• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: The End?

Storminator

First Post
Despite running Eberron a few times, and it being my favorite setting, I rarely read those articles. I just don't need a lot more material than I've got, and there's so many different facets of Eberron that they rarely touch the things I'm doing in my campaign. I like Keith's work in general, and I like to see him working, so in that respect I'm sad.

Klaus

First Post
Despite all the support it got, Eberron still had largely underdeveloped regions. Aside from the Five Nations, all other nations of Khorvaire could use more detailing. Specially Darguun, since goblinoid PCs aren't out of place in Eberron.

Storminator

First Post
Despite all the support it got, Eberron still had largely underdeveloped regions. Aside from the Five Nations, all other nations of Khorvaire could use more detailing. Specially Darguun, since goblinoid PCs aren't out of place in Eberron.

Which is fantastic. :D There's enough detail to get a campaign going without stifling. I have a crappy wiki book here about my Goblins of Eberron campaign. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showwiki.php?title=Books:Goblins+of+Eberron

PS

Ahnehnois

First Post
Meh. Support can be a curse as well as a blessing (just ask an FR fan about 4e). Eberron was published. It has its books and its fans. Doesn't really matter if it gets carried forward.

SuperZero

First Post
It's still nice to have the mechanics of the material converted. Not all of us can or want to do it ourselves, especially when we're still getting used to how the new system works.

And new players. Those 3.5E books are nice, but does somebody who doesn't play it want to find and buy them for setting information when the game mechanical information isn't valid? Of course, the opposite is also true--does somebody who already has the 3.5 or 4E books want to buy new books when they already have the setting information they want? Sometimes, but not always.
I bought one 4E Eberron book. I would've bought more if I'd been a new player, but I already had most of what I needed in my older books.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Seems par for the course. Some settings get more love in certain editions, while others, not so much.

However, I think something that really needs some good attention is a good world building kit (or book, or whatever you want to call it). Sure, many of us here know how to build a world or campaign, but what about all the new DMs that WotC wants to bring in with their new edition? It would be really nice for them, or even those who are trying their hand and just need some help, to be able to have a really good kit that would help them with the process.

Riposte

First Post
I can't complain about what I got, but I kind of wish we saw:

-A book looking at the "Monster" nations of Khorvaire. Or maybe something along the lines of "everything outside the five nations"
-1-2 more "city" books on the quality of Sharn's. Thaolist could have been real good.
-A book for campaigns set in alternate time periods or maybe one that based around different "what-ifs" after moving the setting 2-5 years up.
-A few more adventures to capture the setting's feel. This area always felt a little underdeveloped to me.

Glutinous, perhaps?

MarkB

Legend
One of the great things about Eberron in 3.5e was that it was, in the details, designed as being the logical outcome of the way D&D's rules would shape a world - so it felt like a comfortable place in which to adventure, not one whose fiction had to be stretched to accomodate the PCs.

I like that about it, and so I'd be quite happy to see it sit on the backburner for a year or two until Next is firmly established, so that it can be similarly shaped by the underlying assumptions of the Next ruleset.

Kaodi

Hero
I think the biggest thing we missed out on in Eberron may be details of the inhabitants of the seas and their kingdoms. To a certain extent Dungeon Masters need planes to be whatever works for their campaign. But underwater settings are somewhat niche, and thus more appropriate for specific details. As it is, the oceans of Eberron could be pretty much exactly like the oceans of every other D&D world for all we know. Other than the prominence of the aboleths, I do not think we ever really got much interesting even hinted at in that department.

Eberron got a tonne of support over two editions, it might be time for it to take the back seat and sit out 5e, letting other worlds shine.

And, unlike other editions, it doesn't change and remains at a static entry point so new versions of the campaign setting can do little but reiterate what has been said before.
It might be best served by PDF packets paired with a rules update in the magazines. A Dungeon article on dragonshards and technology and a Dragon article on the races and you have all you need to play.

Remove ads