too long ago, and I don't think anyone liked the character! But I recognised Indira, so I looked up her CV.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Thery weren't well hidden. But anyone who is remotely completionist is going to be distracted by those side quests, in the hope that they might across one that is interesting and relevant (and what's worse, a couple are, you just have to wade through a ton of detritus to find them).
It definitely suffers from side quest bloat like DA:O (but not DA2), but I don’t agree that there was anything particularly important hidden away among all the large maps full of crafting materials. Lots of little lore secrets and such but nothing of great import to the main plot.

I didn't, it was too long ago, and I don't think anyone liked the character!
Vivienne’s a bit too haughty and too anti-mage freedom for my taste, which is a shame because she’s a great dresser!

Remove ads