Dragon Magic

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Nifft said:
Yep. To take a meta-breath feat, you must have a breath weapon with a recharge time measured in rounds. The example in the book is that a Behir could not take a meta-breath feat because its breath weapon's recharge time is 1 minute.

Hmmm. I know its not right ... but can't 1 minute be written as 10 rounds? Thus, if a breath recharge is one minute, it is 12 rounds. :D

Like I said - I know its not the same thing. Just stretching that's all.

BryonD

Hero
Nonlethal Force said:
Hmmm. I know its not right ... but can't 1 minute be written as 10 rounds? Thus, if a breath recharge is one minute, it is 12 rounds. :D

Like I said - I know its not the same thing. Just stretching that's all.
And the Dragon Adept's can be used at will, which means every round. Even more clearly in rounds. ;)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I've just reread the Dragonscale Husk alternate class feature, and I'm getting more and more confused. I've got a few things I'd like to hear your opinions on:

1) What kind of bonus to AC is it?
2a) What does the husk's AC bonus stack with?
2b) What doesn't it stack with?
3) Does it provide a bonus to touch AC and/or flatfooted AC?
4) Can you cast spells in it without a chance of arcane spell failure?
5) Would a dragonblooded changeling with a husk be able to disguise it as just another part of his body?

Thanks!
-blarg

FireLance

Legend
blargney the second said:
I've just reread the Dragonscale Husk alternate class feature, and I'm getting more and more confused. I've got a few things I'd like to hear your opinions on:
I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I'll try to work off memory.

1) What kind of bonus to AC is it?
2a) What does the husk's AC bonus stack with?
2b) What doesn't it stack with?

I'm inclined to treat it as an armor bonus to AC. This means it won't stack with anything that provides an armor bonus to AC (such as bracers of armor or a mage armor spell), but it will stack with a shield, or with natural armor. I wouldn't consider it natural armor because I want draconic races with tougher scales to get the same AC boost from the ability as those with weaker scales, and making it a boost to natural armor makes it too easy to increase AC with spells and items that provide an armor bonus to AC.

3) Does it provide a bonus to touch AC and/or flatfooted AC?
As an armor bonus, it adds to flat-footed AC, but not to touch AC.

4) Can you cast spells in it without a chance of arcane spell failure?
Yes.

5) Would a dragonblooded changeling with a husk be able to disguise it as just another part of his body?
I'd rule yes, but imperfectly. A Spot check that beats his Disguise check would reveal that the changeling's skin appears harder and scalier than it should be.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Just for the record I like this book and it's a much better complimentary work to Draconomicon than Races of the Dragon was/is.

joshhg

First Post
Dragon Magic is a good source of 'dragon-themed' materials, which is diffrent from Dragonmanicon, which is introducing dragons as diffrent and unique race, and RoDragons, which I have not read, but seems to be introducing dragon themed races and such.
It is a great resource, and my only complaint is that it has a little bit of reprint from Dragon Magazine. But since those were two of my favorite dragon articles of all time, it's not that bad.
If you use any of the newer WotC books and want to show how dragons pull it off, pick this book up.
JHG

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Josh,

Uhm what I thought of the Draconomicon was this: A way for DMs (and some players) to use dragons more fully in their games as well as offer a detailed explanation of draconic life, history, beliefs and especially things to make dragons tougher and the PCs also.

Dragon Magic, on the other hand, is a way to have an all dragon campaign and use that along with the Draconomicon to encourage the PCs to use dragon-like powers more fully.

Races of the Dragon was just...another race dud. :p

joshhg

First Post
True, but it still seems to me that Dragon Magic is more of a book to get if you want some cool dragon bits without having to go into 'great' detail. For a more hack n slash game, this is better than the other two.

Remove ads