• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynamic Excel "Wiesbaden Charactersheet" D&D (v1.11)

I am still having problems with the issues that I posted before. Expanded Spellbook, Arcane Initiate Feat, and the Arcana Skill. None work the way they should. Expanded Spellbook never becomes available with the Arcane Initiate feat, Arcane Initiate feat does not add the Arcane skill, no at-will is selectable on the feats page so it doesn't get added to the sheet anywhere. I have v1.09 and these still don't work. Is there a possibility that using Excel for Mac is my problem? I hope not.

On top of that, I had an idea. Is there the possibility to allow GMs to easily modify the game elements like the names of feats, classes, races, weapons, religions, home region list, etc., as well as easily add in new versions of all of these things. Considering how much D&D is house ruled, it seems like any sheet that is aiming at the title of Ulitmate Sheet should alow for campaign specific variation. Adding in some easy database editing functions would send this little app over the top.

Anyway, great job. This sheet is by far the best I have seen. I was working on another for a while, but you guys have eclipsed all that we were doing there. My Excel-Fu is not nearly as good as yours, and while this sheet is editable as it is, you guys know the gears better than I do, so if you want to get to my suggestions before I do, that would be fantastic.

warderbrad

Explorer
PrecociousApprentice said:
I am still having problems with the issues that I posted before. Expanded Spellbook, Arcane Initiate Feat, and the Arcana Skill. None work the way they should. Expanded Spellbook never becomes available with the Arcane Initiate feat, Arcane Initiate feat does not add the Arcane skill, no at-will is selectable on the feats page so it doesn't get added to the sheet anywhere. I have v1.09 and these still don't work. Is there a possibility that using Excel for Mac is my problem? I hope not.
I have heard that Excel for mac is as buggy when it comes to involved workbooks. I do not have a mac available to me to test it, I know that these things do work the way they should on a PC. It could be a function that is not in the excel for mac or something but without the hardware and such to test I cannot say.

PrecociousApprentice said:
On top of that, I had an idea. Is there the possibility to allow GMs to easily modify the game elements like the names of feats, classes, races, weapons, religions, home region list, etc., as well as easily add in new versions of all of these things. Considering how much D&D is house ruled, it seems like any sheet that is aiming at the title of Ulitmate Sheet should alow for campaign specific variation. Adding in some easy database editing functions would send this little app over the top.
I know from working on the Heroforge project for 3.0 and 3.5 custom data entry or customizing data is one thing that everyone loves, and it would be nice to have it be easier. However it is a bigger job than most realize. It was given up on the Heroforge project (other than a custom race tab and a custom class tab which would let you make one custom race and one custom class), the real problem is that it is rarely just data but also formulas that have to change and as such it is more involved than a simple app. This seems to be even more true with the concept for 4.0 in that everything is exception based so that means that all formulas have to be if option a is chosen then do this otherwise to that. Being able to rename may not be so bad (other than some formulas which look for the name of the feat would not work right) but putting in custom data could be very tricky. I wish you the best of luck in trying to build something like that, I know professional excel programmers gave up on it.

Thasmodious

First Post
I was re-entering a 1st level wizard on 1.09 and noticed that the attack bonus sections wouldn't account for the proficiency bonus for dagger. It wouldn't enter the bonus for quarterstaff either, so I assume this is a problem with the wizard proficiencies.

Cryptos

First Post
Thank you! This is great.

Only two issues I've noticed so far:

:1: On the second page of the character sheet in the racial features box, it will show the Halfling racial bonus to saves vs. fear as +4. It's +5 in the PHB.

:2: Also on the second page of the character sheet in the racial features box, on a Dragonborn with Lightning and Constitution as the ability for Dragon Breath, it says: "Your Breathweapon deals Lightning damage. Attack rolls are based on your . You determin your damage with your Constitution." There's a few typos there and it doesn't fill in the ability for attack rolls.

And it would be nice to have an override on race names (while still entering the racial features) at some point in the future. Some homebrew campaigns change some of the dopier names from the PHB races.

Last edited:

warderbrad

Explorer
Cryptos said:
Thank you! This is great.

Only two issues I've noticed so far:

:1: On the second page of the character sheet in the racial features box, it will show the Halfling racial bonus to saves vs. fear as +4. It's +5 in the PHB.

:2: Also on the second page of the character sheet in the racial features box, on a Dragonborn with Lightning and Constitution as the ability for Dragon Breath, it says: "Your Breathweapon deals Lightning damage. Attack rolls are based on your . You determin your damage with your Constitution." There's a few typos there and it doesn't fill in the ability for attack rolls.

And it would be nice to have an override on race names (while still entering the racial features) at some point in the future. Some homebrew campaigns change some of the dopier names from the PHB races.

Ok I have fixed those issues and sent them in to be included in the next version, I also have added a custom field for Race which will allow you to rename the race, I can't say I have it replacing all fluff text fields but the race name on the sheet is done as well as the dragonborn/drow racial power field on the same tab as the basic data is affected.

Last edited:

I have a cosmetic suggestion: The column for selected skills says "trained" which is should say "chosen" or something like that, the way it is for feats. It's easy to look and think you forgot to pick it when in fact you selected it when you chose a skill-training or multiclassing feat. I recommend a bolder and more consistent way of indicating trained skills and feats regardless of source (chosen, free-with-class, etc.). Not sure the best way to do this but I'm sure you guys can think of something if you agree.

Looking forward to more fabulousness!

I feel kind of ignorant of the right way to enter armor, weapons, attack bonuses, etc. and was wondering if anyone has done a fairly complete level 1 character (preferably a martial one; I'm trying with a warlord) they could post so I can see how people do the Armor & Equipment and Armor tabs, and how that properly affects the character sheet tabs. I am also wondering if it's intentional that armor and shield are entered twice on the Armor & Equipment tab (under armor & shild and under equipment) as opposed to one looking it up from the other.

Thanks.

warderbrad

Explorer
Magus Coeruleus said:
I have a cosmetic suggestion: The column for selected skills says "trained" which is should say "chosen" or something like that, the way it is for feats. It's easy to look and think you forgot to pick it when in fact you selected it when you chose a skill-training or multiclassing feat. I recommend a bolder and more consistent way of indicating trained skills and feats regardless of source (chosen, free-with-class, etc.). Not sure the best way to do this but I'm sure you guys can think of something if you agree.

Looking forward to more fabulousness!

I may be misunderstanding you but I think you are looking at the column to the left of where you put the X to select a skill, if so then the skills that say Trained are not ones you have chosen but they are ones that are automatically given you by your class or by a feat (Arcane Initiate and Arcane for example). I hope that helps reduce confusion.

Remove ads