• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DragonLance the DVD... Rated NC17?

Traycor

Explorer
So, they posted this still for the new Dragonlance DVD movie...

DL_20Still_201.jpg

Dark Psion

First Post
Someone needs to do a animated movie with 2d characters vs 3d characters, you know part Gladiator, part Lord of the Rings and part Heavy Metal.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Why are the Draconians in 3d and the other characters are 2d? Is that how this movie is animated? If so, that's an incredibly bad way to animate a film. Characters vs set is one thing, characters vs other characters is very hard for a viewer to watch if it's so obvious like that.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
THAT is a belt.
Upon which is a pouch full of spell components.
Those components, in turn, will be used to cast a spell.
A very powerful spell.
'Cause Raistlin just roxxorz that way, yo.

THAT is death, ready to happen.
More powerful than Mr. T's night elf mohawk
More arcane than Shatner's shaman
More prolific than Starbucks
THAT will readily kick arse and take names.

Really, don't you think that THAT is kinda juvenile? :lol:

And that's all I've got to say about THAT.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Oryan77 said:
Why are the Draconians in 3d and the other characters are 2d? Is that how this movie is animated? If so, that's an incredibly bad way to animate a film. Characters vs set is one thing, characters vs other characters is very hard for a viewer to watch if it's so obvious like that.

Yep, it's a mix of 2d and 3d animation. The recent Iron Man animated film had a cross of 2d and 3d animation, and it looked pretty good.

What the producers discovered is that the draconians looked really good in 3d, but the other characters didn't. They seemed best portrayed by 2d characters. In the end, they opted for a blend.

I highly recommend listening to the Dragonhearth and Dragonlance Canticle podcasts for more info.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Dragonhelm said:
What the producers discovered is that the draconians looked really good in 3d, but the other characters didn't. They seemed best portrayed by 2d characters. In the end, they opted for a blend.
Geez, that's surprising. It goes against everything I've learned as an animator myself. That alone is a good sign that the film will do poorly or "ok" at best. Audiences don't get attached about animated films that come off as poorly made. And having an eyesore that bad makes the film look poorly made.

Dang, I thought this was going to be higher end animation. I shouldn't judge much off 1 frame but the 3d animation looks old & clunky like work done 10 years ago and the 2d animation looks simple and plain as the stuff done in the early 80's. Wow. :(

The Levitator

First Post
Oryan77 said:
Dang, I thought this was going to be higher end animation. I shouldn't judge much off 1 frame but the 3d animation looks old & clunky like work done 10 years ago and the 2d animation looks simple and plain as the stuff done in the early 80's. Wow. :(

I have to completely agree here. I'm not even sure this rivals the original Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series! :confused:

Remove ads