Drinking Problem

Jhaelen

First Post
Because the participants had artificially diminished (and slowed) their ability to think of alternative courses of action, maybe.
Yep. It makes the railroad more tolerable because it's easier to just shut down your brain, lean back and simply enjoy the show. If I'd been sober, I'd probably been quite annoyed by not being able to affect the plot except in the predetermined way and might have thrown a fit.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I've played games where there's been alcohol at the table, either because we're already in a restaurant that serves it, or because someone brought a pack of something that we share. When it has been case #2, it's never been more than 2 drinks per person. Heavier drinking has occurred when it's been case #1, but not to the point of forgetting what we were doing, and we were either close to our homes or stayed long enough for the alcohol to wear off.

I used to be a much heavier drinker than I am now, though I still dip into heavy drinking once in a while.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
One question is do you want to play a game or have people at your table falling down drunk and acting ridiculous? Players might quickly get themselves killed, or instead of having a bar room fight, they players might decide to have their characters attack each other and think its funny! Would you like to have a game session like that?

Jhaelen

First Post
Players might quickly get themselves killed, or instead of having a bar room fight, they players might decide to have their characters attack each other and think its funny! Would you like to have a game session like that?
Players with such inclinations don't require alcohol to act that way. I've seen it often enough.
As I already said: In my experience it leads to more relaxed sessions. Also note that we're not talking about getting drunk drinking several bottles of wodka. It's just a few beers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One question is do you want to play a game or have people at your table falling down drunk and acting ridiculous? Players might quickly get themselves killed, or instead of having a bar room fight, they players might decide to have their characters attack each other and think its funny! Would you like to have a game session like that?

It’s not a binary choice between those two things.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One question is do you want to play a game or have people at your table falling down drunk and acting ridiculous? Players might quickly get themselves killed
Players get themselves killed? Or characters? Quite a big difference there...

or instead of having a bar room fight, they players might decide to have their characters attack each other and think its funny! Would you like to have a game session like that?
Hells yeah - bring it on! :)

Lan-"in-party firefights tend to become the stuff of legend, with the tales told and retold down the years whenever there's an audience"-efan

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
We generally have drinks during game night, and yes, it happens on occasion that someone, or several people, or the DM, gets a bit too drunk.

It's fine, we're there to have fun with each other.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Players get themselves killed? Or characters? Quite a big difference there...

Hells yeah - bring it on! :)

Lan-"in-party firefights tend to become the stuff of legend, with the tales told and retold down the years whenever there's an audience"-efan
I figured you'd figure out I meant the characters, I lost my internet connection right after I posted that and was unable to correct it

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The local game cafe serves beer: http://merlinsbeard.net/

Often I play at a tavern, there is one with an outside beer garden with picnic tables, tables, and chairs; a couple have outside areas like that, one is a brewery that has a game night. I have never found a downside in that, do not have to clean up after people, it's easy to add new people to the game, and I get to have a couple of pints. The worst part of it is that the pubs fill up fast on game nights, so in winter you can be sol on a table. I saw one woman bringing into Merlin's Beard a huge amount of Pathfinder stuff the other day, and I thought to myself "How long of a game are you going to play?" Then there was last night when I thought I had lost a d4 from my matching red & black set, except I found it in my messenger bag, what a relief. I think I only paid forty cents for it at GenCon at one of the chessex booths, but still it's part of a set.

Remove ads