Dragon Magic

Vocenoctum

First Post
Crothian said:
This is really one of the better WotC books in quite a while. It has a lot of versatility dealing with dragon themed characters. It is well written with interesting mechancis and interesting writing. It has also made me rethink Races of Dragon which I was not all that thrilled with by itself.

I like Dragon Magic. The only thing I disagree with is it didn't make me rethink RoDragon, so much as feel that THIS should have been RoDragon and the first book looks even more worthless to me now. (There are some decent things in RoDragon, but they would have feet easily enough in Dragon Magic, IMO.)

I'd have prefered a lower level vestige also, but since I don't think there're many Binders being played, I can see their choice.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
I'd have prefered a lower level vestige also, but since I don't think there're many Binders being played, I can see their choice.

If you say the vestige is Ashardalon or Tchazzar, I'll buy the book without any other information. :)

BryonD

Hero
Crothian said:
Dragon Magic stands mostly alone. It does have things for other books and the themes for it fit well with Races of Dragon. But most of the book works just fine with just the PHB.
I agree.
I don't have RoDragon and nothing in Dragon Magic has made me feel like I'm missing out in the least.

As to the quality of the book, I'm pretty much in agreement with the general sentiment here.
It is a good book.

I'm not blown away, but I give it a thumbs up. Which isn't something I've said about a WotC product recently.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I don't have the book - largely because I am waiting for Complete Mage to come out so I can hopefully get both ordered and save me some shipping. If I get two books from where I order from, they ship free cause its over $25.

However, I did sit down the other day in a Barnes and Nobel and read it through cover-to-cover. And yes ... I routinely buy stuff there (especially food) so it isn't like they are losing out on any business! ;) But I can't wait to get this book.

I wasn't really impressed with the dragonfire adept ... but then again I do admit to growing tired of adding new base classes. The fact that there was only one in this book was actually perfect. One new class is cool. And it doesn't appear to be any more powerful than a warlock or dragon shaman, so I'm cool with it.

I agree with everyone else that it is a grab-bag of pieces that can be implemented. In this respect, it kinda reminded me of Uneathed Arcana in that UA presents multiple options that can be implemented apart from the rest of the book. That I thought was actually very awesome about the book. I hope to see more of this from WotC before 4e comes out and I stop buying gaming material!

I did think the book was a bit on the short side, but I also feel like if it was a total crunch book it would've been the right number of pages. As more fluff gets added, I like the pages to increase because fluff takes so much longer to explain than chrunch. If the page count stays the same, I feel shorted on a fluf book than a crunch book. Since this book contains a fair amount of both, it didn't bother me too badly.

All in all, I'd give it a 4 out of 5 based on my first read. Definately useful - and easily implemented without changing how a world works. If it would've had another 40 pages of fluff or so, I'd feel I could give it a 4.5 out of 5 or maybe even a 5 out of 5.

I'll be buying this one, happily.

fafhrd

First Post
I'm curious about how people view the Eldritch Glaive warlock invocation. From the flavor text, the author seemed to be under the impression that the warlock was a 1/2 BAB class. Is the invocation too strong(as a least) for an average BAB class?

Remove ads