Dresden Files done?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Brown Jenkin said:
Glad to see Blood Ties coming back. I like Gina Holden in that much better than in her Sci-Fi channel series (which will remain unnamed).
I think that's just the first season premiere on SPACE, that was already run in the US. I haven't heard anything on a second season.

How is Numb3rs sci-fi/fantasy genre television?

Dresden, Painkiller Jane, and Flash Gordon all suffer, I believe, from a "budget" look and feel to them. There's a certain lack of visual appeal (and more often than not, always seem to be filmed on overcast days), and without really, really good performances and stories to overcome this, to me they often seem doomed from the start in a competitive television market. Dresden was starting to rise above a bit for me in the last few episodes, but apparently not enough to overcome its flagging ratings.

Flash, however... when a story starts reaching for sci-fi cliches like the protagonist fighting with his double (and someone having to figure out which one to shoot) within just a few episodes... well, that's just a bad sign.

By contrast, Eureka has a better "look" to it, whether set design or camera work, great acting and interesting stories, plus a well developed sense of humor. This show is deservedly doing well.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
I think that's just the first season premiere on SPACE, that was already run in the US. I haven't heard anything on a second season.

Farther down the list it included Blood Ties (Lifetime) Oct 12 Season One Resumes. I had just figured that they had done a short season 10-12 episodes not that they were doing a split season. So in that I am glad it is resuming.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Brown Jenkin said:
You include Desperate Housewives but not Lost?

I inteded the list to be demonstrative, rather than exhaustive. And the list isn't mine - I took it from sftv.org. I missed DH on my edits - the list has a bunch of CSI variants I did take out.

As far as I'm aware, Lost hasn't announced its schedule for the season, so it isn't on the list.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Jamdin said:
The last I read was that Painkiller Jane will NOT be back for a second season.

I'm really not surprised by that. Recently, PKJ had one of those "flashbacks to other episodes" episodes that shows do when their budget is spent (reminded me of that godawful ST:TNG first season flashback episode where Riker was unconscious fighting for his life). And the last two episodes were filmed in one of those dirt cheap studios in Eastern Europe because non-Union Canada was still not cheap enough for them I guess. Judging by the poor acting of the extras, they must have been pulling the locals off the streets of Budapest and giving them parts.

Capellan

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
Recently, PKJ had one of those "flashbacks to other episodes" episodes that shows do when their budget is spent

These 'clip' shows are generally planned ahead to give the cast and crew a break, not because the show has unexpectedly run out of cash. Many long season (22+ episode) shows have one every year.

Blastin

First Post
I guess my problem is that I watch very little TV, maybe 2-3 hours a week at most. So it's kind of an investment for me to actually sit down and watch something. Because of that investment, it really irritates me when they don't let a show have a chance. Guess I'll just have another hour a week to invest on venting on message boards;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Abraxas said:
Bionic Woman (OMG!! that look terrible :mad: ) ?

I've seen an extended cut of the first episode, and I assure you it is better than you think.

For me, it's the new show I am most looking forward to next season.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Most recent sci-fi channel ratings that I know of:

1 ECW 1.7

2 Eureka 1.7

3 In the Spider's Web 1.0

4 Mega Snake 1.0

5 Ghost Hunters 0.9

6 Sasquatch 0.9

7 Ice Spiders 0.9

8 Flash Gordon 0.8

9 Marabunta 0.8

10 Earth vs. Spider 0.8

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 8/20/07 -- 8/26/07

I also know the season finale of Who Wants to be a Superhero? had a 0.9

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Capellan said:
These 'clip' shows are generally planned ahead to give the cast and crew a break, not because the show has unexpectedly run out of cash. Many long season (22+ episode) shows have one every year.

*shrugs* I've always heard those types of shows are usually done because they overspent on another episode for whatever reason (hopefully special FX!). So yeah, they aren't running out of cash, just trying to stay on budget. I'm sure there are many reasons why they do them.

Although I seriously doubt PKJ was concerned with the crew getting down time because they use non-union. :) Come to think of it, they probably did it so they could pack up and move production to Eastern Europe.

Abraxas

Explorer
Mistwell said:
I've seen an extended cut of the first episode, and I assure you it is better than you think.

For me, it's the new show I am most looking forward to next season.

Hmm, I doubt it. I realize that I only saw a trailer - but the number of "how are they going to explain that" instances in the trailer was bothersome. I have a bad feeling that the way they are going to explain the things that bothered me are going to bother me even more.

And of course its got Katee Sackhoff in the pilot which doesn't help.

Remove ads