Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Shayuri

First Post
(Not trained in investigation, but I'll give it a whirl :))

Sulannus takes a look around as well...pushing at drapes, pulling lightly at sconces and the like. She ends up at the locked door. "Hmm," she says.

[roll0]

Then the conclusion of her investigation: "Just hit it until it breaks."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Before we do that," Bartleby says, "I'll ask again if there's not a more nuanced way to get this done. A wizard's spell or cantrip that might let Sulannus turn the key?"

Shayuri

First Post
"I can't see the key," Sulannus sighs. "Without some way to see it, I can't cast a spell on it. Besides, the door would block the magic. There's spells that specifically open doors and things, but I don't have them in my book. There's nothing I can do right now, except tell you to hit it until it breaks."

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"So it seems we are in agreement - we break down the door."

Ever lacking in subtlety, Tock takes a few steps back and prepares to charge, shoulder first, into the door...

[OOC: Is there room for two of us to try side by side? How would this be resolved - a STR check each, or one combined check?]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[OOC: As I see it, the "Help" action might be useful. If it is, Aeiyan can start a half-step behind Tock and run into his back at the same time as Tock charges the door -- since Aeiyan has a Speed of 35 compared to Tock's 30, they might arrive there at the same time. (Or is that right?) If "Help" applies, it gives Advantage to the check. (Or is that right?)]

[OOC: "What the heck. . . ."]

Aeiyan positions himself behind Tock and says, "Together, then! Ready? Go!" When the warforged charges the door, Aeiyan charges too, aiming for about shoulder-high on Tock's back.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[OOC: As I see it, the "Help" action might be useful. If it is, Aeiyan can start a half-step behind Tock and run into his back at the same time as Tock charges the door -- since Aeiyan has a Speed of 35 compared to Tock's 30, they might arrive there at the same time. (Or is that right?) If "Help" applies, it gives Advantage to the check. (Or is that right?)]

OOC: That's my reading too, tuxgeo.

Aeiyan positions himself behind Tock and says, "Together, then! Ready? Go!" When the warforged charges the door, Aeiyan charges too, aiming for about shoulder-high on Tock's back.

IC:

Bartleby positions them where he thinks they should each start, giving advice and telling them to use their shoulders when they run.

(Casting guidance; take +1d4 on the roll).

Li Shenron

Legend
[OOC: Is there room for two of us to try side by side? How would this be resolved - a STR check each, or one combined check?]

Two maximum.

Yes, you can use the Help action.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[OOC: Not sure if Aeiyan is making a STR check to break down the door: he's "helping" Tock do it, to give Tock advantage.

If a roll is needed, here it is:
1d20+2 -> [11,2] = (13)
Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4599227/
BBCode 1d20+2=13
. . . end /OOC]

[EDIT: I did that wrong: I was supposed to add 1d4 for Bartleby's Guidance, wasn't I?
1d4 -> [2] = (2)
Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4599233/
BBCode 1d4=2

With Bartleby's Guidance added in, Aeiyan's STR check to help Tock at the door is 13+2 = 15.]

[EDIT-EDIT: Or was Bartleby supposed to do one single Guidance roll for both Aeiyan and Tock, and tell us what number to use? Now I'm getting confused.]

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
[EDIT-EDIT: Or was Bartleby supposed to do one single Guidance roll for both Aeiyan and Tock, and tell us what number to use? Now I'm getting confused.]

Technically, I think the main PC attempting the action (Tock) makes the roll, while the helping PC doesn't roll but provides advantage.

The d4 from Guidance is not that clear in case of advantage/disadvantage. My guess is that you first roll 2 dice, keep the highest if advantage or the lowest if disadvantage, and then add d4 (the spell says you can choose to add it before or after, but I'm not sure what's the point of adding it before...) This is the most convenient way for the characters.

I am ok if you want to roll instead of Tock and keep the current result... but in general it's more convenient to let the PC with highest bonus roll, since the helper's stat doesn't count when granting advantage.

Remove ads