• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Editions

pawsplay

Hero
Allandaros said:
No no, Hussar - that was everything leading up to 2e.

Seriously, why are we bashing/mocking/whatevering the various editions here? The base question's been answered already...

True. It's a convention, and I accept that. I find it a little illogical.

diaglo

Adventurer
pawsplay said:
-The D&D Companion set introduced the first prestige classes, the Druid, Paladin, Avenger, and Knight, accessible to higher level charcters. The AD&D1e bard was similar, but dual classing was very different than modern multiclassing and prestige classing.

the first PrC was the Paladin introduced in Supplement I Greyhawk (1975)

Delta

First Post
The following are not true about Basic D&D..

pawsplay said:
-D&D 3e has a skill system much closer to the RC rules than AD&D non weapon proficiencies
-The D&D Companion set introduced the first prestige classes, the Druid, Paladin, Avenger, and Knight, accessible to higher level charcters. The AD&D1e bard was similar, but dual classing was very different than modern multiclassing and prestige classing.
-Max hit points at first level comes from the Basic DM book.
-D&D 3e uses a Basic initiative system, not AD&D "count down" and certainly no weapon speed.
-All classes are one HD per level.

- 3E skill text is frequently copy-and-pasted from the 2E PHB (check it out).
- Consider 1E Unearthed Arcana's Thief-Acrobat split-class.
- Basic D&D didn't roll initiative individually per character.
- Basic D&D classes did not get one HD each level; they still capped out at level 9 and got small fixed hit points thereafter.

But, this is all beside the point. If you compare text for spells, magic items, and skills, you'll find that the majority has been copy-and-pasted from 1E, 2E AD&D through 3E sources. Conversion documents were published by WOTC to convert characters from 2E AD&D (not any form of Basic), etc.

Remove ads