Drinking Problem

Jhaelen

First Post
My HS Biology teacher explained one way to avoid hangovers: drink one can of beer early in the evening. The rest of the evening, refill it with water. If you drink more water than you drank beer, you will be fine in the morning.
In my experience that's also how you should drink wine: Alternate between drinking a glass of wine and one or two glasses of still water. Works like a charm for me even if I end up drinking a whole bottle of wine over the evening.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Yeesh. Coming back to this thread a few days later, it seems like we've halfway written a "geek's guide to drinking" recipe book. Actually...

OK. There isn't a book that officially has that title. It just seemed like something that would already exist.

Before I had to give up coffee, that was pretty much my favored preparation.

For coffee & booze, though, my money goes to the Krakatoa:

1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz apricot nectar
1/2 oz falernum
tsp coffee liqueur
1 1/2 oz gold Puerto Rican rum
1 1/2 oz Demerara rum
Dash of Angostura bitters
2 oz coffee
1 cup crushed ice

Blend everything except the coffee, up to 10 seconds [I generally just use a shaker, as I don't really care for blender drinks]. Pour unstrained into sniffer, float coffee.

One coffee mix I drink with relative regularity is a Café Oscar: black coffee with a shot of coffee liqueur and a shot of amaretto.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Tea & spirits? The only ones I’ve had were a Long Island Iced Tea and an Icepick.

The Icepick is surprisingly dangerous: it’s unsweetened tea with vodka; it tastes like unsweetened tea.

One coffee mix I drink with relative regularity is a Café Oscar: black coffee with a shot of coffee liqueur and a shot of amaretto.

The first time I tried a Long Island at a restaurant, the menu didn't explain it didn't actually have tea, they used cola and only called it that because of the coloration - I was quite disappointed. I only later discovered the -actual- tea version was just an ill-oft used variant. The lessons of a 21 year old exploring his shiny new legality of alcohol I suppose.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeesh. Coming back to this thread a few days later, it seems like we've halfway written a "geek's guide to drinking" recipe book. Actually...

OK. There isn't a book that officially has that title. It just seemed like something that would already exist.
Buncha drunken hobbits... *grumble*

On my list of Ralif-approved nerdy cocktails

-The Severus Snape
-The Draco Malfoy (essentially a dirty martini with pickle juice instead of olive, but it’s so good)
-Blackbeard’s Ghost
-Dragon’s Breath
-The Cersei Lannister
-The Necromancer
-Dwarven Swamp Whiskey
-The Hobbit
-Hades
-The Promised Prince
-The Zombie (I have my favorite recipes, though there are over a dozen different takes on this one)
-The Wizard
-The Weathered Axe
-The Gauntlet (from the Witcher III; it’s supposed to be equal parts White Gull and Vodka; I had to make this one up myself, but it’s a good one, if I do say so)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just making one up here...The JRRT:

Juniper berry spirit (gin)
Rum
Rye Whiskey
Tonic Water.

Drink too many of these, and you’ll need your wise friend Sam to help you on a journey through more doors before you can start calling *Saaaauuurrrronnnnn* through ”a ring”.

Sadras

Legend
DD&D, I'm not sure which order is best.

Dungeons, Dragons & Drinks
Dungeons, Drinks & Dragons
Drinks, Dungeons & Dragons
Drinks, Dragons & Dungeons
Dragons, Drinks & Dungeons
Dragons, Dungeons & Drinks

There is a poem in there somewhere...

Mallus

Legend
Just making one up here...The JRRT:

Juniper berry spirit (gin)
Rum
Rye Whiskey
Tonic Water.
That's like if you broke into someone's house and poured the contents of their liquor cabinet into a glass.

So a Staten Island Iced Tea!

(No offense to the fine peoples of Staten Island... especially the Wu-Tang Clan. Wu-Tang ain't nothin' to... well, you know the rest.)

Remove ads