Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

tleilaxu

First Post
for the glossary:
Rhyxali: A demon?

from dictionary.com (a great site)
Chthonic: Of or relating to the underworld.

From Greek khthonios: of the earth

grodog

Hero
Soneillon?

Is there a RL mythic tradition that makes Soneillon a succubus and demonic Queen of Harlots?

I ask because my old DM from Penn State and I have used her as such (we jointly developed our Abyssal rulers, and he created her), but in Gustav Davidson's _Dictionary of Angels_, Sonneillon (Sonnillon) is

an angel, now fallen, once of the order of thrones. He is cited as one of 3 "devils" that possessed the body of the notorious 16th-century nun, Sister Louise Capeau (or Capelle).

Gygax's later New Infinities Gord novels don't include references to Soneillon (though info from the NIPI Gord books often found its way into the various D&D demons published during the 1980s and early 1990s). Soneillon is listed in the 1e MM2 on page 35 among the "Rulers of the Abyss," where she's designated as a female and lady of a layer rather than a full princess.

So, my question is, does anyone else know of a history that links Soneillon with succubi and harlots?

tleilaxu

First Post
she has an entry in the glossary as a succubus who once had a thing with graz'zt and now they're fighting over a jungle part of the abyss...

edit: doh... that wasn't what you were asking...

Last edited:

she has an entry in the glossary as a succubus who once had a thing with graz'zt and now they're fighting over a jungle part of the abyss...

If you read part of the storyhour where Shomei describes the different worlds, she mentions said succubus...

Gez

First Post
Greybar said:
Nooo. My wife apparently threw away the old word-of-day. Ah well, should have snagged it.

Ontic Flux - so if such a being is flickering in and out of existence, this might be fun to consider when divination is used. If you attempt to scry for Soneillion, do you need to check to see whether she exists at the moment the spell takes effect?

John

If you looked up at the link I just masterfully hidden in the "chthonic" word just above (and there again), you would had gotten this:

Word of the Day for Thursday May 27, 1999
chthonic (THONE-ik), adjective:
dwelling in or under the earth; also, pertaining to the underworld

"Driven by dæmonic, chthonic Powers." --T.S. Eliot

"The chthonic divinity was essentially a god of the regions under the earth; at first of the dark home of the seed, later on of the still darker home of the dead." --C. F. Keary

"The chthonic imagery of Norine's apartment, which..was black as a coalhole and heated by the furnace of the hostess' unslaked desires." --M. McCarthy

"Two great and contrasted forms of ritual: the Olympian and the Chthonic, the one a ritual of cheerful character, the other a ritual of gloom, and fostering superstition."

Chthonic comes from khthón, the Greek word for earth.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, my question is, does anyone else know of a history that links Soneillon with succubi and harlots?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on this?

As far as I know the 'RL' Soneillon is linked with hatred (as one of the seven deadly sins) and is a male demon - it was only in the 1e MMII that she was listed as female.

Interesting that you also had her pegged as a kind of uber-succubus, though - I'd had the same role assigned to her in a campaign I was running 12 years ago, or so. I wonder if she was mentioned in an old Dragon mag or something?

shilsen

Adventurer
Sepulchrave II said:

As far as I know the 'RL' Soneillon is linked with hatred (as one of the seven deadly sins) and is a male demon - it was only in the 1e MMII that she was listed as female.

Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but I think that's the way he's usually portrayed in medieval and renaissance literature. Sonneillon (double "n") was originally one of the Thrones in heaven before he fell with Satan. He retained a position in the Infernal Hierarchy, and was usually connected with engendering hatred in people, often through possession (his name comes up in the famous possession of a nun called Louise Capeau). As for Grodog's question, I can't think of a connection with succubi or harlots.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Bing assoicated with the nun possession would do well to connect him with harlets and whores; a nun being the exact opposite in most minds--regardless of whether or not it's true.

Remove ads