• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Editions

pawsplay

Hero
Why do people say 1e and 2e as if that is unambiguous?

First, there was OD&D.

Then there was AD&D, and AD&D 2e.

Also, around the same time, Basic D&D, then Basic D&D (red and blue), IIRC, and the expansions that comprise the Rules Cyclopedia.

D&D Third Edition seems to have been pulled out of a hat. I guess it was designed to appeal to AD&D fans, who could view it as a third edition, but it's also a third edition of Basic D&D. Or it could be a third edition of OD&D, then either AD&D or D&D.

But in any case, D&D 3e is not just another iteration of AD&D. It includes a number of Basic D&D isms, including max hit points at first level (optional rule from Basic GM guide), power attack (formerely known as Haymaker, high level fighter option), and so on. D&D 3e is a reinvisioning, drawing on many sources, including AD&D 1e, 2e, Powers and Skills, the Rules Cyclopedia, and other developments in the RPG world (such as Ars Magica, Talislanta 3e, and Rolemaster).

This message brought to you by the Friends of Saying AD&D2e.

Odhanan

Adventurer
1E means AD&D1e. 2E means AD&D2e.
All the editions of D&D have a particular name. OD&D. B/X edition. Rules Cyclopedia. Et cetera.

I guess fans of the game visiting regularly hobby message boards are just used to these denominations.

Contrarian

First Post
pawsplay said:
But in any case, D&D 3e is not just another iteration of AD&D. It includes a number of Basic D&D isms, including max hit points at first level (optional rule from Basic GM guide)

1E had that as an optional rule, too. It's in Unearthed Arcana.

This message brought to you by the Friends of Saying AD&D2e.

Grind that axe all you want; it's still not gonna chop anything.

tzor

First Post
Almost all edition discussions evolve around 2nd Edition AD&D. That's the first edition that had an edition number. 1st edition is the original AD&D. The previous edition was simply D&D and until attempts at revising the original edition this was simple enough as it was. When third edition dropped the "A" things got complex.

3E is clearly an evolution of AD&D, not OD&D. Many of the features are a direct result of problems with later sub-editions of 2E, especially the later development of the 2E kits. It is formula not table driven. Spells are unified across the classes. In some ways 2E is more similiar to 3E than 1 E was to 2E.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
pawsplay said:

Because there are substancial differences between Original and the various Basic Set itterations, and AD&D. For all practical purposes, the Basic Set stuff (eventually culminating in the Rules Cyclopedia) is a seperate game not connected to AD&D. Treating races as classes is the main point of difference; AD&D and AD&D 2E have this very major point in common, as does 3E. Thus 3E is much more the 'child' of AD&D than it is of the basic set/original line.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Contrarian said:
1E had that as an optional rule, too. It's in Unearthed Arcana.

Not quite. UA gave a minimum hit point total for 1st level characters, but not max. It was average before con bonuses, rounded down, I believe.

Crothian

First Post
pawsplay said:

Because most people know what they are talking about. There might be a lot of editions but most D&Ders know what we mean when they read 1e

Henry

Autoexreginated
In way, through their use, they've been MADE unambiguous through their use on message boards. Similar to how I use the term "Kleenex" and I've never been corrected to use "facial tissue", or "Band-aid" to mean "adhesive bandage." :)

diaglo

Adventurer
OD&D(1974)
1edADnD
2edD&D Holmes
3edD&D Holmes
4edD&D Moldvay
Cook Expert
5edD&D Mentzer along with X, C, M, and I
2edADnD
RC
2.5edADnD