E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
A minor patch to the fighter would be a general feat that can be used to purchase two feats from the fighter list. Make Fighter 6 a prerequisite.

As far as xp goes, I think that 300 * CR2 / level would be better than 300 * CR.

Ry

Explorer
Cheiromancer said:
As far as xp goes, I think that 300 * CR2 / level would be better than 300 * CR.

I already corrected that in the rtf, giving a feats:CR ratio of 5:1 for the first 20 feats, followed by 10:1 (although the DM has the option of treating the 10:1 period as just staying at CR 10).

joela

First Post
Fighters and my two copper pieces

rycanada said:
E6 play is over a long period: The fighter will have 5 feats to other characters' 3 if the prices were to change like that. THe fighter would have 25 when the others had 15. By my estimate, that's a difference in CR of at least 1.5, and probably more like 2. That goes too far to fix a problem that I think is pretty minor to begin with.

Unlike, apparently, the bulk of DnD players out there, I don't play fighter, preferring magic-users. Thus, take the following suggestion with a grain of salt:

Why not double the number of feats a fighter can take from levels 1-6? That way, they'll have access to all those tactical feats at an earlier level plus maintain their "feat" schick after 6th level that everyone's so concerned about. :uhoh:

Ry

Explorer
My favorite suggestion so far is 1 feat per level for the fighter, but as I said, I'm not implementing it because the problem isn't big enough to merit tripping my players up with low-level rules changes.

E6, Drama rules, and No Alignment easily fills a whole page of house rules. The players don't want to read how I fixed the fighter, rebalanced the dwarf, toned down the cleric, and finally gave the Orc Wizard/Paladin build the boost it needs. That way lies madness. Developers have done lots of my work for me already; I'll just tackle the big stuff and let the rest stand.

DogBackward

First Post
The point is that fighters become even more pointless with E6. Early on, you get some cool feats and such, which almost makes up for all of the unique abilities and class features that other classes get. After 6th level, though, everybody else is taking all the same feats that you have, since there are only so many to take, and you get so many. Very soon, the fighter's bonus feats become completely outstripped by the bonus feats that everybody gets after 6th level.

There's no real reason to play a fighter unless you're just dipping, or you know the game won't get far past that 6th level mark. Which is alright, I guess, as there are plenty of fighter-like classes that can take the primary melee place. But I was just trying to make a way to keep the fighter while making it still viable to play.

Alright, how about this: every 2500xp, a 6th level fighter can trade a single feat he has for any other feat he meets the prerequisites for. You can't trade away a feat that is a requirement for another feat you have, however.

This allows the fighter an extra bit of versatility, allowing them to remove feats that are useless later on. And, if they hear early on about an enemy, then gain some xp on teh way to fight them, they can "retrain" to better combat that particular foe when they get there.

Edit: Crosspost. I see your point, I guess. I'll just use that in my own E6 game, then. Once I get it running...

Last edited:

DogBackward

First Post
Sure, no problem. However, I don't have a tabletop group anymore, so I play over RPoL. Forum-based gaming goes pretty slowly, so it may be a while before I can get back to you.

Ry

Explorer
You should check out some local meetups; I was really surprised at how cool the people at my local meetup were, and I went from 1 game every 6 months to about 1 a week practically overnight.

DogBackward

First Post
Yeah, I found one meetup in my area, but... well, they weren't all that inviting, really. I'm pretty much stuck online. It's better, though, in certian ways. it's slow, but you tend to get a lot more roleplaying out of your characters, because people have more time to think out their actions, and what their characters would do. As opposed to tabletop, where most people just do the first thing that comes to mind, which is what they would do. Also, posts tend to be a lot more descriptive, and nobody's worried about wounding stupid in front of their friends.

It's a little harder to run heavy combat, but I don't use grids and such anyway. Overall, it's a lot more conducive to roleplaying. I'd still like a nice, fast-paced tabletop game, but I can deal with the RPoL stuff for now.

joela

First Post
Every odd number

joela said:
Why not double the number of feats a fighter can take from levels 1-6? That way, they'll have access to all those tactical feats at an earlier level plus maintain their "feat" schick after 6th level that everyone's so concerned about. :uhoh:

Another option is to allow fighters to get two feats instead of one every odd 5k xp; i.e., two feats at 5k xp; 15k; 25k; etc. This prevents the fighter from being more front-loaded in terms of feats compared to the other classes and discourages any form of dipping from CL's 1-6 while maintaining one of the fighter's major forte, which are numerous feats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads