Drow Rogue Experimental Build: opinions anyone?

Harleau

First Post
I think you missed the point of Low Slash. It's a minor action. :)

Hahaha. I totally missed that! That is epic, I must admit. I just never think that attack encounter powers can be minor actions.

But my defenses are probably going to be kind of squishy. I would enjoy the extra damage as a minor action, but being hidden just seems to do more for this build. Though, what are your opinions on it?

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Rogues have tons of utility powers to hide. Heck, I believe there's a drow feat that lets you use your cloud of darkness twice per encounter for 4 full rounds of invisibility. For that matter, you could take Feytouched armor, which has an encounter power that turns you invisible for 2 rounds as a standard action. (Then you can stab as a minor action. :))

What rogues don't get is loads of multi-attack powers to make sure that they get their sneak attack every round. If you at-willify Low Slash, you'll be able to make up to 3 attacks per round. For bonus points, Low Slash is also vs Reflex and you can get two stat bonuses to damage.

I hope this helps!
-blarg

Harleau

First Post
Rogues have tons of utility powers to hide. Heck, I believe there's a drow feat that lets you use your cloud of darkness twice per encounter for 4 full rounds of invisibility.

What rogues don't get is loads of multi-attack powers to make sure that they get their sneak attack every round.

I think that the Drow feat that you're referring to is Darkness Reign. It lets you sustain the darkness as a standard action.

By multi-attack powers, do mean area bursts?

blargney the second

I actually meant Lolth Blessed - that's the feat that lets you regain Lolthtouched with an action point. But I like how you think... Darkness Reign + at-will Low Slash = nasty.

Multi-attack powers let you attack more than once, ideally with the potential to direct them against the same target. Twin Strike, for example, and Dread Fang's encounter power is also a multi-attack power, if I recall correctly.

Woah, I just thought of a fun combo: hybrid rogue|ranger. With at-will Low Slash and Twin Strike, you could attack 4 times per round and stand a very good chance of getting both sneak attack and quarry damage every round. :D

Harleau

First Post
I actually meant Lolth Blessed - that's the feat that lets you regain Lolthtouched with an action point. But I like how you think... Darkness Reign + at-will Low Slash = nasty.

Multi-attack powers let you attack more than once, ideally with the potential to direct them against the same target. Twin Strike, for example, and Dread Fang's encounter power is also a multi-attack power, if I recall correctly.

Woah, I just thought of a fun combo: hybrid rogue|ranger. With at-will Low Slash and Twin Strike, you could attack 4 times per round and stand a very good chance of getting both sneak attack and quarry damage every round. :D

That sounds like a awesome idea! I'm going to play around with it a bit!

And the Dread Fang class attack is a 2W attack, but it says that it targets 1 or 2 creatures. Does this mean that the 2W is split between 2 creatures?

Since you've been such an awesome help :cool:, would you be willing to answer a couple more question for me? I have a Blade of the Eldritch Knight Broadsword. This sword gives me reach 5 on melee attacks. Epic, right (My DM equated it to being a Final Fantasy sword, haha)? So, on opportunity attacks, does my reach 5 mean that my threatened squares are 5 spaces from me or right next to me still? I understand that an enemy needs to leave a threatened square into a non-threatened one. Do you have any strategies for a rogue with reach like this?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

blargney the second

Fang and Web Strike gives you two attacks that you can distribute between one or two targets. Each attack that hits does 2[W] damage. So if you hit with both you'll do 4[W] total (plus all your other damage bonuses).

The wording on that Eldritch Knight weapon is odd. I think it means that your powers that have the weapon, melee, and standard action keywords gain reach 5. It definitely won't give you threatening reach, so your opportunity attacks are still only melee 1 (ie adjacent squares).

As a rogue, that will be useful for you only if you're able to get combat advantage at range. That can be tricky, but hopefully by epic you'll have lots of abilities for that. Just out of curiosity, have you considered taking a vorpal broadsword? With the sheer number of dice you'll be rolling, you could do some ridonculous damage. :)

Harleau

First Post
Fang and Web Strike gives you two attacks that you can distribute between one or two targets. Each attack that hits does 2[W] damage. So if you hit with both you'll do 4[W] total (plus all your other damage bonuses).

The wording on that Eldritch Knight weapon is odd. I think it means that your powers that have the weapon, melee, and standard action keywords gain reach 5. It definitely won't give you threatening reach, so your opportunity attacks are still only melee 1 (ie adjacent squares).

As a rogue, that will be useful for you only if you're able to get combat advantage at range. That can be tricky, but hopefully by epic you'll have lots of abilities for that. Just out of curiosity, have you considered taking a vorpal broadsword? With the sheer number of dice you'll be rolling, you could do some ridonculous damage. :)

So, here are my thoughts on that...

1. Given what have just told me about the broadsword's range, a vorpal weapon sounds like a very good idea. Plus, I can take the burst 2 off of my cloud of shadows. I can add another feat instead.

2) A vorpal weapon sounds like it works best with a lot of smaller dice, so a Scythe might be the best bet (2d4 damage), I think. Maybe with something of d6 dice. Are there any feats that you can think of that will let me use a scythe or some heavy blade that I can use as a light blade that has small dice(i.e. like versatile dualist)? Or should I just forgo the heavy blades?

3) Redonculous damage indeed!

Last edited:

Harleau

First Post
Thanks a lot! Much appreciated! (Only Request: try to incorporate sneak attack as best as you can!)

Update: After tinkering with it myself, I've determined that a homebrewed class may be in order. I'm starting work on a Reaper class. But anything you can work together, I'd be very intrigued to see it.

Last edited:

Remove ads