Dresden Files done?

GlassJaw

Hero
Umbran said:
If it didn't get the ratings, it didn't get the ratings.

But if DF didn't get the ratings, I can't imagine anything on Sci-Fi getting ratings other than BG. If that's the case, it has less to do with the show itself and more with the network.

As Blastin mentioned, they are going to have a serious problem with BG ends. They need to take the time to develop a new flagship series rather than yanking something after one season and then putting out crap like Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon.

buzzard

First Post
Umbran said:
If it didn't get the ratings, it didn't get the ratings.

Yes, that is certainly true. A damned shame, but yes if nobody watches something, it doesn't matter if it is good or not.

buzzard

Wombat

First Post
Yeah, the show never really did get the ratings.

I blew away its core audience (the people who had supported the books) by altering things drastically, then the initial "pilot" (so badly edited) confused a lot more people. After that it never really caught fire.

For more information, read the announcement over at Jim Butcher's website:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/000209.php

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
GlassJaw said:
But if DF didn't get the ratings, I can't imagine anything on Sci-Fi getting ratings other than BG. If that's the case, it has less to do with the show itself and more with the network.

Well, they have Doctor Who, which I would expect to have good ratings. And I think "Eureka" was doing pretty well, too...

I am not sure I know what you mean, though. I don't know how much it has to do with the network, beyond having good lead-in and lead-out shows. Last I was told the statistics, over half of all new shows didn't make it into a second season. The TV world is extremely competetive. One simply has to balance production costs against the ratings and revenue - if the show isn't making it, it is going to die. Pure and simple.

I think there's major problems with adapting standing fictional works like a book series to TV - nobody really understands what the various segments of the audience will want to see, and the conlicting guesses make designing the show very difficult.

James Heard

Explorer
It probably doesn't help that the major networks are doing scifi in a major way this season. I'm just happy the Dresden Files showed me the way to the books, which are very good.

Elf Witch

First Post
Wombat said:
Yeah, the show never really did get the ratings.

I blew away its core audience (the people who had supported the books) by altering things drastically, then the initial "pilot" (so badly edited) confused a lot more people. After that it never really caught fire.

For more information, read the announcement over at Jim Butcher's website:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/000209.php

I was a little disappointed with the show at first but stuck with it and it grew on me, but I know three other people who was so turned off by the changes that they never gave it another chance.

Abraxas

Explorer
It probably doesn't help that the major networks are doing scifi in a major way this season.
What are the major networks doing, other than Heroes (yay!) and Bionic Woman (OMG!! that look terrible :mad: ) ??

Anyways - I'm disappointed - I have never read the books, so changes didn't affect me, and really liked the series. The funny thing is my mother (who happens to be in her 70's) really liked the Dresden Files.
I'm not surprised by the cancellation though - nothing I like on TV lasts more than 2 seasons - meanwhile lots of things I dislike immensely just won't go away...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Abraxas said:
What are the major networks doing, other than Heroes (yay!) and Bionic Woman (OMG!! that look terrible :mad: ) ??

Here's a selection of sci-fi stuff on this season, and when they're going to debut...
Code:
 Doctor Who (BBC America)            Sep  8  (Series Two BBC America Debut)
 Torchwood (BBC America)             Sep  8  (US Debut)
 Blood Ties (Space)                  Sep 14  (Space Debut)
 Chuck (NBC)                         Sep 24  (Series Debut)
 Heroes (NBC)                        Sep 24  (Season Two)
 Journeyman (NBC)                    Sep 24  (Series Debut)
 Reaper (The CW)                     Sep 25  (Series Debut)
 Bionic Woman (NBC)                  Sep 26  (Series Debut)
 Ghost Hunters (SciFi)               Sep 26  (Season 3 Resumes)
 Haunted (SciFI)                     Sep 26  (SciFi Debut)
 Smallville (The CW)                 Sep 27  (Season Seven)
 Ghost Whisperer (CBS)               Sep 28  (Season Three)
 Moonlight (CBS)                     Sep 28  (Series Debut)
 Numb3rs (CBS)                       Sep 28  (Season Three)
 Stargate Atlantis (SciFi)           Sep 28  (Season Four)
 Dexter (Showtime)                   Sep 30  (Season Two)
 Pushing Daisies (ABC)               Oct  3  (Series Debut)
 Supernatural (The CW)               Oct  4  (Season Three)
 Blood Ties (Lifetime)               Oct 12  (Season One Resumes)
 Sarah Jane Adventures (CBBC)        Fall    (Series Debut) 
 Sarah Connor Chronicles (FOX)       Jan     (Midseason - Series Debut)
 New Amsterdam (FOX)                 ???     (Midseason - Series Debut)
 Life on Mars (BBC America)          Jan     (Season Two)
 Afterlife (BBC America)             Mar     (Season Two)

Last edited:

Brown Jenkin

First Post
You include Desperate Housewives but not Lost?

Glad to see Blood Ties coming back. I like Gina Holden in that much better than in her Sci-Fi channel series (which will remain unnamed).

Remove ads