Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Li Shenron

Legend
Having dropped his torch, Aeiyan draws one of his Light Hammers and rushes into the room, leaping over the top of the prone figure of Bartleby, and whirls around as far into the room as he can get. From there, he throws the hammer at whichever hobgoblin he has a better view of. [same attack stats as already posted (if that works?)]

[OoC: I let you use your first attack roll results. If we had been playing at a table, you wouldn't have needed to reroll the attack, just the damage.]

Aeiyan tumbles into the inner cave and quickly strikes one of the two hobgoblin spearmen who staggers with pain for a second.

Note: the two hobgoblins will now be able to take an opportunity attack if you move away from them (out of their reach) far into the room! Are you sure you want to do this? If you only go a little bit past them, but stay within their melee reach, there's no OA triggered.

If I'm adjacent to him, I first haul him back from the bottle-neck so as to give him cover from the spear-carrying goblins (max drag weight in the 700lbs range with 14 Str; page 4 of "How to Play" implies that dragging less than your maximum drag weight doesn't affect your move, but I find that hard to believe! I'll leave to you as to how far I can pull him), then cast Cure Wounds ("On your feet, slacker!").

If I'm not adjacent, I use my move action to get adjacent, then cast the Cure Wounds

I'm not sure if dragging a comrade is significant enough that it should cost you an action, but at least if you drag him away from the hobgoblins' reach I guess you (but not him) would also be subject to opportunity attacks... so I think you'd better heal him on the spot!

In any case, Bartleby is back to full health!

...but...

In the midst of action, you hear a growling voice coming out from behind the corner at the end of the room, and a larger hobgoblin wearing chain mail armor and a giant-skull as helm rushes in, and charges against Sulannus with a massive, feather-decorated longspear.

As he makes the charge, the other three hobgoblins still standing seem to gain more confidence in his presence. It clearly appears that this new foe is their leader and commander, and looks faster and stronger. Despite the power of his charge or perhaps thanks to Sulannus' natural grace, he only manages to scathe the elven wizard (2 points of damage).

New recap of Initiative order:

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19
Hobgoblins 13
Aeiyan 10
Rejik
Hobgoblin Chief 8
Tock 7 << you are here

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Aeiyan tumbles into the inner cave and quickly strikes one of the two hobgoblin spearmen who staggers with pain for a second.

Note: the two hobgoblins will now be able to take an opportunity attack if you move away from them (out of their reach) far into the room! Are you sure you want to do this? If you only go a little bit past them, but stay within their melee reach, there's no OA triggered.

Distances? It might not make a difference.
Aeiyan jumped down 5 feet (let's say) from the boulder, advanced some 10 to 15 feet to the narrowing between the outer cave and the inner room; that's 15 to 20 feet of his movement right there. Then another 5 feet inside puts him on top of Bartleby and parallel with the hobgoblin spearmen. That's 20 to 25 feet of his movement, and he only has 10 to 15 left. If he goes 10 feet past Bartleby, he's still in reach of the longspears (right?). I'm not sure he can get past their reach this turn.

Anyway, yes: let's leave Aeiyan within the reach of the hobgoblin longspearmen. . . .

Li Shenron

Legend
Distances? It might not make a difference.

[OoC: no, exact distances and positions shouldn't matter when playing without a battlemat, unless some important case comes up. I just wasn't sure when I read "whirls around as far into the room as he can get" if you had something in mind for next turn that made you want to go past the hobgoblins as far as possible]

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm not sure if dragging a comrade is significant enough that it should cost you an action, but at least if you drag him away from the hobgoblins' reach I guess you (but not him) would also be subject to opportunity attacks... so I think you'd better heal him on the spot!
Sounds good to me, boss! :)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Ah. The only things I had in mind for Aeiyan there were: (1) not to stop in Bartleby's location, on account of not being a healer; and (2) to use a ranged hammer attack, while leaving the way clear for both Rejik and Tock to enter the room and maneuver -- and for Sulannus to retreat if necessary. (That is, I was trying to get Aeiyan cleanly through the choke point, and out of the way of the rest of the party.)

For next round, he is likely to tend toward either close quarters melee or else another arrow, depending on which way things go. (Aeiyan still has his bow in his left hand.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
(round 6, after Tock goes)

The tingling courses through Bartleby's body. There is a crack coming from within his body, as he feels his skin stretch around the injuries. The slight smell of ozone emerges, and he seems barely aware of Rejik's voice.

Rejik's god has healed him, for reasons Bartleby does not understand.

I don't even know its name, he thinks to himself.

Re-invigorated by this act of healing, Bartleby stands, and recognizes one of the spearmen that continues to surround him. He steps closer to one, and with an upward swing of his scimitar catches the hobgoblin on the jaw.

OOC: 1d20+4=23. Woo. I assume a hit, and so damage is 1d6+3=5.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I don't even know its name, he thinks to himself.
OOC: You do now! Vraith, lord of the dauntless warrior, although it's entirely possible Rejik has never actually mentioned him by name.

I updated my original character description but don't seem to be able to update the group PC page. Here's what I added:

Vraith, lord of the dauntless warrior, is the god of spent anger, avenged wrongs, and exhausted rage. Among his people, great deeds mean nothing unless they bring you to the very edge of your skills, to the line between what you know and what you don't. As a follower of Vraith, you should never surrender, never stop, never give up the chase. It's with this spirit of tenacity that his people, so long besieged by the great barbarian tribes of the cold plains, survived as long as they did, although since their fall, Rejik's relationship with his god has taken a turn for the ironic. Vraith has yet to show any disapproval with his follower's flippancy.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . .
I updated my original character description but don't seem to be able to update the group PC page. . . .

[OOC: On the group page, in the "PLAYER CHARACTERS" thread, I copied my PC's information and pasted it as a reply; then I edited the reply to include Aeiyan's attack formulas for use at InvisibleCastle. "Try Copy/Paste, it's super-effective." :cool: (An "Edit" link appears at the top of posts that you have made.)]

Li Shenron

Legend
I updated my original character description but don't seem to be able to update the group PC page.

[OoC: That's because it's not a wiki, but a simple discussion page, so only the person who adds a reply to the discussion can edit it, just like in the forums. If you copy-paste your PC into a new reply to that discussion, I will remove it from my previous posts. For some reasons, I wasn't able to create real wiki pages for our group, only discussions :erm: ]

Remove ads