• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Easy questions I think

Tellerve

First, on a critical are striker's extra dice maxed or rolled?

Second, if you have resist 5 poison and something hits you that does ongoing 5 poison plus and effect (save ends both) are you still affected by the "plus whatever" effect even though you aren't taking any damage?

Sorry if these are super easy questions that have been answered a hundred times before.

Ryujin

Legend
Any dice that you would normally get on an attack (Warlock's Curse, Hunter's Quarry, etc.) are maxed. Dice that are conditional upon getting a critical (magic weapon, Devastating Critical, etc.) are rolled.

I would be interested in hearing the second. My gut tells me that you still receive the additional effect.

DracoSuave

First Post
First, on a critical are striker's extra dice maxed or rolled?

All rolled damage is maximised on a critical except for bonus damage garnered from the critical itself.

Second, if you have resist 5 poison and something hits you that does ongoing 5 poison plus and effect (save ends both) are you still affected by the "plus whatever" effect even though you aren't taking any damage?

Resistance only applies to damage. Reducing damage to zero does nothing to other parts of an effect. So yes, you do get the 'plus whatever' effect.

Notice however: Immunity is different. If the 'ongoing poison 5 + whatever' was the result of a power with the Poison keyword, and you had immunity to poison, then the 'plus whatever' would be a Poison effect and you would be immune to it. As well, a dwarf would get his +5 to saving throws against it.

Engilbrand

First Post
Maybe I missed it, but does something with Vulnerability take extra damage from Ongoing effects?
A creature with Vuln 5 Radiant takes 5 Ongoing Radiant damage. Does it take 10 Radiant Damage at the beginning of its turn?

DracoSuave

First Post
Maybe I missed it, but does something with Vulnerability take extra damage from Ongoing effects?
A creature with Vuln 5 Radiant takes 5 Ongoing Radiant damage. Does it take 10 Radiant Damage at the beginning of its turn?

-Very- good question.

The rules for 'vulnerable' are in the Monster Manual.

It says: When an attack deals damage of the specified type, this monster takes the indicated amount of extra damage of the same type.

Ongoing damage is not an attack. So no, the monster does not take additional damage.

Resistance is different, it does not mention attacks at all.

Dalzig

First Post

Yes. Otherwise, what would be the point of typed ongoing damage? ;)

Tellerve

Yes. Otherwise, what would be the point of typed ongoing damage? ;)

I agree, I'd still have the vulnerable creature take the extra damage. If something is burning from ongoing fire, and it really is vulnerable to fire, then well, it should take the extra damage.

Onto another perhaps easy question I just remembered. At what point do you do the vulnerable for something that is insubstantial? If someone hits a wraith with a radiant power for 10 damage, do you add say the vulnerable 5 to make 15 and then half it and round down to 7. Or do you take half of the 10, to 5 and then add the vulnerable to 10 damage?

Tellerve

-Very- good question.

The rules for 'vulnerable' are in the Monster Manual.

It says: When an attack deals damage of the specified type, this monster takes the indicated amount of extra damage of the same type.

Ongoing damage is not an attack. So no, the monster does not take additional damage.

Resistance is different, it does not mention attacks at all.

But the ongoing damage was the result and is wrapped up as the whole of an attack, that happens to continue to damage from round to round. The reason the creature is having ongoing damage is because of an attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads