Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
It also utilizes Zocchi dice. All of them. Including the d5, d7 and d24. - Goodman Games

The only thing that troubles me about the extra dice is that only one company* makes those specialty dice, and it might be a limiting factor for some who want to play the game if they can't get those dice easily. If this was a boxed set RPG I could see including the specialty dice inside and this being less of a problem, but it's listed as a hardcover.

*albeit Zocchi, probably the best dice maker there is out there.

Remathilis

Legend
Meh.

I used to love Goodman, and its "back to the dungeon" feel. This, however, leaves me cold.

I had hoped from its initial reading that it would a C&C styled "D&D but simplified/Old School" game. That said, it would kinda compatible; at minimum with 3e. (A 3e without skills, feats, or elven paladins, but a 3e nonetheless). When I read it had no intention of keeping the classic six ability scores (Luck is a score) nor traditional fire-and-forget casting, it fell from "Possible Pathfinder replacement" to "Yet Another Fantasy Heartbreaker".

Seriously Goodman; swallow your pride and release OGL-compatible modules again. The 4e thing isn't working out for you, and making your own D&D clone is just going to put you behind the curve in a world with Hackmaster, D&D 4e, and Pathfinder (as well as dozens of free retros) have got a good lock on the former 3e marketplace.

Remathilis

Legend
Just curious. Did they ever say that 4e wasn't working out well? I don't typically keep up too much with 3PP

I recall a year back Goodman soliciting input about whether they should remain 4e, go back to 3e, do OSRIC, or try something new. The conjecture I draw from this is that 4e sales weren't strong enough, and they were unsure where to go next. If 4e sales had been strong, I don't think they would've asked questions like this...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'll certainly check it out during the free beta, but if I were to remove skills and feats from 3E/Pathfinder, well, I'd rather simply go back to a retro clone.

The skills and feats are what keeps me *playing* 3.5/Pathfinder. I love 'em!

Remove ads