D&D 5E DungeonScape (formerly known as Morningstar)

Ricochet

Explorer
Anyone knows how soon after release it will be available on the Kindle Fire? (Considering Amazon runs its own store not associated with Goggle Play).

If it's an Android app, you can simply sideload the app. Here's one of numerous articles about it (it's not too complicated, basically install it on a phone, back it up, and restore it onto the Kindle Fire. Alternatively, use a management program like ES File Explorer.. Transfer the install file over, run it on your Kindle Fire, and you're set).

http://www.howtogeek.com/178357/how-to-sideload-apps-onto-your-kindle-fire/

My current 5e game is online. I use Obsidian Portal and Roll20. Would creations in DungeonScape be shareable, as say jpgs or pdfs, outside the DS app?

Great question and unfortunately, I don't have a completely concrete answer. Content created in DungeonScape can be shared with any of your friends or party members from within the App. As far as ways to export to jpgs or pdfs, the exact implementation of that is still in the works.

Sounding better and better Hobo. Out of curiosity, will there be any options for how character data is output in the initial or later releases? Will it be the standard 5e character sheet? I'm thinking about some of my newer players who started with 4e and would respond well to a similar format to the 4e ddi characters, ie power cards as a reminder of what actions they have to chose from.

Good luck with the project.

Hiya! And thanks :) For right now, DungeonScape is 5e exclusive. That being said, we're hoping for that to open up in the future to be more inclusive of other editions, 3rd party content etc. Sorry for the wishy washy answer - we're waiting to see what is possible in our partnership with Wizards moving forward.

Thanks for coming here to talk to us, Hobo. That assurance almost sells me on it (even if I never get around to running 5e).

The only hint of fly in the ointment is this, from your FAQ:

"At the moment, we’re only slating offline play for tablets (iOS and Android). We’ll be looking at solutions for PC/Web based on demand and how it fits with our other priorities."

I understand making mobile devices a priority but laptops are mobile, too. A native OS X version would absolutely seal the deal for me but I'd probably pass if my only option was web-based.

It's my pleasure - E.N. World is one of the best places on the internet...truly :) The technology is not limiting - we can really do whatever we want with it. If we have enough demand and interest in making an OS X native version of DungeonScape moving forward, we will absolutely be all over that. I understand your hesitations and appreciate you sharing how you feel about it!

drjones

Explorer
Hiya! And thanks :) For right now, DungeonScape is 5e exclusive. That being said, we're hoping for that to open up in the future to be more inclusive of other editions, 3rd party content etc. Sorry for the wishy washy answer - we're waiting to see what is possible in our partnership with Wizards moving forward.

Thanks for the reply, I was not thinking of 4E support so much as 4E style formatting for the 5E character sheet. Such as if I make a Wizard can I generate a PDF/paper copy of that guy using the 5E PHB character sheet only or could I instead get a 'card' for each spell they know or activated class ability? I know it's something we can do ourselves on paper easy enough but I have some casual players who would have an easier time managing their characters in that format. Maybe the in-app sheet will obviate the need, dunno without having seen it.

Say I'm running the DMs version or Forge version on my laptop at the table, while my players - or some of them - hav ethe Player version on their smartphone.

I've bought the Dungeonscape version of an adventure. We know that it will be easy to call up an image and show it to the players. So far so good, but handing around a laptop or asking the players to come behind the screen isn't my idea of easy or elegant.

Can I push the image the the players' devices as well? If that's the case I may be tempted to completely virtualize a D&D game.

Great question. You can message/push some text, a picture, a map to all of your players or to one player granted you are connected to the internet. Does that answer your question?

rastus_burne

First Post
It's my pleasure - E.N. World is one of the best places on the internet...truly :) The technology is not limiting - we can really do whatever we want with it. If we have enough demand and interest in making an OS X native version of DungeonScape moving forward, we will absolutely be all over that. I understand your hesitations and appreciate you sharing how you feel about it!
Definitely OS X please. I don't own any windows-based products. That's a big slice of the market not to include. I'd love to run it off my macbook pro. ;)

Thanks for the reply, I was not thinking of 4E support so much as 4E style formatting for the 5E character sheet. Such as if I make a Wizard can I generate a PDF/paper copy of that guy using the 5E PHB character sheet only or could I instead get a 'card' for each spell they know or activated class ability? I know it's something we can do ourselves on paper easy enough but I have some casual players who would have an easier time managing their characters in that format. Maybe the in-app sheet will obviate the need, dunno without having seen it.

Gotcha. That is a cool idea. Once you get access to the beta, poke around and see if what we've already got laid out works. If not, be sure to throw this idea into the feedback forums. I think it sounds cool.

Remove ads