Echo is damn good, like almost too good for Marvel

I haven’t seen the show but I have seen a viral clip of an action sequence. Can anyone weigh in on this as it looked kind of faltering in places and I am curious if this is not representative of the show as a whole (to my eyes it looked like the actors snd stunt people were very well trained but whoever shot it didn’t understand how to edit it together or reshoot to avoid things like actors pausing or slowing down in the middle of movements. It kind of looked like stunt team demo clips I get on Facebook martial arts groups: great physical performances but some always beats and bad shots because the filming is done by amateurs and the choreography isn’t tight

Stalker0

Legend
I've usually been pretty in sync with the zietgiest on most marvel movies but seem to be in the minority on this one. This is the first marvel TV I couldn't finish, I got to the middle of episode 3 and just stopped. I found it utterly boring, and very confusing as well which is a first for me for a marvel show. I may not like a given marvel product but I never really had trouble following it, but in echo I kept going "why are we here, what is that person doing, what is going on???!!"

MarkB

Legend
I haven’t seen the show but I have seen a viral clip of an action sequence. Can anyone weigh in on this as it looked kind of faltering in places and I am curious if this is not representative of the show as a whole (to my eyes it looked like the actors snd stunt people were very well trained but whoever shot it didn’t understand how to edit it together or reshoot to avoid things like actors pausing or slowing down in the middle of movements. It kind of looked like stunt team demo clips I get on Facebook martial arts groups: great physical performances but some always beats and bad shots because the filming is done by amateurs and the choreography isn’t tight
I found the action sequences mostly well done, but there was at least one instance (in the roller skate rink fight) of what you describe - there was, like, a half-second beat where the action paused as both participants seemed to wait for each other, then the mook made his move to be countered by the protagonist.

Argyle King

Legend
I haven't seen it yet.

Some of the previews look interesting. For me, it's difficult to be excited by one bright spot when it's connected by so many pieces that feel flat.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't think it was too bad, overall, but maybe not as tight as the corridor fights of "Daredevil", for example. I didn't notice a lot parrying of a blow that hasn't even been thrown yet, for example. Likewise the issue of stunt players moving like paused video game characters wasn't a big thing, like it is in so many action shows/movies. That said, I'd call it done like a good TV show, rather than like a good movie.

Clint_L

Hero
Second episode was not nearly as good as the first. The opening action sequence was hard to follow and not that exciting, with too many cliches. The rest of the episode felt like it was treading water. More Reservation Dog actors show up, which is appreciated, though kind of distracting, too. It was okay, but dampened my enthusiasm...and more importantly, my spouse's.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, I am not sure I dig Echo that much. But I dig the atmosphere, the native story, and the whole deafness thing was very interesting.
ALlo, what I also liked - the show suggested that the glowy light is a kind of healing magic, and I liked the idea of beating the villain by healing him*. Not sure that's really what happened, but at least it really unsettled Fisk, but not in the maniac-rage way things usually get to him.

*) A bit of a tangent here: I am a bit of a Brit Marling fanboy after experiencing The O.A., and I remember her talking about finding a way to tell a story about a strong female hero that's not just the story of the typical male action hero but with the gender flipped, but actually telling something else. I don't remember the details, but I think part of the OA story of the way she assembled her group, both to help herself and to also help each other, was an attempt at that. The OA was a strong female hero, but not in the action sense. Maybe Echo's story, or at least aspects of it, add another piece of the puzzle?
And, independet of her, that was also something I liked about the first Dr. Strange movie - no big hero spectacle fight where the villain and the protagonist beat each other until someone drops dead or something, but... well, a time travel trap.)

pukunui

Legend
the show suggested that the glowy light is a kind of healing magic, and I liked the idea of beating the villain by healing him*. Not sure that's really what happened, but at least it really unsettled Fisk, but not in the maniac-rage way things usually get to him.
Yeah, I liked that too. Maya got to be a kick-ass action hero but that’s not all she got to be.

As for what happened to Fisk, I think all Maya did was take away the trauma associated with his upbringing. She didn’t transform him into a good guy or anything. She just gave him some closure and that freaked him out. He probably has a big emotional hole inside him where his trauma used to be, and that will really unsettle him.

I may be reading too much into it, but I feel like maybe Maya’s healing of his trauma is what leads to him considering a run for NYC mayor. Like maybe he wouldn’t have considered it if he was still suffering from his childhood trauma.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, I liked that too. Maya got to be a kick-ass action hero but that’s not all she got to be.

As for what happened to Fisk, I think all Maya did was take away the trauma associated with his upbringing. She didn’t transform him into a good guy or anything. She just gave him some closure and that freaked him out. He probably has a big emotional hole inside him where his trauma used to be, and that will really unsettle him.

I may be reading too much into it, but I feel like maybe Maya’s healing of his trauma is what leads to him considering a run for NYC mayor. Like maybe he wouldn’t have considered it if he was still suffering from his childhood trauma.
Pretty much, yeah.

It did occur to me that the superpower Echo really should've learned that would've saved her a lot of trouble right from the start was the John Wick double-tap.

Remove ads