• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: The End?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm a bit surprised. I thought it had its fans but evidently not enough.
I'm having a hard time seeing this as a slight against Eberron specifically. December was the last "Eye on Dark Sun" column too.

Several D&D Next columns and videos of panel discussions have intimated that the Forgotten Realms is, if not the default D&D Next setting, then certainly the one that they are focusing on initially. We also know there is a concrete plan to reboot the setting with the Sundering line of novels and adventures, so it isn't surprising that they are keeping up the online support for the Realms whilst dropping regular Dark Sun and Eberron support -- that's just where their focus is right now.

I think we'll probably still see sporadic support for other settings between now and the launch of D&D Next. WotC will also be getting some useful data from the PDFs sales as they make more campaign setting material from their back-catalog available. I reckon that'll also influence their decision on what setting specific articles to run in the online magazines.

DM Howard

Explorer
The interesting thing to me about Eberron is that I never felt like I needed more and more material for it. I bought most of the books at one point, but I didn't feel like I needed to like I did with the Forgotten Realms. Eberron always seemed a bit more logical in its approach than other settings and thus I could follow events to their logical conclusions without feeling like I needed to have input from more and more source books.

I hope WotC does put out at least a few books for Eberron, just to freshen up the setting, but I don't really want them to change much about it or progress the time line.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think it would be in the game's best interest if they introduced a new setting for Next that helps the new edition shine (like Eberron was for 3.5). They will keep FR because the brand sells stuff, but other than that, I think they should go new and give themselves new territory to explore without worrying about legacy issues.

Remove ads