• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
The blur of activity in the cavern is lost on Tock as he struggles to free his impaled halberd from his foe's torso. Planting one foot firmly on the Hobgoblin's now lifeless corpse, he pulls his weapon free, a brief spatter of blood staining his armour.

Looking ahead, he sees his companions have engaged the foe deeper into the tunnel and rushes to their assistance. Charging forward into the cavern he takes up a position next to Aeiyan, giving his companion a brief nod of acknowledgement as he does so before taking a swing at the wounded spearman.

Halberd attack 1d20 +4, damage 1d10+3: attack 9, damage 4 (ah crap...)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4353284/

With his attack easily swatted aside by his foe and spotting the chieftain joining the fray, Tock calls out over the chaos and noise of the melee, "Mayhaps we may have been over hasty in our engagement of the foe?". His usual calm and level voice is audibly tinged with a touch of panic.

[OOC: Move and attack (or move and charge) against the wounded Hob with spear, hoping I can match their reach with my halberd. Keeping next to Aeiyan so I can use Protection if Aeiyan is attacked, or on myself if Aeiyan isn't targeted. I assume my terrible attack roll was a miss...?]

Li Shenron

Legend
Round 6 summary:

Bartleby's strike has dropped one of the two hobgoblin spearmen unconscious!

Everyone is now in melee against the last hobgoblin spearmen at the entrance of the inner cave, except Sulannus who is in melee with both the last archer (who is wounded and has now switched to spear too) and the hobgoblin chieftain.

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19 << you are here
Hobgoblins 13
Aeiyan 10
Rejik
Hobgoblin Chief 8
Tock 7

wedgeski

Adventurer
[OoC: That's because it's not a wiki, but a simple discussion page, so only the person who adds a reply to the discussion can edit it, just like in the forums. If you copy-paste your PC into a new reply to that discussion, I will remove it from my previous posts. For some reasons, I wasn't able to create real wiki pages for our group, only discussions :erm: ]
Yup, will-do when I've got a few mins. I didn't realise that was a simple discussion thread, I assumed it was something else. :)

Shayuri

First Post
As the flames die down from Sulannus' spell, her expression is not one of triumph, but of aghast horror. Dying by fire is ugly, and it's clear from her reaction she's never seen it happen before. The difference between lobbing ice cantrips and burning three beings down where they stand...just a few feet in front of you...has never been clear for her, until now.

It's therefore pure luck, or perhaps some of those fabled elven reflexes, that saves her hide as the giant Chieftain appears. She stumbles back, away from her handiwork, and the mace just grazes her; bruising instead of smashing.

It's too much, too fast. Terrified by this monster, who seems like a demon of vengeance come to smite her for her atrocity, Sulannus shrieks and scurries back towards the comfort of...well, if not friends, then allies at least. Retainers. Warm bodies who are not dying by her hand, or seeking to kill her. It's enough.

(OOC - She's getting outta there! A spearman gets to attack her. Don't worry, she'll get her head on straight once she's not toe to toe with the boss. :))

Li Shenron

Legend
Round 6 new summary:

As Sulannus rushes through the melee to get out of the room, the hobgoblin spearmen instinctively tries to strike her [OoC: opportunity attack], and then struggles to strike again, this time at Tock , but fumbles both attempts. In the meantime, the last hobgoblin archer, now charged by their chieftain's presence, also rushes into melee. She targets Bartleby with her spear, but the dwarf's armor saves him once again!

Now everyone is in melee with everyone, except Sulannus who is rushing out, back to the outer cave, and the hobgoblins chieftain [who acts later].

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19
Hobgoblins 13
Aeiyan 10 << you are here
Rejik
Hobgoblin Chief 8
Tock 7

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Seeing hobgoblins to the right of him and hobgoblins to the left of him, Aeiyan decides that it's not nice to be surrounded, so he draws another arrow, nocks it, and releases it in an attack at the remaining longspearman who had attacked Bartleby when he first entered the chamber (i.e. not the former archer).

Yarb! It's a CRIT: 24 tohit for max. damage of 8 + 3 = 11
Or wait: what are the CRIT rules in this latest iteration of the playtest?

The roll on Invisible Castle says this:
1d20+4;1d8+3 -> [20,4] = (24)
1d20+4;1d8+3 -> [3,3] = (6)

Link: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4358365/
BBCode 1d20+4=24, 1d8+3=6

Aeiyan drops his bow (no action) and draws his scimitar.
Turning to the hobgoblin boss, he says, "Adan, . . ." -- as though about to continue with further words; but then doesn't say any more. (The first word was meant simply as a distraction.)

[OOC Edit: OK, I looked up the Crit rules -- it seems that the ordinary damage is maximized, then one similar damage die is rolled (not maximized). To me that seems like 8+3 for 11 ordinary damage, plus another d8; and since the d8 already rolled shows damage of 3, let's use that: 11+3 = 14 total damage. (OK?)]

[OOC Edit Edit: Replaced the English "Dude" with Sindarin "Adan."]

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Rejik steps calmly aside as Sulannus shrieks past, takes in a quick view of Tock and Aeiyan side-by-side ahead of him, and then jumps, snarling, at the hobgoblin spearman, batting its weapon aside and swinging his warhammer at its stinking face.

OOC: Rejik Round 6

If possible, move so as to end up between the hobgoblin spearman (there's only one left, is that correct?) and Sulannus' retreat.

I'm assuming the creature has used its reaction this turn and so can't OA me.

Warhammer melee 1H attack at +3: 1d20+3=11 (balls)

Li Shenron

Legend
To me that seems like 8+3 for 11 ordinary damage, plus another d8; and since the d8 already rolled shows damage of 3, let's use that: 11+3 = 14 total damage. (OK?)

[OoC: Yes, I think that's the right result! Max damage + one additional weapon damage die rolled]

I'm assuming the creature has used its reaction this turn and so can't OA me.

Warhammer melee 1H attack at +3: 1d20+3=11 (balls)

[OoC: no OA against you, actually the spearmen is dead so I assumed you would attack the archer since she's also in melee and is the last one, except the chieftain. Either way, the attack roll would be a miss.]

Round 6 continuation:

In the heat of the battle, Aeiyan sees just the right opening in one of the hobgoblins defense, and shoots an arrow right into his throat... the spearman staggers silently for a second before collapsing dead on the spot.

The hobgoblin chieftain boldly advances towards the melee, "To death with honor!" he utters as he raises his massive longspear and swings it against the intruders! The longspear strikes both Aeiyan and Rejik, hitting the first in the flank [6 dmg] but only clanging loudly against the shield of the second.

Bartleby 19
Sulannus 19 (-2 dmg from full HP)
Hobgoblins 13 (1 left, slightly wounded)
Aeiyan 10 (-6 dmg from full HP)
Rejik
Hobgoblin Chief 8
Tock 7 << you are here

Remove ads