Drinking Problem

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nobody has brought alcohol to my table... like, ever? Nor has anyone smoked.

There's no smoking in my home, tobacco or otherwise, because smoke is a migraine trigger for my wife, and I just can't abide the smell, and don't have any desire for second-hand smoke.

I would not mind if someone wanted to have a beer. If someone wanted to have a six pack, or wanted to seriously imbibe hard liquor, I'd have to say no - that's not the game I'm trying to run.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No smoking or tobacco products of any kind in our house, but you’re free to take a smoke break at any time as long as you don’t leave butts on our property.

Drinking is allowed, so long as you’re generally still more playing the RPG than doing shots. Hell, we usually stock beer in the fridge and have a liquor cart that is a free-fire zone- everyone knows where we keep the hooch. And bringing your own is welcome, ESPECIALLY if you’re sharing. But do something stupid in game, and it doesn’t matter if you’re drunk: it stands. No drunk mulligans.*

We also expect players to be generally ready for their turn.

* Hmmm...The Drunk Mulligans would be a fun band name.

Mallus

Legend
Our gaming night has it's own official cocktail, the Palermo, or, if you want to use its proper name, the Black Manhattan.

2 parts bourbon or rye - I recommend Bulleit or Larceny for bourbon, Old Overholt Bonded for rye
1 part Amaro Averna
several dashes bitters - I like Miracle Mile Orange Bitters, but they're pretty spendy

Shake with ice, serve up.

(actually, we drink wine more than anything else - though cocktail nights can be memorable - or the exact opposite, as the case may be)

No one smokes anymore. And by 'anyone', I mean 'me'.

Last edited:

The Black Manhattan is possibly one of the finest cocktails out there. It’s just that good.

If you’re a fan of it, though, might I also recommend the Black Scottish Cyclops:

2 ounces Scotch
1 ounce Ramazzotti Amaro
4 dashes Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel–Aged Bitters

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
Add ice and stir well.
Strain into a rocks glass over two ice cubes.

Our gaming night has it's own official cocktail, the Palermo, or, if you want to use its proper name, the Black Manhattan.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
No, now that I'm living in a midwest suburb, I barely drink and none of my players do, at least during our Saturday games. I don't mind it and I'll occasionally have a beer, but (1) my home game runs from 10am to 6pm and (2) everyone but me has to drive here.

The FLGS I like has beer on tap and if I'm not driving I'll drink but that's usually for board game nights. If I'm driving, I won't drink, not even one beer. Too many drinking issues and impaired driving accidents and deaths among family and friends have made me Uber careful about that. Even if I go for work-related cocktail events, I'll use a driving service like Uber or Lyft, even though I almost never drink more than two drinks at a professional event.

Mallus

Legend
If you’re a fan of it, though, might I also recommend the Black Scottish Cyclops:

2 ounces Scotch
1 ounce Ramazzotti Amaro
4 dashes Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel–Aged Bitters

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
Add ice and stir well.
Strain into a rocks glass over two ice cubes.
This sounds intriguing! Thanks. What Scotch would you recommend?

I've got a bottle of Lagavulin 8 year unopened at home, but I was kinda saving that for Election Day evening, when I'm either going to celebrate or drink myself into a coma that hopefully lasts 2 years.

Besides, Lagavulin is probably too peaty to mix. Or is that the idea with this drink?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

2 parts bourbon or rye - I recommend Bulleit or Larceny for bourbon, Old Overholt Bonded for rye
1 part Amaro Averna
several dashes bitters - I like Miracle Mile Orange Bitters, but they're pretty spendy

Shake with ice, serve up.

(actually, we drink wine more than anything else - though cocktail nights can be memorably - or the exact opposite, as the case may be)

No one smokes anymore. And by 'anyone', I mean 'me'.
That looks good! I’ll have to give that one a try!

While I tend more towards liquors, wines and beers these days, cocktails hold a special place in my heart. Back in my college “daze”, they were actually my potent potables of choice, so much so that I earned a new nickname in my circle of friends:
[video=youtube;8C4TGGtPzBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4TGGtPzBU[/video]

Yaztromo

Explorer
Luckily we never even come closer to issues with alcohol during RPGs. We did have one or two beers during the games, occasionally, but drinks were typically mixed with pizza and nobody ever seemed to exceed.
Actually, I never thought this could be an issue. Thank you for flagging it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In the game I run we're pretty much drinkers* with a gaming problem. :) Of five people involved, only one ever has to drive - one walks, two live here, and one rides with the driver (they're a couple, and each week decide which one drives). So yeah, good times. :)

* - and eaters - the alternate name for my game has become "Feasts and Foodies", much to my chagrin

In games I play in I'll almost always have a drink or two but nothing excessive as I have to drive home.

None of our crew smokes.

And, we now even have two game-specific drinks:

The Paladin - a hot drink made up of about 2/3 ordinary 'black' tea and about 1/3 rum; increasing the ratio of rum is optional. This gets its name due to the inventor disliking Paladins - this way he can kill several in a night.
The Necromancer - a stripped-down Caesar in a beer mug - a double shot of vodka, a good dash of tabasco, worcester sauce until it's brown, then fill the glass with chilled clamato juice. Stop there. Do not add anything else: no salad, no bean, no lemon, no other decorations - and fer gawd's sake no ice! This gets its name because the drink is about blood red in colour.

Drinking is allowed, so long as you’re generally still more playing the RPG than doing shots. Hell, we usually stock beer in the fridge and have a liquor cart that is a free-fire zone- everyone knows where we keep the hooch. And bringing your own is welcome, ESPECIALLY if you’re sharing. But do something stupid in game, and it doesn’t matter if you’re drunk: it stands. No drunk mulligans.*

We also expect players to be generally ready for their turn.
Absolutely agreed, particularly the no drunk mulligans bit. :)

* Hmmm...The Drunk Mulligans would be a fun band name.
To my considerable shock, a quick google search finds no band using this name - grab it now! :)

Lanefan

Remove ads