• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DRAGON+ Now Available For Ratings

I must admit, I don't personally get some of the reactions to DRAGON+, the mobile app from WotC which launched in April. It's described as "...your official mobile source for all-things Dungeons & Dragons. This free app for iPhone or iPad has everything you want to know about D&D in one easy place. In addition to ongoing up-to-the minute news updates, every second month you’ll enjoy a new issue of Dragon+ showcasing what’s new in Dungeons & Dragons – from backstory and world information to discussions about what’s coming next with the creators and developers of your favorite D&D products." I think it does pretty much exactly what is says it'll do; it's not a content platform, it's one of those "brand news" apps which every company has these days. Perfectly normal. I think it's the name which is causing issues, because - being named after a magazine which published gaming content - people were disappointed that this wasn't that. I'm not personally interested in it, but I don't resent its existence. It's not really designed for folks who are up to date with the latest morsel or tweet from the D&D team.

I must admit, I don't personally get some of the reactions to DRAGON+, the mobile app from WotC which launched in April. It's described as "...your official mobile source for all-things Dungeons & Dragons. This free app for iPhone or iPad has everything you want to know about D&D in one easy place. In addition to ongoing up-to-the minute news updates, every second month you’ll enjoy a new issue of Dragon+ showcasing what’s new in Dungeons & Dragons – from backstory and world information to discussions about what’s coming next with the creators and developers of your favorite D&D products." I think it does pretty much exactly what is says it'll do; it's not a content platform, it's one of those "brand news" apps which every company has these days. Perfectly normal. I think it's the name which is causing issues, because - being named after a magazine which published gaming content - people were disappointed that this wasn't that. I'm not personally interested in it, but I don't resent its existence. It's not really designed for folks who are up to date with the latest morsel or tweet from the D&D team.

Anyhow, I know that many people disagree (some pretty strongly) with my take on the apps, so the first two issues are available on iOS and Android now, and both can be commented on and rated in the reviews section here on EN World. Enjoy! Feel free to rate each issue as it comes out, and leave comments.

Dragon+_01.png

Mercurius

Legend
Yes, it is the name - and the 40-year association that name. I agree that resentment might be a bit of an over-reaction, but it isn't a big mystery as to why many people seem to feel that way.

(Although, let's be honest - the nerdrage is probably mainly grognardrage...Kidz Theez Dayz probably don't care as much).

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
First, I can't really understand the target of this app. It's clearly not me personnaly, since I am pretty up to date with the table top game, and also with the computer stuff there is out there. The rest just don't interest me at all. But then, who is the target ?
You pretty much answered your question. The app is for people who aren't well informed about D&D. You know, people who aren't on ENworld, the D&D forums, Facebook, etc, but are interested in D&D. The app will get them info on up coming video games, novels, board games, minis... oh, and the occasional RPG book.

People will be able to get those ads on the bus, on the toilet, at home when "watching" TV, and WotC will get some info on those people who maybe do not take part in polls and playtests.

JmanTheDM

Explorer
I think Dragon+ is great and is exactly what the Brand Dungeons and Dragons needs (because D&D is no longer just about Tabletop gaming). It allows me, as someone who is peripherally tuned into other D&D related properties - like a CRPG, a MMO and D&D books, I can decide if those are interesting enough for me to purchase. I certainly will be purchasing Sword Coast mostly due to the writeups on Dragon+ (because I stopped visiting gaming websites years ago).

I find it sad that a person is so willing to nuke something new after only a single (or in this case 2) releases, because it "doesn't meet my extremely narrow and 30 year old interpretation of how I want content delivered to me".

Does everyone remember how bad ST:TNG was during its first season? Give Dragon+ some time... like maybe a year? and stop trying to compare Dragon+ to Dragon like trying to compare TNG to TOS...(or every other reboot ever done...)

Cheers,

J.

LapBandit

First Post
I think Dragon+ is great and is exactly what the Brand Dungeons and Dragons needs (because D&D is no longer just about Tabletop gaming). It allows me, as someone who is peripherally tuned into other D&D related properties - like a CRPG, a MMO and D&D books, I can decide if those are interesting enough for me to purchase. I certainly will be purchasing Sword Coast mostly due to the writeups on Dragon+ (because I stopped visiting gaming websites years ago).

I find it sad that a person is so willing to nuke something new after only a single (or in this case 2) releases, because it "doesn't meet my extremely narrow and 30 year old interpretation of how I want content delivered to me".

Does everyone remember how bad ST:TNG was during its first season? Give Dragon+ some time... like maybe a year? and stop trying to compare Dragon+ to Dragon like trying to compare TNG to TOS...(or every other reboot ever done...)

Cheers,

J.

Your post count (this being the 3rd) and measured call to be reasonable smack of working at WotC. WotC is pulling the classic bait and switch by naming it Dragon (40 years of great magazine content) and expecting those who loved the previous application under the same name to accept/like it.

EDIT: Yeah this guy likely works at WotC, read his posts.

Zaran

Adventurer
Eh, if you give away a free comic book and all it has is ads its not going to be very popular even if it is free. All the items in Dragon+ are things I would see in a Dragon Magazine but in addition to content to use in my games. Granted that would mean it would no longer be free. They should have called it Dragon-.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Your post count (this being the 3rd) and measured call to be reasonable smack of working at WotC.

Because.... only WotC is reasonable? Or something? If he gives his permission I can confirm one way or the other, but that aside -- let's drop the ad hominems, and address the post itself. Thanks!

I'd say measured calls to be reasonable don't smack of working at WotC. They smack of being measured and reasonable

Ashran

Explorer
but what free content can they give you for a video game, a book or a board game?

Cheers J,
(who CLEARLY works for WOTC - LOL)

For a book ? An interview of the author. A bonus chapter, or story with the protagonists of the novel, some stats of the villains or the important mcguffin... there are a lot of possiblities...

For a board game ? How about some side rules, or some different ways to play the board game...

For a video game, it's more tricky... I don't see a lot more than what they have offered so far.

JmanTheDM

Explorer
Because.... only WotC is reasonable? Or something? If he gives his permission I can confirm one way or the other, but that aside -- let's drop the ad hominems, and address the post itself. Thanks!

I'd say measured calls to be reasonable don't smack of working at WotC. They smack of being measured and reasonable

you have my permission

ZeshinX

Adventurer
If it's really just a long commercial I feel it's too much energy spent for about nothing, energy that would be better spent elsewhere, imho, like, maybe, working on new products to release and make money off, don't you think ?

I never underestimate the willingness to spend large volumes of money on marketing and advertising by anyone selling anything. I don't begrudge Dragon+ it's existence, but as others have said, using the Dragon name was a bad call.

Remove ads

Remove ads