Echo is damn good, like almost too good for Marvel

This is the first Marvel thing in a while that all of my friends who were burned out on Marvel seem to be checking out. Despite superhero fatigue, apparently, there is still an audience if the product looks like it is actually trying to be a good show or movie instead of just another entry on the franchise conveyor belt.

Clint_L

Hero
The first episode was much better than I expected. There was a TON of backstory, I guess on the assumption that the audience might not have seen Hawkeye. This is probably a necessary call, but in future I hope Marvel has learned their lesson so that series can stand on their own two feet. The fight with a special guest star was unexpected and that entire sequence was really well done. The story was grounded and the stakes felt meaningful.

Hard not to note some resemblance to Reservation Dogs, not just in setting and casting, but in recognizing that the stakes just have to be personal and rooted in character for them to matter to the audience; not every story has to have the world in peril.

It wasn't Reservation Dogs or Andor good, but definitely a promising start. My spouse even enjoyed it, and I had to really cajole them into watching it after foisting Secret Wars upon them last summer.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Tell us what you thought of it.

In some ways it doesn't feel like Disney Marvel.
I liked it. The third episode was weak and, as a personal preference (and not having any familiarity with Echo as a comic book character), I would have preferred the magic a little more subtle. But, apart from that, I thought it was solid and entertaining. Also, I very much appreciated that it was only tenuously connected to the larger MCU universe.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I liked it. The third episode was weak and, as a personal preference (and not having any familiarity with Echo as a comic book character), I would have preferred the magic a little more subtle. But, apart from that, I thought it was solid and entertaining. Also, I very much appreciated that it was only tenuously connected to the larger MCU universe.

From what I understand, the comic version has a very different power-set, being more like Taskmaster. That's sufficiently specialized they probably didn't want two MCU characters with it (though its probable besides the specific broader power, she has a personal one that may not be too far from that--after all, each of her ancestresses seemed to have a specific trick, too.)

Kaodi

Hero
I thought it was pretty good and solid overall. I wonder whether we will see more explanation of how Kingpin was affected.

Remove ads