Eberron: Forging Fury [Full and Live]

Kerrz

First Post
That statement was entirely true. I got back to my place at school, and my landlord had disconnected my jury-rigged internet connection. It took him almost two weeks to get the proper connection up, but from here on out I should be live. I'll probably railroad you guys into Rekkenmark where you'll meet Primus' character. Hope you don't mind.

Bront

The man with the probe
Kerrz said:
The ONLY reason I'm letting you get away with the 70/70 deal is because you rolled 20 on d20+7. I was about to have Therius walk away out of spite, but then I made a roll... and we'll go with the dice. However, keep that in mind. I am not going to give you free money. There is no reason in the world either of those players should have been carrying around 190gp, and if you were humanoid races, I probably would have knocked the first person who mentioned looting them (Agarndas) down to evil. Since you're warforged, I'll let alot of the morality issues slide, but keep in mind that just because YOU don't think something is vile and evil, does not mean that EVERYONE ELSE thinks the same thing.

This doesn't need any more discussion, as it has wasted enough time already, but I wanted you guys to know WHY I was wasting time bartering. You have 190gp worth of free money, not treasure, not looted items -- free money that a "good" party of folks would not have looted. The world will balance itself out.
I disagree with the looting, though what would likely have happened is any personal or sentimental belongings would have stayed with the bodies (which was suggested anyway I believe). But, especialy in this day and age, there is no reason to say "I won't touch those items because they belonged to my dead companion". I know, that almost all of my good characters would prefer his companions gain something from his misfortunate death, especialy because perhaps they could use it to survive themselves.

Anyway, I do understand wanting to take away a little of the gold and such, and we've been using it as a party fund to accomplish the goal our two dead companions agreed was worth while, so I don't see the evil in such an act myself.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents.

Kerrz

First Post
Game Balance.

I keep making up excuses, but the short and simple of it is Game Balance.

Those characters should not have had 190gp just sitting around, and you won't receive 190gp for killing two zombies. The money will disappear.

If any more players stop posting, the same thing will happen with their non-critical items.

Looting NPCs is one thing. Looting players is bad form. That's like stealing from your party members. It's cool if you want to... but you're going to have to pay the consequences.

Bront

The man with the probe
I understand the game balance issues of allowing for a few extra resources (though, that's realy only a big issue at this low level), but you mentioned that it was an evil act.

However, it's a simple adjustment to tweak, and it's not like we've done much with the gear up till now, and the money's going towards the end goal. I guess I just don't see it as that big of a deal, but, you're the GM, so however you want to roll with it :)

Of course, having the players wander off elsewhere means we don't get their gear, and they're still alive if they show up again later with a good reason for droping.

Ringmereth

First Post
For what it's worth, I agree with Bront. Not looting deceased party members is like someone writing a will requesting that all their worldly posessions be put in a pile and incinerated. It could happen, but a good-aligned character would much rather his companions take his stuff along, to be put to good use and perhaps one day be given back to him should he be raised, than have it sit in a pile, waiting for scavengers or looters to steal them.

As for game balance, 190 gp between 4 1st-level characters isn't a big deal. While giving us a few extra expenses isn't unreasonable, doing them for the express purpose of getting rid of said wealth in a blunt manner is rather forceful, and, IMO, damages the suspension of disbelief.

It's not a huge deal, but a lot of DMs have a mentality that characters taking useful items from their deceased companions is some horrible act, when in reality it'd be rather unrealistic for it not to happen in most groups, and, at these levels, doesn't really impact game balance too much.

Kerrz

First Post
Yeah. I might have gone overboard with the evil act thing. If I were running an exalted game, then yes, I would have docked some folks for not sending them off like vikings with all of their possessions into a fiery ship. I'm not running an exalted game.

You guys have to remember. This is my first time DMing a PbP game. My second game DMed at all. I'm just ecstatic that we still have posters. I just have to learn from my mistakes and go on with them.

Had I never made any OOC comments, and just demanded that ridiculous price from you guys, then it would have just been the will of the DM. But I undermined my own authority by speaking out. I'll try to avoid making the same mistake again.

I still stand by my decision to take the money from you. I would do it again, though probably more subtly. ie- thief in the night.

As for the wander idea... No. I like killing characters. Better not stop posting or you're next! :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Hehe.

I'm generaly more a proponent of the GM and the players working togeather to create the story, so I tend as a GM to be forgiving, and perhaps a bit overgenerous (though, I'm fairly rough in combat to make up for it).

Just go with the flow, and as a player and a GM, it will make the experience more enjoyable :)

Remove ads