• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drunkeness IRL: Is it a diversion for you or a need?

Oh well, I tried.

But please tell me you like bratwurst. The 1/4 German in me would cry if you didn't...

I used to not like it. Now I do. But then, I didn't like Pizza until my teenage years, too.

But don't believe I like Sauerkraut. ;)

Pbartender said:
I think describing your approach to drinking as "north German" might be a little to ... optimistic on Northern Germany. ;) But I really have no idea how alcohol problems are distributed around Germany. I tend to think that the controlled, non-excessive approach is better. But my real point is not the amount of alcohol but the way you have fun and react to people - if you don't open yourself up most of the time, and are prude, uptight and cold most of the time, with only a few "proscribed" outbursts per year, this just can't be good.

Pbartender

First Post
I think describing your approach to drinking as "north German" might be a little to ... optimistic on Northern Germany. ;)

Well, let me put is this way...

The way I tend to drink greatly resembles the way you describe how Northern Germans tend to drink. That doesn't mean North Germans can't be drunkards -- :lol: -- but it is a style of drinking that is well suited to my own personality, and has helped keep me from becoming an alcoholic like much of the rest of my family.

Well, let me put is this way...

The way I tend to drink greatly resembles the way you describe how Northern Germans tend to drink. That doesn't mean North Germans can't be drunkards -- :lol: -- but it is a style of drinking that is well suited to my own personality, and has helped keep me from becoming an alcoholic like much of the rest of my family.

But beware the east frisian saying:
I just noted, the song I remembered was not from the comedian I thought it was (thought: Otto Waalkes; is: Mike Krüger - though Mike is also from Northern Germany), but Otto used a similar text in his movie "Otto - Der Außerfriesische". ;)
German: Im Buch der Friesen steht geschrieben: Der Friese trinkt wenig, aber dafür oft, und dann viel
English: It is written in the book of the East Frisian people: The East Frisian drinks little, but then often and much.
;)

Ginnel

Explorer
I used to not like it. Now I do. But then, I didn't like Pizza until my teenage years, too.
Heh I didn't like pizza till I was around 16 ;)

Living in Birmingham now we have the biggest German Market outside of Germany & Austria here every year around Christmas (Nov13th Dec24th this year) Bratwurst is good but pricey. It comes in from Frankfurt apparently.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Living in Birmingham now we have the biggest German Market outside of Germany & Austria here every year around Christmas (Nov13th Dec24th this year) Bratwurst is good but pricey. It comes in from Frankfurt apparently.
There's one in Manchester as well, so I reckon they also have these booths looking like small shacks? Furthermore, since this topic is about alcohol... tried the Glühwein there? (I think this should totally go into the hive now...)

Cheers, LT.

Switchblade

First Post
Two reasons, it can help me unwind and loosen up but mostly because I like the taste. If there is nothing I like the taste of in a pub then I won't drink, drinking for the sake of it just leads down a slippery path. I also see getting drunk not as the goal but as an unfortunate side effect. So though I am probably one of the heaviest drinker in the house (not something to be proud of) I have been asked several times by my housemates if I am tetotal because I don't come staggering back blind drunk after binge drinking on the weekend unlike some of them and spread it out over the week.

Strangely when first asked if I was teetotal I had just come back from Threshers and was carrying several 4 bottles of ale, the second time I had an open bottle of London Pride in my hand, got to admire those observation skills.:)

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I've never been drunk, and don't drink very often. The one time I did deliberately take public transport to and from a party in case I did drink enough to be smashed, I didn't drink enough . . . so, I don't know. I guess it just doesn't excite me, the thought of being drunk. What I do drink, I drink because I like the taste.

I rarely drink and when I do its where I will stay for the night and never at excess.

The reasons...

Current issue of being diabetic (four beers and the sugar/carbs make me drousy)

Growing up I was witness to alcohol caused accidents. Something about empty beer cans floating like boats in puddles of blood never has escaped my memory.

So drink as you will but NEVER DWI folks.... NEVER.

Remove ads