• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Editions

Thanee

First Post
I think you should update your OS, diaglo, if you have stopped there. ;)

Really, modern Operating Systems are much better than that past-decade (or are that two already?) stuff.

Bye
Thanee

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
These terms are a bit more amorphous to me than to some here, it seems. :)

To me, 0e means the old boxed sets - Basic, Expert, etc.

1e means pretty much anything before 2e that didn't come out of a box, as so much of the later Basic material - particularly adventure modules - was compatible enough to almost be the same.

2e is, well, 2e.

3e in general terms is everything since 3.0 release, including 3.5.

Lanefan the imprecise.

I use:

OD&D (original three booklets)
Holmes (blue book)
B/X (Moldvay/Cook/Marsh. I've also seen B/E used for this)
BECMI (Mentzer)
RC (Rules Cyclopedia)

1E or OAD&D
2E
3E

I picked those up from Dragonsfoot, I guess.

BroccoliRage

First Post
How hard is it?

1e = first edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
2e = second edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

other editions of dunegons and dragons are not advanced, therefore they are referred to as what they are called, Basic (B), Expert (X), Rules Cyclopedia (RC), and so forth.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
BroccoliRage said:
How hard is it?

1e = first edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
2e = second edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

other editions of dunegons and dragons are not advanced, therefore they are referred to as what they are called, Basic (B), Expert (X), Rules Cyclopedia (RC), and so forth.

Not hard at all. Heck, I would wager 95% of gamers that know of the editions in question can follow the abreviations. The other 5% don't care what they are abreviated as.

Course, I don't even understand why this came up in the first place.

We could call 1st ed AD&D "Necter of the Gods", 2nd Edition "Killer of Trees" and 3rd ed "The Game of Endless Supplements". But we won't ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
tenkar said:
We could call 1st ed AD&D "Necter of the Gods", 2nd Edition "Killer of Trees" and 3rd ed "The Game of Endless Supplements". But we won't ;)

i call them poor imitations of the real thing. OD&D(1974) is the only true game.

Allandaros

Explorer
No no, Hussar - that was everything leading up to 2e.

Seriously, why are we bashing/mocking/whatevering the various editions here? The base question's been answered already...

pawsplay

Hero
3E is clearly an evolution of AD&D, not OD&D.

I disagree.

-D&D 3e has a skill system much closer to the RC rules than AD&D non weapon proficiencies
-The D&D Companion set introduced the first prestige classes, the Druid, Paladin, Avenger, and Knight, accessible to higher level charcters. The AD&D1e bard was similar, but dual classing was very different than modern multiclassing and prestige classing.
-Max hit points at first level comes from the Basic DM book.
-Unified weapon damage; AD&D had different weapon damage for larger and smaller opponents.
-D&D 3e uses a Basic initiative system, not AD&D "count down" and certainly no weapon speed.
-No sub classes.
-RC D&D went all the way up to level 36, and offered very advanced versions of dragons and other creatures. AD&D petered out in the teens, offering tables only up to 20th level. Hence, while 3e follows AD&D in form, it is more like RC D&D in that extraordinarily high level play is supported.
-All classes are one HD per level.
-Many feats are lifted from high level fighter options, such as Power Attack/Haymaker.
- Ability score modifiers significant even at modest scores.

3e has a number of similarities to AD&D:
-Separate race and class.
-Ability score modifiers for race.
-Many prestige classes are similar in implementation to AD&D Kits.
-Some of the feats are lifted from Powers & Skills options.
-Nine point alignment system and larger cosmology.
-Existence of specific deities.
-Inclusion of paladin, bard, and druid base classes.

Then there are a number of new features:
-Unified d20 mechanic.
-Assumption that multiple skill points would be spent on skills.
-Feats for everyone.
-Three saves.
-Positive AC.
-9th level cleric spells.
-5' battle grid

I think it is far from clear that D&D 3e is just another edition of AD&D. To me, AD&D was in many ways a sideline full of fiddly bits. D&D 3e is essentially a new game, which borrowed many of its major structures from AD&D along with an AD&D-like assumed world, but still strongly related to the RC material as well. It is most AD&D like in that it has the 9 point alignment system and the Great Wheel, rather than three alignments and no outer planes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads