Dragon Magic

Crothian

First Post
fafhrd said:
I'm curious about how people view the Eldritch Glaive warlock invocation. From the flavor text, the author seemed to be under the impression that the warlock was a 1/2 BAB class. Is the invocation too strong(as a least) for an average BAB class?

I think the ability is fine, they just made an error with the example.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Odhanan said:
Can you use Dragon Magic without Races of the Dragon?
Does using both together make Dr. Magic any better?

I don't have Races of the Dragon but found Dragon Magic nearly 100% useable without it. I really like this book especially the new invocations for the Warlock and a possible invocation for the Dragon Shaman from PHB 2 (he can replace a 5th level Aura with one Least Invocation). The spells have a coherent dragon theme and look well designed overall. I really liked the Prestige Classes in this book especially the Dragon Lord.

Vocenoctum

First Post
The only thing that struck me offhand as "not in this book" was the quick mention of Dragon domain, they gave the power and spell list, but a couple unique spells are listed without being present in this book. That said, they're from Draconomicon (and reprinted in Spell Compendium) so RoDragon is still not needed.

As for Eldritch Glaive, I think the part that isn't explained well is whether you have to use the power each round and it lasts until the next round, or if you shape it whenever you feel like it and can attack with it as a full round. I think the former, which makes it susceptable to AoO's when used, which reduces it's usefulness quite a bit. I also assume that it's a weapon with reach, but still allows adjacent attacks, vs a polearm that is reach only. It mentions you can make AoO's with it so I assume it's capable of close hitting, but... who knows.

Melee touch attack is nice though.

BryonD

Hero
The more I look at this book, the more I like it.

Vocenoctum, I agree with your assessment of eldritch glaive. I don't think melee touch is that great since you already has ranged touch for the same AoO. But now you can keep the effect around for a round for taking AoOs yourself. Not much of an advantage, but I guess you could build a concept around it.

Kvantum

First Post
GwydapLlew said:
Oh happy day! *G*
And Tchazzar is in Dragons of Faerun, alive and now immortal thanks to 12 levels in Dragon Ascendant, making him a Quasideity (DvR 0).

I really like Dragon Magic, but I still want a straight answer on Dragonfire Adepts and Metabreath feats - it looks like they can't take them, while Dragon Shamans from PHB2 at least by the RAW seem like they can take Metabreath feats...

Crothian

First Post
Kvantum said:
I really like Dragon Magic, but I still want a straight answer on Dragonfire Adepts and Metabreath feats - it looks like they can't take them, while Dragon Shamans from PHB2 at least by the RAW seem like they can take Metabreath feats...

I haven't looked into it but what makes you think the Adepts can't?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yep. To take a meta-breath feat, you must have a breath weapon with a recharge time measured in rounds. The example in the book is that a Behir could not take a meta-breath feat because its breath weapon's recharge time is 1 minute.

So, I'm for beefing up the Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon a tiny bit and giving it a 1d4 round recharge time, just because meta-breath feats are cool.

What kind of a buff-up would be appropriate? +1d6 damage? Double the durations for the various breath effects?

Cheers, -- N

BryonD

Hero
Nifft said:
Yep. To take a meta-breath feat, you must have a breath weapon with a recharge time measured in rounds. The example in the book is that a Behir could not take a meta-breath feat because its breath weapon's recharge time is 1 minute.

So, I'm for beefing up the Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon a tiny bit and giving it a 1d4 round recharge time, just because meta-breath feats are cool.

What kind of a buff-up would be appropriate? +1d6 damage? Double the durations for the various breath effects?

Cheers, -- N
I haven't thought this through yet, so maybe I'm missing something.
But, assuming the feats themselves are balanced, it seems you could just say that the every round gains a delay equal to the normal feat's delay.
I know that is not what the rule says. But I think it would be fine.
If anything, a delay of 1 or 2 rounds would be a bigger cost to an Adept than to a dragon.
Turning 0 rounds delay into a 2 round delay is a bigger price than turning a 2.5 avg delay into a 4.5 delay.
For the behir, turning a 10 round delay into an 11 round delay is almost meaningless. So I can see why it would not work there.
So as long as the real cost persists, it seems within the spirit, if not letter, of the rules.

Remove ads